The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
jwmdnm

Replacing ball joints on '67 shortie

I've never replaced ball joints on anything before and am a little anxious about it since I've heard things can go very wrong without very special equipment and/or lots of experience.

Anybody have strongly held opinions and/or experiences they would share on whether or not replacing the ball joints is a suitable challenge for the home shop vs. taking the truck to a shop that is well equipped to do such things?

Thanks in advance

Jim
jwmdnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
squid72

Re: Replacing ball joints on '67 shortie

The thing about ball joints is the coil spring, the trick is to be smart and not scared. I assume its a 2wd. As long as you keep a jack under the control arm then you have nothing to worry about. Some people just use a hammer to knock em in and out, or you can hit the local parts store and get a ball joint press(they usually rent em for free). Stop and talk to a local alignment man and he'll give you some good pointers. It's a fairly simple job. But I've done front end work all my life too. Good luck man.
squid72 is offline   Reply With Quote