The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
Tomsriv

Cash for clunkers bill!

I didn't know where else to post this, but this is important.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/05/news...kers/index.htm

According to this article the Senate version is not done yet. Please write your senators!

Henry Waxman, if my memory serves me correctly, was the politician who allowed vehicles 73 and earlier to be smog exempt in California back in the 90's. So that gives me a little hope that he won't target our old cars. This is a snippet of what I am writing to my representatives...

I am concerned about the new cash for clunkers program. It will not create jobs, it will take away jobs of auto mechanics and the numerous industries which make accessories for trucks and SUVs.
This program is also certain to be full of fraud as most “clunkers” are not driven and will only be brought back to life long enough to trade them in for a government handout.
As a classic car enthusiast I would like to know if there is an age cut-off for this program? This will have a detrimental impact on a very safe and sane hobby of auto restoration. Countless small business make parts for old cars. In addition, many cities host car shows to bring people and business into town. Without old cars to restore the hobby will die. With this legislation the environment will not win.

We need to find out if their is a year cut-off, among other details.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
hAetWagon
Schlongbed MEMBER (heh)#15

Re: Cash for clunkers bill!

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

"Old truck, all new headaches."
hAetWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Yeah, this comes up from time to time and gets slapped down hard by people that build and people that sell them the parts to build. Money has and will always rule politicians and when manufacturers and distributors (Jeg's, Summit, etc.) speak, especially here in CA, the voice of the people gets heard loud and (re-election) clear.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
bsgmcc20
Im afraid of purple hangers..

Well its passed the house now!

President Barack Obama has urged Congress to approve consumer incentives for new car purchases as part of the government's efforts to reorganize General Motors and Chrysler through the bankruptcy courts.

The vehicle scrappage bill has been under negotiations for months as lawmakers try to find a solution that boosts car sales while providing some environmental benefits. Proponents have pointed to similar programs in Europe that have enhanced auto sales.

The bill would direct dealers to ensure that the older vehicles are crushed or shredded to get the clunkers off the road. It was intended to help replace older vehicles--built in model year 1984 or later--and would not make financial sense for consumers owning an older car with a trade-in value greater than $3,500 or $4,500.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1244...googlenews_wsj

Last edited by bsgmcc20; 06-09-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: forgot Web page link
bsgmcc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
ol Curt

Well, the good part is that it's not really cash. It is a voucher that can be used toward a newer, more fuel efficient car isn't it? Most wont want to buy a new car right now. I think it will be a lot like the bailout money. Folks will be skeptical this time around and will ask what the catches are before using the program.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgmcc20 View Post

...built in model year 1984 or later....
Well - that takes care of that problem. No skin off my nose.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Bugs me a bit how people dismiss anything after a certain year. Won't be long and all those late 80s Grand Nationals and Monte SSs and IROCs will be gone, followed by Impala SSs in the 90s. Don't forget that the GM trucks in the late 80s and 90s touched off this whole sport truck thing, which has more to do with classic truck guys than you think. Those truck were the first ones bagged, first ones for rollpans available to buy, and the first to get drop spindles. Just because there's a bunch of them around now doesn't mean there always will be.

Sorry, MacAttack. I didn't mean that to sound like I was singling you out.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
BobS

"First they came for the Communists . . . "

If they target one group and suceed, they can target any group. Food for thought.

Bob

62 GMC W5000 NAPCO-V6
65 GMC 2500 NAPCO Panel-V6
66 GMC 1000-V6
66 GMC 1500-V6
67 GMC K1500-SBC (originally a KM-V6)
68 GMC C1500-V6
68 GMC C1500-V6
68 GMC Suburban C2500
70 Chevy K20-SBC
71 Chevy C30 Longhorn-SBC
72 GMC Suburban C1500-BBC
72 Chevy C10-SBC
72 GMC C5500-ToroFlow Diesel
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthewabbit View Post
Sorry, MacAttack. I didn't mean that to sound like I was singling you out.
No worries. We know exactly how to deal with this kind of thing out here on the Left Coast. Purchasing power regarding after-market and resto-parts see to that. If you like a certain decade of vehicles and can organize enough people, then folks like Vic Edelbrock, Jr. take notice and when that happens - politicians follow suit.

Mac.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
teamroper!

It's passed the house 298 to 119, call your senator at the capitol switchboard @ 202-224-3121 and they can direct you to your state senator.
teamroper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
bsgmcc20
Im afraid of purple hangers..

Well its official it passed.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

bsgmcc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
scotts62
One day...

Yeah it sucks...

