The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2002, 07:14 PM   #1
COBALT

ARG!!! My cab fogs up badly!

I can't get it to clear. It's fogging up like a *****, and of course my heater isn't in good shape.

Anyone have any briliant ideas (non-A/C)?
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 07:18 PM   #2
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.
I agree,heater core has a hole in it and is allowing coolant into the defroster/heater system causeing the windows to fog like crazy.
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 07:31 PM   #3
Capitol68

3 rd it.....heater core
orig. stock TH 400.

Albert Pine
English author d.1851
Capitol68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 07:41 PM   #4
Mudder

heater core! mine used to blow snow out sometimes too. LOL
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 07:47 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

most likely its the heater core but couldnt it also be the door either locked in the closed position ? or not all the way open check that the control for heat/cool air works if it does heater core

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:07 PM   #6
Hooter
My other Love

welcome to the wonderful world of an old pickup
I keep a rag in my truck on cold days
  • 77 fully loaded silverado (back in the backyard for a little while longer)
  • 1980 BMW 320i (back in the garage finally)
  • 1981 f@*d f150 4x4 (Robert red ford) tried to kill me
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike
Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com AC/DC RULES!!!
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:09 PM   #7
Mudder

Whats really bad when ya have to use de-icer on the inside LOL
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:49 PM   #8
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mudder67
Whats really bad when ya have to use de-icer on the inside LOL
lmao.....done that

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:55 PM   #9
Alexis
Member since 2000

ever heard of RAIN-X. well they go a product that kills the window fog. i got to say it worked alright. i didnt apply it very well. it was clear in areas i did apply it right and you know the story about the area that didn't. check it out, it like 6 bucks
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:44 PM   #10
COBALT

Yeah, I thought about the heater core. It seems like too much moisture is condensing on the inside of the windows. There aren't actual droplets, and I don't smell coolant at all. The heater doesn't even have to be on. The only way I can keep it clear is to crack the vent windows, but of course it's cold out, so...one thing is the defrost ports do heat up the windshield enough to get two nice little holes to look through, but it never completely clears it. It seems like the longer I'm driving the foggier it gets.

I also thought about Rain-x, but if there's a problem I don't want to mask it by using something like that.

....to be continued.
Seattle, WA.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:00 PM   #11
jku72

Does not sound like a heater core to me, it sounds like your truck is just normal. My truck does it all the time. My suggestion is to stop breathing when you are driving, and figure out a way to stop the leak in your windshield. I assume this, because every truck I know leaks water in the windshield, leading to high humidity in the cab, and, fog on the windows. What doesnt leak through the windshield leaks down through the cowl.
Or, you could do like me and drive with the window down and your head sticking out the window, but in northern climes be sure to wear chap stick.

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 10:27 PM   #12
mrein3

Check your ducts that lead to your defrosters. I used to have a heck of a time keeping my non-AC truck windows clear. The duct work was all ripped apart. I bought and installed new pieces from one of the usual suspects (GMC Paul, LMC, etc.) and it now works much better.

Of course putting AC in will make it better yet. The AC on through the defrosters works wonders when it is wet out.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 11:23 PM   #13
wcdrake

I have had the exact same thing happen that your describing and it turned out to be the heater core. At first I didn't smell anything either. The leak was just small enough so there was no smell. Fortunately the leak got bigger and it was obvious. Also I had a kick ass fan and all I could defog was two small peep holes as well. Good luck.
wcdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 11:56 PM   #14
Shane
Account Suspended

heater core gets my vote too ....
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 08:24 AM   #15
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I had a heater core let go on a previous car (Think it was one of my Alfasuds) windscreen kept misting up like a b*tch. I ignored it for as long as I could until it finally let go and sprayed boiling hot water out under the dash, fortunately missing anything important on me!

I can't see that it would be the heater core leaking if it is clearing two spots over the vents. more likely just to be old heater syndrome. I would check the heater hoses to the vents, mine were like a lace curtain and replacing them made a huge difference to the performance for a few dollars. Also remove the fan motor and clear out the heater box, it may just be full of crud blocking the airflow, mice may even have eaten the fan itself! Also clear out under the cowl of any old wet leaves etc and clear any drain holes.

My cab is inherently damp, (no garage, English weather, wet feet on the carpet, condensation etc) and my heater clears the screen well, even if it does squeel like a pig! Basically just give the system a thourough check over and clean up first and see if that makes a difference before looking at a new core.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:05 AM   #16
Woody

Heater Core!!
Just did this yesterday. The 68 I got a few months ago wasn't heating good. I hadn't checked the coolant in it yet. Took off to the recycle center on Saturday and fan belt was squeeling and smoking. Turned around, got back to the house and looked under the hood. Damn! Water pump not turning!!! FROZEN! So after it warmed up I drained everything, flushed radiator, and installed new thermostat (didn't have one in it) and good to go. Then yesterday as I go to the recycle center, the windows fog up, It hadn't done that before.......Looked under truck and found heater core leaking, CRAP, Can you say "froze and cracked!!!"
Called Adv. Auto : new heater core $25 and they had it on the shelf. Installed it last night, drove the truck in this morning and the heater will put you out of the cab. NOT A SIGN OF FOGGY WINDOWS!!!!!
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 02:24 PM   #17
oldsub86

Have some advice for you if you do change the heater core. I did mine a few years back and when I took apart the heater core box (for lack of a better description) I found that the factory used a piece of "rubber" to seal the core (or cushion it - who knows ). It was really grungy so I looked for something to replace it. I used a piece of carpet underlay. BAD IDEA. Now everytime it heats up it smells like rubber. I thought it might get better with time but it has not. I will have to take it apart some day and put something else in its place. Don't know if the part is available but it might be worth looking for.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:03 PM   #18
Crank

I know people on here aren't rich and throwing money away is ignorant but maybe it's worth replacing anyway, if anything you'll have a new heater core for another day. I say replace it and clean out the vents, check the lines, and also clean out under the cowl and hopefully the fog will subside. Good luck
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 04:47 PM   #19
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Soggy Bottom

I am fighting the same foggy window problem right now! My new heater core doesn't help, when my new windshield keeps leaking on my new carpet. I had the WS resealed & ran a 110V heater inside for week to dry it...just moved the truck outside to sit in the heavy rain & see what happens. Our WS are terrible leakers, which translates into terrible floor rust if you don't get them sealed...and foggy windows.
1/5/03 Looks OK this time...dry carpet...knock on wood.

Last edited by PICKMUP; 01-05-2003 at 08:27 PM.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:42 PM   #20
COBALT

Thanks for the pointers.

Yesterday I smelled coolant. Since all of the hoses and thermostat are all new and NOT leaking, and my water pump is in good shape I think I know what it is now...

I'll be replacing the heater core this weekend.

Seattle, WA.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:38 PM   #21
COBALT

...put in a new heater core yesterday. The old one had the ever-popular green currosion around the top tube, and it looked like it was bent to fit the holes on the box (???). There were also two spots on the fins where I could see coolant leaking. Guess that must have been the problem.

The box needs some new gaskets badly, and the metal box needed some cleaning, but otherwise it was a piece-o-cake. I had another bee's nest in the box (I had two in each door when I first bought the truck).

LMC sells a gasket kit for $26.

So far ZERO fogging! Thanks guys.
Seattle, WA.