The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2002, 03:15 AM   #1
bodad

A/C help needed

I am doing a complete rebuild on my newly acquired '70 SW and wanted to put the a/c components back on. The problem is that the alternator is now on the side that the original compressor was on. I have had 3 of these trucks and they were all that way when I got them. I know it is probably a later model 350 that was put in in all three cases. My question is why are the alternators on the right side now and what is required to switch it back to original (just a bracket?). Thanks for the help in advance.
bodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 08:38 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

On your switching the alternator to the drivers side question, it can be done but you will need to change the whole setup unless you can find an aftermarket bracket. You probably have a
long water pump pulley setup and you will want to go to a short water pump setup. You will need the three pulley set to bolt up to the balancer, the altenator support and adjusting brackets and the AC brackets in addition to a different water pump and pulley.

I would suggest posting on the parts board for the needed parts.

The wiring may be a problem, also.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 12:36 AM   #3
bodad

Does anyone have a good close-up picture of the brackets on the engine? 350
bodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 02:42 PM   #4
billogna

Mine was the same way when I bought it. Someone had installed a '76 block and left the '73 n up brackets/ long water pump and installed aftermarket headers. I tried looking at trucks at car shows, but I guess most people prefer the newer setup. I found most of the the brackets I needed in junkyards, along with the ramshorn manifolds. I bought a couple others, such as the one that mounts to the intake, in various catalogs (Chevy Duty comes to mind, but I can check if you want). This process took about four years, and I finally found the three-groove pullys this Spring, so that's when I installed everything. I still need a different crank pully, though. Mine has a space in between the middle and outside groove, so I am not using my outside groove, and have the compressor being run by only the water pump- I don't like it. I got my water pump from Autozone- for a '67 Vette(sounds cooler). Hopefully, whoever swapped engines in your truck left the original firewall box. Wiring is the easy part- just one wire to engage the clutch on the compressor, mine was still intact, though brittle. You can look in cars for brackets too, up to '68? Compressors were the same for much longer- mine is from a '77 Coupe De Ville. Just have to watch which side the clutch connector is on with those. I grabbed one from a '66 Catalina, and it was backwards. I just went outside and took some pics of mine, don't know how "correct" it is, hopefully others will help or criticize, as well...
Attached Images

'84 Chev K20 350/4 spd
'91 GMC 1500 Suburban 4x4, 350/700R4
billogna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 02:44 PM   #5
billogna

another
Attached Images

billogna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 02:45 PM   #6
billogna

and alternator