The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Torquewrench

Weird brake turn signal issue

My blinkers used to work great. But I had battery issues on a crappy rainy night and got lazy and let a shop tow it in and put in a new battery and cables.

Picked it up today and was surprised my turn signals didn't work. Headlights and taillights work fine, but when I put the brakes on, even with the key off, both blinker bulbs come on.

I bought gas on the way home, and I think the gas gauge didn't move as much as it should have.

For the life of me I can't imgine what would have changed after just putting cables on and a new battery. Would a dead blinker relay cause symptons like this.

Last edited by Torquewrench; 08-28-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Torquewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Weird brake turn sigal issue

sounds like the button for the 4 ways or hazzard lights is on, and the flasher is broken or missing.

Welcome to the board from central ohio.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 08-27-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Ditto on the welcome, from The Heart of Arkansas!

Say, whatchall doin' lettin' the Russians invade y'all?? You can bet they ain't gonna get in Arkansas!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
jef5150
Inline 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
sounds like the button for the 4 ways or hazzard lights is on, and the flasher is broken or missing.
so i go to the garage,
push in 4 way flasher button
pull flasher unit from fuse panel,
and press on the brake pedal and ..............

my front parking lights come on!!!!!

Dr.Longhorn!....Calling Dr.Longhorn..........

Last edited by jef5150; 08-27-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spehlling
jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 AM   #5
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

you know every time i have had a strange electrical problem, its been a ground issue.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
Torquewrench

I'm not from Georgia, I'm from Tennessee. So I won't get my back up till the ruskies get as far North as Chickamauga. Sounds like a good place to make a stand. Like many, the pursuit of money has stranded me here in the pine barrens. I miss living where the dirt is brown, not bright orange. But it is fun to torment the Dawg fans down here. After last year the orange T makes them nervous.

I believe you guys might be right about the hazard button. When I got stranded I punched it in, but it didn't do anything. But my problem now is that the button feels loose and I can tell when I'm pulling it out, it isn't doing anything. I guess I'll have to get a steering wheel puller and start digging my way through the column, unless there's a way to stick something in from the side and pry it up.

Last edited by Torquewrench; 08-28-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquewrench View Post
<snip>

I believe you guys might be right about the hazard button. When I got stranded I punched it in, but it didn't do anything. But my problem now is that the button feels loose and I can tell when I'm pulling it out, it isn't doing anything. I guess I'll have to get a steering wheel puller and start digging my way through the column, unless there's a way to stick something in from the side and pry it up.
I think you will have to pull the wheel to disengage the hazards. I did anyway.

My problem when I had the same trouble was a bad brake light socket. It allowed one contact post on the bulb to touch both contacts inside the socket. It took me forever to find it..... I would try some ground straps too. I made up a wire (about 4' long) with alligator clips on both ends and just connected it temporarily wherever I thought the ground might be bad.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
68K30

Pull all of your turn signal and brake light bulbs. Sometimes when the filaments break or burn out they drop onto the other filament inside the bulb. I have seen this happen at least a dozen times.There is also the possibility that someone forced either the wrong bulb on the correct bulb backwards into the socket
68K30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Torquewrench

I'm thinking it isn't bulb or ground related because most everything was working great on my truck until I switched the battery and cables out. Can't see that changing much, but if the hazard switch is stuck in, it might. The hazards never worked so, I'm thinking if I can get it disengaged, I might be alright.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would pull the wheel and turn off the 4 ways...you'll want to disconnect the battery first... we won't talk about how I know this... just remember, the steering column is metal, and bolted to the dash, which is part of the cab, which is grounded to the frame.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
jef5150
Inline 69

Quote:
I'm thinking if I can get it disengaged, I might be alright.
I went and duplicated your symptons/longhornmans solution last night{previous reply},and my front parking lights came on just like yours do,so im with him on the problem/solution.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If your turn signals work, take that flasher unit and put it in your 4way slot in the fuse panel.....if the 4way button IS broke off in the "on position" your 4ways will start to flash.

This will verify its stuck on!!

jeff
Old 08-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
Torquewrench

During lunch I pulled the hazard flasher from the fuse panel. Like I said, the hazards never worked before, so most likely the hazard flasher is no good. Anyway, since it was easy to reach I pulled it to see if anything improved.

The directional lights on the dash still light up when I hit the brakes and the turn signals still don't work, but I was relieved to see the gas gauge was back to normal. Pretty important these days. So I'm 95% sure the stuck hazard switch is the culprit.

I'll try plugging up the turn signal flasher when I get home from work. Would it be along the trunk of the harness behind the dash? Or is it attached back there somewhere?

Anyone have a picture of what the hazard switch looks like in the column to help me know what I'm looking for? I haven't had much luck googling for one.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #13
GMCBubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquewrench View Post
Anyone have a picture of what the hazard switch looks like in the column to help me know what I'm looking for? I haven't had much luck googling for one.
look for "turn signal switch." it's all incorporated. i have my new one ready to go in. they have replacements at your local parts store (with the modern style hazard knob) but the original red hazard knob will have to be acquired online or from board vendor
Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #14
jef5150
Inline 69

try the simple stuff first!

Quote:
and the turn signals still don't work,
if your 4way button "IS" pushed in, regardless if they work or not,your turn signals will NOT work!
The 4way OVERIDES turn signals on ALL cars.

first thing i would do is buy 2 NEW flasher relays and replace both in your fuse panel.That way you'll know for sure if the button is pushed.You'll either see the lights flashing or hear the relay "clicking"...

*Then you can pull the wheel.

Im just trying to save you some time to make sure that the button is in fact broken off in the "on position", before you pull the steering wheel.

You probably WILL have to pull the wheel and replace the harness, but why not spend $8 for 2 relays to make 100% sure you needed to.

(SOMETIMES EVEN BRAND NEW PARTS ARE BAD)

jeff
Attached Images