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

well, there is not too much to worry about, unless you like stuff "84 and newer.
I thought about trading in my 88 suburban... for about 2 seconds...I need a new car payment like I need a hole in the head...
If I want to piss money away on a monthly basis, I will just buy a $500 60-66 every other month...
thats about the same as a new car payment ,cheap gas, and full coverage insurance
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #14
scotts62
One day...

thats what im talking about

I have 2 90's model trucks im not going to get rid of, one is a 95 gmc with a 4.3 and that thing has been the best daily driver yet.

93 crew cab build
Project 62
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

They're not getting my '94 regardless of how hard they try this.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #16
joe231

what i see this accomplishing is getting some fields cleared of the already picked clean vehicles....it is gonna be a trade in for which I believe the car companies are going to add to the price of their vehicles......just stand back and look...it is a doomed bill...I believe Chevy and Chrysler are on their last leg, and as long as Obama is running them they will not recover.....who wants to buy a vehicle from a doomed company?
newest vehicle I own is a '95...I don't plan on EVER purchasing a new one

the revolution is coming...

take it for what it is worth....just my $.02

Last edited by joe231; 06-18-2009 at 10:14 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Completely agree!

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 06-18-2009 at 10:41 PM.
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #18
scotts62
One day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
I don't plan on EVER purchasing a new one
the revolution is coming...
i hear ya there budro.

93 crew cab build
Project 62
Old 06-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #19
Corts60
Just here to tinker

This subject gets me all wriled up....

My '76 SS is my daily driver and will remain to be. If times get tight and I just can't have two cars then my '60 will be my daily driver. They can pry my babies from my cold dead hands!

They way I see it, every year I drive my nova that is one less car that has to be made, and also one less car that has to be crushed that year. Right? So I am saving the environment from the pollution of manufacturing and recycling an automobile. And I'll bet money that the CO from my exhaust per year leaves a way smaller carbon footprint (because of meticulous maintenance) than that of the by-products from the manufacturing or recycling of those two cars.

Maybe I'm just biased....
Corts60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #20
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

45oo bucks off a 45,000 dollar vehicle doesnt make it cheap enough for me to buy. Also, in AZ, tags are priced based on the value of the vehicle. That would be 1000+ dollars for the sticker to put on your plate.

I too, will NEVER buy a new vehicle; and as soon as possible will buy yet another old truck to drive.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #21
scotts62
One day...

Yeah makes a whole lot of sense to me... hum.... lets trade something in that is paid for and buy a NEW car and have a $500mo + payment just to get a "discount" yeah i see a big discount and money ahead on our part.....

93 crew cab build
Project 62

Last edited by scotts62; 06-19-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #22
joe231

Cort, that is my thought also...why do they push recycling, then tell you to throw away perfectly good cars to buy a new one that the manufacturing of causes more pollution than driving my old car for 5 years.
it is a crazy agenda that has absolutely nothing to do with the environment...like cap and trade

I believe that most people driving "clunkers" either can't afford to drive a new car or choose to drive an older one....not to mention new car quality has gone down hill big time in the last couple decades....I know many people who have bought new and had un-fixable problems from day one
Old 06-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #23
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
I thought about trading in my 88 suburban... for about 2 seconds...I need a new car payment like I need a hole in the head...
And that's all these well meaning idiot politicians wanted you to do. They're so desparately trying to play both sides of the street (Joe Public on one side and the UAW on the other) they've lost any concept that most - especially with a family - won't give this idea any more time than you did.

Mac.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #24
skidder111

[U
Quote:
]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This subject gets me all wriled up....

My '76 SS is my daily driver and will remain to be. If times get tight and I just can't have two cars then my '60 will be my daily driver. They can pry my babies from my cold dead hands!

They way I see it, every year I drive my nova that is one less car that has to be made, and also one less car that has to be crushed that year. Right? So I am saving the environment from the pollution of manufacturing and recycling an automobile. And I'll bet money that the CO from my exhaust per year leaves a way smaller carbon footprint (because of meticulous maintenance) than that of the by-products from the manufacturing or recycling of those two cars.[/U]
Cort- I agree 110%. We don't have these issues up here (yet), but this is something I have been following for a while. By crushing an old car, you are wasting the energy used to build it originally as well as using more energy to build the replacement. I would like to know just how many tons of CO2 it takes to build a new car, including mining and transportation of the raw materials like steel and copper, processing, production of the plastics, etc. If the math was done and publicized, I think people would be surprised. Just my 0.02 cents CDN.

Last edited by skidder111; 06-19-2009 at 10:12 AM.
skidder111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #25
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

the people they are after are the ones that prepetually have a new car... the ones that lease, or like my grandfather used to do, trade in for a new car every couple years... he always had a new caddy, and he was always paying on it... kind of like renting I guess...
yet again, I don't think we have to worry about our pre '84 stuff.. I think it has to run, and has to be post '84 for the credits
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote