The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Rreemo

Looking for some opinions on a potential purchase

I've decided to abort my frame off project, selling everything, and looking to buy a truck that is already much further along. This is mostly due to not having enough time to work on my truck all the time, but also realizing that I can sell off most of what I have for almost enough to buy a decent truck.

That brings the purpose of this thread. When I made this decision I remembered a truck that was once for sale from another board that I frequent...on a slim chance I tracked the guy down and found out that the truck had never sold and was still sitting in his garage - not currently up for sale, but he would still sell it for the right price. The truck is a 67' SWB - started life as a plain jane 6cylinder, 3 on the tree, and step bed. It now has a fleet bed on it, and the following stuff:

- Fresh 350/350 drivetrain
- Auto Column (non tilt)
- Fresh 12-bolt with 3.73 posi (5-lug)
- 79' Cross member with disc and all new hardware up front
- upgraded rear Suburban drums
- All new body bushings and hardware
- New plumbing
- Blazer gas tank
- seats and door panels done in gray tweed
- New carpet and insulation
- all new rubber seals (except for wing windows)
- New forward and rear harnesses from M&H (still stock under dash harness)
- All new lights, lenses, etc.
- New re-pop bumpers front & rear
- all new window cranks, handles, locks, strikers, scuff plates, etc.
- Headers and new exhaust with Flowmasters dumped just ahead of the rearend.

...plus several other items. All-in-all, the truck has been sourced out mechanically....runs & drives good, and the work that has been done was done right. A big plus is that it has original sheet metal and never rusted in the rockers, corners, floor, drip rail, etc. The truck has been painted a Land Rover Moss green, but they added flattener to the paint so it has a satin type finish....could easily be mistaken for primer, looks good to me, but probably a like-it or hate-it type of deal. It has repop front fenders, and still has all of the trim holes, but he doesn't have any of the trim for it. The bed on this truck is one of the nicest I have seen, but it came off of a 69', so they had to fill the side markers, which are now cracking some - so that is something that will need to be fixed.

The truck also has 6" dropped springs in the back with 3" spindles and 3" springs in the front. It's too low, especially in the front, and so much so that he has been unable to find anyone that could align it. It is also missing the inner fenders, but they wouldn't clear the tires b/c of how low it is. The owner has also used some painted steel wheels with big white walls for a nostalgic theme....got to say, it looks unique for sure, but just not my style....so it will need wheels/tires to suit me.

Nevertheless, if I were to buy it, I'd immediately need to buy some springs to get it sitting more reasonable and then have it aligned. I'd also want to change the wheels/tires too, and add some front inner fenders. With the paint the way it is, I think it might look cool with the trim back on it, but of course that is no cheap add either.

Bottom line is that the guy has said $8500...he might be a little nego, I'm not sure. I know that he has a lot more than that in it and it doesn't seem too far out to me....but I wanted to see what some of you think? He seems to know what he's talking about, has done some great work on the truck, and on top of everything else he's a nice guy too.

Beyond the things I've already pointed out, I would likely want to do a Vintage Air kit on it and some sort of OD trans. The truck will be a crusier for me, and would want it to be able to make some road trips.

I guess what I'm wondering - is the price right considering the amount that I'll end up spending for the things I've listed above?

Here's some pics:

00=ss=00
Rreemo is offline   Reply With Quote