The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2002, 01:52 AM   #1
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Wink Allright,, Who nipped me?????????

I was bidding on a CARGO light on E-bay, I had it, up till the last minute and someone outbid me... Ok, Who was it......????

And I thought I was getting a heck of a deal.

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 03:03 AM   #2
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

oh yeah?i had a emergency brake cover for 67-68 trucks,guy literally got me in the last minute!just last nite!
'96 gmc sonoma sle ext-cab. hey it's a 4cyl. 5 spd and good on gas y'know?
BUXMAN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 03:32 AM   #3
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Not to change the subject, but I've been watching a couple items on ebay that I want for my truck, and since they had a few days left on the auction, I got out the assorted catalogs I have and discovered that the catalog price was less than the starting bid on ebay. Do your homework is all I can say, along with a close eye on the quality of the item you are looking for.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:02 AM   #4
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

amen,bro.!!seen it happen myself a few times.......actually i've been there b-4!started scratchin' my head .."i wonder how much at brother's or pauls for this part?"
Old 12-15-2002, 04:20 AM   #5
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Ebay is just cluttered with all of that new repro stuff...starting at the retail prices & hoping to go higher. What a scam! And it just plugs up the other good stuff, so you can't find it. I hate to see anyone go for that and get taken. I understand it is some employees of a couple of the bigger/catalog companies. If it sells, they just pull it off the shelf and send it. They don't even have a buck invested in the parts.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:23 AM   #6
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Ebrake cover

Buxman, I thought Tim had that cover for you. I didn't check because I didn't want to step on his deal.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:34 AM   #7
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

YEP .. YOU REALLY HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU CAN GET IT NEW (REPOP) ELSEWHERE FOR. THERES ALOT OF BARGAINS OUT THERE, BUT THERES ALSO ALOT OF UNSCUPULUS SELLERS THAT DON'T HAVE A CLUE, ARE JUST FISHIN FOR A SUCKER, & HAVE NO FEELING,LET ALONE LOVE FOR THESE OLD TRUCKS.

LIKE AN OLD MAN I USED TO KNOW ALWAYS SAID ..... "YOU HAVE TO SEPARATE THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF"
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 12:13 PM   #8
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

no, I got you guys beat on this one. I was bidding on a set of NOS 4x4 full wheel cover hub caps. They were pretty straight and looked really good. Well, to make a long story straight, I had been watching the auction all week long. I had the highest bid at about $16. When some guy bought them in the last 30 sec. and I couldn't get out another bid. I hate when people do that. Sorry if it was one of you guys and I am bad mouthing or whatever. Those just would of looked sweet on the SUPER. Alright I am done complaining, it goes to show that you can get some good deals though.
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 12:46 PM   #9
RON WOODGEARD

I was bidding on a Factory Cargo light, And it's Junkyard Johns fault.... I had thought about making one into a third brake light, Then I seen Johns pictures and knew I wanted one, I had this bid for $26.00 Light and wiring. I try to keep a couple of catalogues around to do a search, when I go on E-bay.

Being into Radio Control stuff ("stuff" reads big boy toys) I found a small electric saw that was just perfect for cutting balsa strips, I won it at $29.00.. I later found it at HARBOUR FREIGHT for $19.95 brand new. So yea, Proof in point...... Do some research. or be ready to be embarassed, at least to yourself.

This e-bay users name is "292ace" If it's none of you guys, I need to send him an invite. I did a search on his user name,Feedback, and he buys a lot of our years truck parts.

But I just wanted to flip one of you guys some teasingly Shi** It was down to the last 6 minutes, I was ready to pay for it with Pay Pal. Oh well, I hope the bulbs burned out (not really, I hope it's in great shape & he or she won one)

RON
Old 12-15-2002, 12:58 PM   #10
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

The way to assure that you won't get sniped at the last minute one ebay is to bid what you are willing to pay to begin with. ebay will only increase your bid as high as it needs to put you back on top again and will stop increasing your bid when it has reached the amount you entered. Then if the bidding goes higher than what you entered, it is higher than you were willing to pay to begin with. You can't stop the sniping and the snipers, you can count on that. The snipers hope you only bid enough to open bidding and not any higher than that. That is why you will always see the bids increase in the last couple of minutes or so. There are even bidding companies out there that will snipe for someone for a minimal charge. E-snipe is one of them. So if you want the part bid what you are willing to pay..... Then if you are outbid at the last second it is because the price of the itom went higher than you were willing to pay to begin with and you won't feel so bad when you loose it... Hopefully then you will have made the sniper pay through the nose to get the part. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 01:24 PM   #11
RON WOODGEARD

That's what I always do. ( I didn't know there was a company that would do it for you though) But every once in a while you get someone who wants it at the last minute worse then you.... & this guy wasn't even bidding on it in Bid History.

His user name is 262ace, not 292ace....

ok whoever it is, you can stand up now....

I sent him an invite through E-bay...
Old 12-15-2002, 01:51 PM   #12
hjalbert
cracker

sniping

whats funny about the whole sniping thing, is that often times, i will look at an item and really want to bid on it, but i wont, i feel it is retarded to bid on something early, only so someone can out bid you. not sure if this makes any sence, but put it this way, how many times have you looked at the bid history of an item and seen some person go in and bid like 16 different times, just trying to ebat your one bid. he doesnt want to go to high though, for fear someone will bid his up. thats why i wait till the last minute, and bid only once. it probalbly saves me and alot of other people money. (allthough i am not the guy in question)

Harry John Albert III
located in Phoenix, AZ
1972 GMC JIMMY,
1969 lwb Chevy Frame,
1999 bmw k1200 ltc
1992 Kawasaki concours
1991 bmw k75
1973 cortez motorhome
hjalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 04:14 PM   #13
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Don't run the price up!

hj: That sure seems to make sense to me. I don't want to spend a week bidding the price up. I want to wait until the end and then bid to buy...just like you would in a "real" auction. I think the ebay bid for you thing doesn't work if more than one person uses it. Ebay just runs both bids up to the max until one is higher. I haven't tried the Esnipe thing...so don't know much about it.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:10 PM   #14
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

yeah,pickmup i got my e.brake cover like i was wantin'.got one through tim christian down in tenn. actually paid the exact same price as the guy who beat me out on e-bay!(31.00+4.00 shippin')tim sold me his for 35.00(shippin' included)
Old 12-15-2002, 05:33 PM   #15
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Tim's got good stuff!

Hard to find...nice improvement...covers up the "ugly"!
Old 12-15-2002, 06:49 PM   #16
mikep
Used to have a truck

I used to buy a lot of stuff on ebay. About half of what I got was actually what I thought I was going to get . The other stuff was totally misrepresented crap!
I stopped buying off ebay. Too many people selling stuff that isnt what they claim it is either because they dont know what it is or they just are trying to pull a scam.

I also used a few sniping programs. I lost out on a lot of auctions because of them. They are supposed to bid in the last few seconds of an auction so that your "competitors" dont have a chance to counterbid and you dont get run up to the full amount of what you might authorize ebay to bid. I found their services worked about 1/3 of the time. The other times they would claim excessive internet traffic and I would lose the auction even though I had arrainged to bid a higher price. Happened 4 times in one week.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:01 PM   #17
Desert Rat

On ebay i wait until the last 30 seconds to buy,and if its at only $9 and im willing to pay $30 i put in $30 at the last few moments,so it doesnt give the other guy time to up it.its part of the game and depends how bad you want something.I try not to bid on anything before its ending time,then it will be a back and fourth price war.Ive stayed up until very late at night starring at the computer screen hitting refresh numerous times until about last few moments.Ive lost stuff by being sniped but its all part of the game and its fare.no rules against it.sucks when it happens to me but i understand thats how it goes.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 07:30 PM   #18
slam33

I picked up a new cargo lite last week on E-bay for 4.99. Hey the guy wasn't sure what it fit but I did. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1874091433

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 07:49 PM   #19
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Cool Sorry about the nipping!

Ron,
Sorry that it worked out the way it did. Like I said before, it is the best way to get what you want without paying more than what you want to pay. I have watched a bunch of parts go sky high because of bidding wars. Some people may not like it, but like Desertrat says, no rules against it and it is fair.

With all of that said, I am new to the site so don't be too hard on me. I have found some useful information on quite a few things. I also like the Blue smiley face icon that turns into a Bowtie

Don

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:19 PM   #20
Truck Hippy

Desert Rat has it right on the money. One time i set my alarm clock to 3:15am just to bid on some 67-68 camaro stuff. Well i still lost. Thats the way it goes.
Truck Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:23 PM   #21
Desert Rat

Its part of the game!!! sometimes it sucks but,its how alot of things are good deals if you bid to earl,i like to see that happen on my auctions,people bid early then the price war begins.
Hey welcome Arad68 one of the best truck sites there is,people will flip you crap now and then,just dont take it persional im a member of about 10 boards everyone butts heads occasionally on all of them.you should go into the tattoo forums you wanna see it nasty,or the controversial venemous reptile owners boards-whew let me tell you.Have fun-Rat
Old 12-15-2002, 08:29 PM   #22
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

I have to agree with DR and Truck Hippy. The whole auction is played out in the last minute and that is just the name of the game. The nice thing about services like E Snipe is that you can set your max and forget about it. The service won't bid until the last 30 seconds or so. This way you don't get caught up in an emotional bidding war and pay too much!

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:35 PM   #23
minibike

I open up two screens...one with the auction to refresh and check out the time remaining, and the other with my bid, all the way through the last "confirm bid" button, ready to go. The cable modem helps alot, but I usually wait until at least 3-7 seconds before the end. It drives me nuts seeing people biddign 6 days before the auction ends, unless it's my auction...
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 11:13 PM   #24
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Butt Heads

Did DR say there were buttheads on this board? Oh, sometimes people butt heads on this board...I wonder what he meant. I have never noticed any head butting.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:29 PM   #25
Desert Rat

Yeah the biggest butthead is Pickmups(i mean head butter)LOL sorry Frank.something made me do it!!!