The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
72BlazerFC
Freedom Fighter U.S.Army

New Soft top info

I found this on the Blazer Forum website. Post date was April 18th '09
Hello,
My name is Michael Palmer and I am new here to this forum. I just purchased my first 1971 Jimmy and after a week of research I realized there is no manufactures producing a soft top anymore.

The main reason for this thread is after my research on soft tops and found a manufacturer willing to get involved and produce a new soft top. It is the Softopper company out of Boulder Co.
http://www.softopper.com/
I spoke with the owner Larry twice and he is looking for a rig to examine, and he said he would like to produce them and add to his business.

If anyone lives in the Boulder area that could help out by meeting Larry and showing him their rig it would move this forward even faster.

Many of the concerns I have read about are drilling holes, Style, having removable back windows, and Price all of which Larry understands and will accommodate.

I'm sure many of you loyal members here have had your hopes up before but this can really happen with positive feedback here and a show of hands on who is really interested.

I not a salesman for this company and I don't get any commission for my time, I just want a nice new soft top available again like anybody else would want.

Please post your thoughts and concerns here about the construction of the new top design. And take a look at there website.
72BlazerFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: New Soft top info

Why does someone have to reinvent the wheel evertime they think about producing a soft top for the Blazer? Keep it simple! Why not just copy an existing Bestop, Kayline, or STC design? Use an original top as a template for the vinyl, sew in some zippers, press in some snaps, bend some electrical conduit for bows, cut some aluminum angle for bed rails, and voila! Sell them for $500 a piece and make a mint. Judging by the design and materials that went into my Bestop, any semi-competant upoholstery shop worth its weight in sweatshop workers could pull one of these off. Sorry for the rant. Just my $0.02.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
72BlazerFC
Freedom Fighter U.S.Army

I hear ya. I emailed them the Installation guide from Bestop with all the parts on it. When I get back in mid June I'm gonna try making one. Like you said it can't be that hard.
72BlazerFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
72truckman

This one sounds legit and his website backs it up...

His 3rd gen Blazer top looks sweet!http://www.softopper.com/Softopper_M...20Blazer%20All

If he could keep that price the same or a little lower, make it fully retractable and have a system so i don't have to drill for snaps, he would have a business monopoly and clientele from not only board members but the entire Blazer community.

****SOLD!!!!!**** 1965 GMC 4X4
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=294727
72truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
highrpm

I agree the one he shows for newer Blazer looks great!
highrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I think they should just copy one that was previously made. Someone already did the engineering. I would try to reproduce the STC fastrac or the STC/Kayline snap tops. I personally think they looked and fit much better than all the Bestops I've seen. I currently have an STC fastrac, but I've also had a Kayline top. I paid roughly $700 for my fastrac.

They are more than welcome to come out to Seattle and measure my STC Fastrac top.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
OleSenna
Roof: Bad. Sky: Good.

I'm good for one. but I gotta say I'll believe it when I see it. How many times have we gone through this exercise?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Musclerodz

I have most the raw material sitting in my Blazer project to do a foldable top. The hard part is making a seal for the windshield. I just have been waiting to start until I get back to the Blazer in another couple months
Old 05-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
1971 GMC Jimmy

Hey Gang, I am Michael Palmer and yes I was the person who called Softopper and asked them to produce this top. I spoke with them again today and they are currently working out the rear hatch. They just emailed me more pictures and it folds down really nice in the back. I don't know how to insert the pictures on this forum, hopefully someone call let me know or I can email them the picture so they can upload them.

mike@racefan.tv
1971 GMC Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
1971 GMC Jimmy

More Pictures
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
1971 GMC Jimmy

This is NOT my Truck. Just the pictures sent from Softopper to me today.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

They did a very good job on the area where the window meets the top - looks very good! Thanks for the additional pics and for getting this to happen.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
smbrouss70

It looks real good.... BUT, there is no way I'm going to drill holes to put snaps in my Blazer's body.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #14
1971 GMC Jimmy

I here you. I'm wondering if there isn't another way to secure the front edge.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

I agree with everyone and the front snaps. Looking at it I think one might be able to make a piece that bolts to the existing sunvisor/hold-down holes that will allow you to mount the snaps with out screwing holes in the edge. Ideally they would just use the lip design that Jeeps have. Also, on their website it says that the tops are only available in black. I would really like mine in white.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #16
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

I really like the frame separate from the fold down part in the second group of pictures. It would be really easy to put a bikini top on, a definite plus for all of us that don't have roll cages.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

2017 Silverado LT

Last edited by JayDubBlazer; 05-26-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: didn't quote the picture
Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #17
'68OrangeSunshine

I agree on the white tops. With a black top in the desert sun, you could just about bake bread in the console.
Khaki would be cool also.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #18
RLONG

Smile Re: New Soft top info

I am with Yukon my stc leaks like crazey around the windows.
RLONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #19
scoyote

I stopped in and met with Larry a few days ago.
I am doing a frame up restore and I'm not at all interested in drilling holes in the windshield so I'm trying to work on something that will bolt to the existing hole for the hard top and behind the visor mounts that will let you have snaps at the top.

Then I can heat/stick some top notch velcro instead of snaps and that should hold it with the help of snaps on the inside of the windshield frame.

Not sure if I explained that very good....????

I will tell you that the tops he is working on are top notch and the snaps are made to work with existing Bestop locations.

Larry is also working on a bikini combo that will allow you to unsnap just behind the roll bar and leave the top on the cab and take the rest off but didn't have a prototype to check out.

Very good product, quality material and Larry seems to care about getting it done correctly.

If I can work out a better arrangement for the snaps....I'm gonna try to get him to customize one for me.

I want one.....I just don't want to drill holes in my brand new tub.

1991 F250 - Hunting truck w/ Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front and rear winches .... and more....
1997 Grand Cherokee - fun jeep - Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front winch, 411 gears, lots of lights ;-)
2004 Hot Rod DuraMax - Dnyo'd at the wheels with 525 HP and 1100 lbs torque.....mustang killer.
scoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #20
BigRed Beast

I have what may dismissed as a stupid idea, but...

It seems to me one of our members fabricated a rail/channel system by fiberglassing a piece of angle which was cut and curved to match the windshield. I'm not sure how he attached his top--bikini, Besttop or otherwise, but...

How about a U channel, longer flange on the bottom, with holes to match our existing tops? Glass the front of it so it's paintable, matches some of the windshield lines, etc. Install snaps or a track to the channel wherever--you'll not be penetrating the windshield frame, so who cares? The channel will cover the leading edge of the soft top/bikini, so the weather stripping issue will be between the channel and the frame.

Let the bashing begin!

I'm gonna see if I can fab a mold for the leading edge of my existing top and do some glassing to see what I come up with...
BigRed Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #21
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed Beast View Post
I have what may dismissed as a stupid idea, but...

It seems to me one of our members fabricated a rail/channel system by fiberglassing a piece of angle which was cut and curved to match the windshield. I'm not sure how he attached his top--bikini, Besttop or otherwise, but...

How about a U channel, longer flange on the bottom, with holes to match our existing tops? Glass the front of it so it's paintable, matches some of the windshield lines, etc. Install snaps or a track to the channel wherever--you'll not be penetrating the windshield frame, so who cares? The channel will cover the leading edge of the soft top/bikini, so the weather stripping issue will be between the channel and the frame.

Let the bashing begin!

I'm gonna see if I can fab a mold for the leading edge of my existing top and do some glassing to see what I come up with...
There is always more than one way to skin a cat, but I do like the fiberglass idea. As soon as a white top is available Ill begin the work on it.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

2017 Silverado LT
Old 06-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #22
scoyote

I would be VERY interested in seeing what anyone can come up with.

I'm not a fiberglass guy so I can't do that but if someone can...I'd be interested in purchasing one.....hint ...hint

1991 F250 - Hunting truck w/ Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front and rear winches .... and more....
1997 Grand Cherokee - fun jeep - Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front winch, 411 gears, lots of lights ;-)
2004 Hot Rod DuraMax - Dnyo'd at the wheels with 525 HP and 1100 lbs torque.....mustang killer.
scoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #23
glimmertwin01

thats sweet I would prefer a white top too.. I am sure a bar or plate could be fabricated to mount using the existing windshield to top mounting holes... I dont agree with drilling holes in my rot free AZ truck
I d buy one and figure out a way to make it fasten to the top with out drilling..industial velcro ot the new version (used on my EZ Pass) would work. there has to be a solution
74 K/5
74 K20 Custom Deluxe
86 K10 Shorty
92 K2500 Burb
95 K2500 GMC

Life is what you make it Live each day like it was your last
Old GM Trucks never go out of style
glimmertwin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #24
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
It looks real good.... BUT, there is no way I'm going to drill holes to put snaps in my Blazer's body.
same here.

at least the top looks well built.

Last edited by RED72blazer; 06-03-2009 at 12:30 AM.
RED72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #25
BigRed Beast

Similar thread going on the K5 forum with some pretty creative leading edge ideas. There's also a great site www.fiberglassforums.com Most of the site is devoted to audio application in cars, but some of the stuff these guys take on is incredible. The fiberglass lip would be pretty easy to do--just very time consuming for the first one or two, and making a good mold that would hold up for multiple pieces would be a challenge.

Too many creative folks not to have an acceptable solution relatively soon...
BigRed Beast is offline   Reply With Quote