The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2002, 10:15 PM   #1
gbkwork

Pwr windows and locks

I recently purchased a 72 LWB in Nebraska, drove it back to CA and have been fixing it up since. This week, I am tackling PW and door locks from A1 Electric. After disassembling the doors and looking at the inside I have a question...where to attach the lock actuators? It looks like I can just drill a couple holes in the inside sheet metal (in an area that will be covered by the door panels). Has anyone else installed these? Also, how have you run the wires from door to jam? Help would be appreciated.

In the past couple weeks I've done the following:

17" Torq Thrusts w/ 255 & 275-50 Nittos
Dash pad
Heater controls
HEI disti
Hidden hitch from ECE
Chrome front & rear bumpers
Lighter assembly
New lock cores all around

After the windows & locks this long bed is going to get dropped...thinking 3.5" front & airbags back along with a front end rebuild and sway bar while I've got the thing apart.

It's a '72 Custom 350/350 4bbl and was bone stock when I bought it. This site has been a huge help so far.

Thanks,

gbkwork
gbkwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 11:11 PM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

For the lock actuators, you can squeeze them along near the back edge of the door near the bottom of the door panel area. Make sure you mount them as near vertical as possible so you can get a good push and pull on the lock rod. The old iron may be a little gummed up and harder to move with the motor. Make sure you clean things up in there as best you can and use a light lubricant on the moving parts. As for running wires, this is the age old issue. Most people just poke a hole in the front edge of the door and one in the door jamb and fish the wires through there. Make sure you grommet both holes if you do this. You'll also need to poke a hole in the kick panel up high so you can get the wires into the cab. You can finish off the door jamb with some split loom to cover the wires. If you want something a little cleaner looking, grab the factory rubber pieces out of any later-model car's door jambs. Once you drill the right holes and get these in place, they'll look like they belong there. Or... you can also go with brass contacts. These are pieces that mount on either side of the jamb and only contact each other when the door is closed. These are nice and clean since there are no wires in the jamb but they only work when the door is closed... obviously.

Fingers are tired,

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote