The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
chev-obsession

sound system help

i have a 69 chevy 1/2 ton and i want to put a stereo system in it. i have the original a.m stero in the original location. i was thinking about putting the new deck in my glovebox and putting 2 6 x9's under the dash. i dont have much room for speakers. i have a gas tank behind the seat and i dont want any holes in my doors. also i was thinking about a sub, any pictures or ideas would help. i dont know a whole lot when it comes to subs and amps. so what do you guys think i should do? ( how many speakers, a sub, an amp?) i dont want to break the bank, i just want some good sound.
chev-obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: sound system help

You make it hard (no speakers in the doors and save money). My 72 (many years ago) had 6 X 9 speakers in the door bottoms, Also a set of 6" round speakers cut into the valance area just below the rear window (one on each side of the cab). Sound was decent and not too awful tinny sounding. However cutting was done.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
haysonj

I put two 8 in subs with a 400 watt amp under the seat. Bought the kick panels with speakers then replaced the speakers with a better quality. I also have a duel range duel cone speaker that fits in the original dash location. Real nice sound and if you turn the base up you get a nice vibration in the seat. With the Alpine deck and IPOD I have about 1500 in it.

Last edited by haysonj; 10-02-2008 at 07:08 PM.
haysonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
leddzepp

Get the kick panels with speakers in them...if you can afford it, get the ones that have the Pioneer speakers. Your sound quality is determined by the speakers, not the radio. You can get a Customautosound radio that fits in the stock location, and looks original. A lot of dudes on here do not like them, but again, if you get good speakers it sounds great. Stereo is about $180, speakers/kick panels are about the same, so about $360-$400
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
drewdude92
72 chevys 4 life

if you want a sub get a shallow mount i have a kicker cvt shallow mount under the passenger seat with a 600 watt kicker amp running it. You will have to make the box by yourself it was pretty easy ill take a pic of mine sometime for you when i pull it out. And when your making that box to get it under the seat you gotta take the bolts holding the seat down and lift it up to get it under there.
drewdude92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #6
AceX
>130dB Moderator

See this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=308093

I'll be doing a write up on this shortly. I just need to get my hands on some tweeters and mini amps and I'm set.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Talking Re: sound system help

On my 71 I had two small 3 way speakers in my dash where my heater vents went But of course I didnt have a working heater at the time and a 6 or 8 inch maybe a 4inch not sure its been a long time, Bazoka upright on the passenger side corner behind the seat powerd by a 300watt kicker amp! It sounded great the only problem was the seat was moved forward a bit! I also didnt have a stock seat I had a later Suburban seat! This is what I think I will be doing with my 72 I hope it works with the stock seat!!!!!!!!! Any one else ever done this?
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
wHATANERD

I built my own boxes and install two 8 inch subs and a amp under the seat, and kick panal covers with 6 inch coaxial speakers in them. It sound pretty go considering the acostics of a 69 Chevy pickup cab. I also don't want to cut anything in my cab

Old Chevy's Never Die, They Just Rust Around The Edges
wHATANERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
chev-obsession

ok, you guys have good ideas. i dont listen to rap. mainly country music. so i dont need that much stereo power. also i have a well built motor that takes a little noise, and no a/c so in summer time the windows are always down. also where i live it is pretty common for stereo type things to be stolen and i dont want $1500 worth of subs and speakers in a truck that is easily to be broken into. i just want something pretty simple that makes good sound. but i appreciate the help. also could you guys post pictures of your stereo syatems? thanks
Old 10-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Sticky at the top of the forum is for sound system show-off.

The approach I purpose is completely stealth and cannot be seen at all. It's also not the cheapest. I suggest investing in an alarm of course. You'd be surprised how many potential thieves get scared off by that little blinking light...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
mine4now

AceX, I do plumbing and we use these rubber couplers called "Ferncos". I was actually looking at attaching a 2" fernco to the bottom of the dash vent and then using a 2" ABS tee fitting to be able to use the heater/defroster but still be able to mount a speaker below the tie in-for the heater. I am really concerned about the sound because a 4" speaker would be playing through a 2" hole, but a 3" speaker might not have the fullness. In the stock location I plan on putting either a 6 1/2" or 6X9" (not a two or three way) speaker running mono or as a center channel. Hopefully that will bring the sound up and have rich full sound. Any input?
mine4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Regardless of speaker size, it's not going to sound good coming through that small opening. Basically what you're doing is creating a bandpass or port type situation. The small 2" hole is obviously not tuned to any sort of useable frequency, and you'll be hearing sound coming from the vents as well.

It will sound like total garbage basically.

I suggest a set of 4" components for under the dash and adding a 10" sub either behind the seat or under it, or both.

EDIT: The best way to get rich, full sound, is going to be with a set of kick panels and components, but then that's more fab time and it can be seen from the outside.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Last edited by AceX; 10-04-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #13
mine4now

I though the set-up I described might cause an echo effect, but I was trying to find any solution that would not involve changing the stock apperance of the truck. Have you heard of anyone getting a 6 1/2" or 6X9" speaker to fit the stock location? Recently I picked up a stock chevy radio that does not work so I can trim the back side to make space for a larger speaker.
mine4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:04 AM   #14
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I haven't seen a 6.5 or 6x9 in the dash. I don't believe that there is enough room due to vents and other things under the dash.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 10-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
chev-obsession

i went today to go look at some stuff. for now to get started i think that i am just going to get a deck and speakers. the place i went to said that 2 alpine 6x9 speakers would be $170 and the deck would be $140 for a kenwood with a remote. my question is where to mount the speakers? i was thinking under the seat, but i didnt know what kind of sound that i would get. i am going to put the deck inside the glovebox. this might be a stupid question but if i were to get a deck that came with a remote would the remote signal go through the glovebox door? my guess is probably not....
Old 10-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #16
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev-obsession View Post
i went today to go look at some stuff. for now to get started i think that i am just going to get a deck and speakers. the place i went to said that 2 alpine 6x9 speakers would be $170 and the deck would be $140 for a kenwood with a remote. my question is where to mount the speakers? i was thinking under the seat, but i didnt know what kind of sound that i would get. i am going to put the deck inside the glovebox. this might be a stupid question but if i were to get a deck that came with a remote would the remote signal go through the glovebox door? my guess is probably not....

For the most part the remote would not work through the door. It needs a "Line of Sight" to get the remote to work right.

6X9 speakers will not sound to great unless you give them something to create a proper box for them. They depend on the enclosure behind them to give them the sound depth that makes them have a bass and mid bass effect. You will either have to build a box under each side or find a body panel that will give them some room. Hving them under the seat will not be effective when you are drinving down the road, because the type of sound that comes from a 6X9 is not bass predominant and you will have to turn up the radio to get any sound to your ears. Especially if your windows are rolled down.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
chev-obsession

ya i forgot to mention that i was going to get some boxes. i wasnt sure where to put them so i will have to get some boxes and see where i can put them.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
Willy Prost

What I have done regarding the center dash speaker location...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...07#post2557107

I have used a variety of speakers stuck under the seat (mostly 6x9 refugees from another project).

The latest incarnation for rear speakers are a pair of 5 1/4 speakers from another project that I have atop the gas tank stuck in the corners.

Then I placed under the bench seat a Kenwood shallow mount sub that I got from Crutchfield
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GtpUSX3...KSCSW10&tp=114
Willy Prost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #19
imillionmax

I got a shop to install two 6x9's under the dash, they built some custom boxes and mounted them in there so you can't see them and they are not taking any leg room, I also have a amp under the seat. I'll post pics and a review when I get the truck in about 3 weeks on this thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=308093
good luck!
imillionmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #20
chev-obsession

i bought a kenwood deck, and 2 6x9's. i got 2 boxes, and i can only find one spot to put one of them, and i can put one of them in the passenger side cab corner. where are you guys putting 6x9's? i dont want to put them in the doors, and i dont want them under the seat.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #21
chev-obsession

we got power hooked up to the stereo and it works! we tried it out and hooked a speaker up to it. it works like a dream!!! i think i found a place to put the speakers under the dash.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 AM   #22
72swb_327stroker_?
knuckle buster..

wow.....

i really cant believe what i am reading.

sorry bros you all got it wrong, no place that you mount those 6x9's in the truck will sound good.

i have been doing high end sound systems for a very long time...12+ years... been around for a lot of fads, and a lot of dud ideas... 6x9's in boxes are the biggest one! so you wanna take a 200 dollar pair of speakers put them in a box and shove em under the seat AND expect sound quality?

not gonna work.. i am sorry to say.

ace had it right... the best sound would be either from a component 4-5-or 6" set in kick panels.... BUT... here is the thing... pre-fabbed kick panels are not meant for quality sound staging by any means! they are just a way to mount speakers in a basically wasted space, and save you from cutting into metal work. kick panels(to be efficient) need to be "aimed" or directed towards the listeners "sweet spot"(listening/ear range)

to many variables in our tin can trucks full of reflective materials to get good sound staging out of em'

so sticking the 6x9s in boxes and shoving em under the seat wont do anything for the $200+ dollars you just spent.

and good quality sound IS factored by a combination of ALL components... not just speakers! wires... connections... amps... stereos or head units... speakers... insulation... boxes.. box materials... all factors, not just speakers! a good head unit will make the world of difference even in the cheapest of speakers... trust me!

and the speakers that come in pre-popped kick panels suck butt.
your not going to get quality sound out of a 60 dollar pair of speakers... especially in kick panels! in a kick panel you would need speaker cups in order to produce any kind of healthy sound from the speakers. even then they are aimed at your knees! do you have ears down there?

i don't mean to offend anyone, or thread crap here... but i am offering professional advise/help to you all. i have been doing this too long to not be of use here... i get fantastic ideas, and mod diy info, help from all of you whenever i ask here... so i owe it to the community...

feel free to ask questions...

more than happy to help.

btw, i have done more than 15 custom installs in our trucks so far, but thousands of high end installs over the years.

cheers!
Eric

THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

Check out my suburban on 20's with fresh paint!
Click here to support the site
Check out the Member Photo Gallery here
StreetCruizin
FAQ thread
Site vendors list (scroll down to vendors in red)
join the the smilies fight club
72swb_327stroker_? is offline   Reply With Quote