The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Will this setup work?

Hey guys, just a quick question for you. For Christmas my parents are getting me a new carb for my truck and I need to know if this set-up will work with my 250 l-6. I've got the stock intake manifold so it's set up for the 1 bbl carb. That's where the adapter plate comes in if I'm correct, and then we have the carb. Here's what I'm looking at getting.

http://www.carburetion.com/adapt/adapt3.asp
Second one from the bottom for the Holley 2 bbl to Chevy Six Manifold

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-7448K/10002/-1
Holley 2bbl 350 cfm

I just want to know if this will be okay for my daily driver and what all will need to be done if anything to get it to work. Will it just bolt straight up with the adapter plate and onto the manifold or will I need to make adjustments?

Thanks,
Dylan
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Re: Will this setup work?

Here's what I can say for sure- for awhile I was running a 32/36 Weber with the dual-into-single adaptor that www.stoveboltengineco.com sells. While it worked ok for awhile, it wasn't that great and too small for the engine/truck combo.

Although the Holly carb you're considering is bigger, I suspect you'll still have issues with the fuel feed/distribution trying to get through the stock small hole. I suspect it would take the form of super lean #1 and #6 cyl's. Personally, I'd prefer an Offy 4bbl manifold and get the Clifford 2bbl-into-4bbl adaptor if you've just got to have a 2bbl. I just think you'll have better success and driveability. Also, before I got my 4bbl setup, a local import tuner mechanic said I'd get better throttle response and performance with a 500 2bbl based on his experiences with others that had done it. I never did find out for sure.

Fwiw, I have the adaptor I just mentioned and I just took photos the other day to post it up for sale. I'll offer it to you first if you want it.

I always thought it would be really cool to machine the base of the stock manifold to accept a big 2 bbl manifold like what you're referring to. I just never tried it. You might still need an adaptor flange, but would look and probably perform better. Maybe you have some machinist friend that could do this on the cheap. We all know the stock intakes are throwaway parts and it won't hurt if it doesn't work and you have to get another one.

I just noticed you're in FL. A guy on the www.inliners.org site with the board name Twisted6 (Frank) is in your same town I believe. He's one of the nation's experts on these L6's and hopping them up. He'll know for sure what will and won't work.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 11-21-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Re: Will this setup work?

I'll certainly keep you in mind on the adapter, I still need a little more info. What problems did you have with the 2bbl carb? Was it hard to get adjusted or did it just perform horribly? I can't afford the new 4 bbl intake at the moment but it is something I will be getting down the road. I'm working with what I have here.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote