The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Making garage cabinet door question

Im making a wall of garage cabinets. I would like to have one long smooth wall with no gaps between cabinets or doors. Is there special hinge made for this type of thing. Im sure there must be. I tried a google search and got a zillion pages of stuff for sale, but no real good info on putting together a system like this. I made a diagram to show what Im looking to do. I put handles on there so you could see which way the doors would open, but there will be no handles when finished.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
LooseScrews
Transplanted Dixie chick!!

Re: Making garage cabinet door question

European hinges will do the trick. Fully adjustable. Last I saw, you can pick them up at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Hubby uses Blum in his commercial cabinet shop. We have them on our kitchen cabinets. LOVE THEM!!! Are you going to have a finger opening or spring openings? If not, how do you plan on opening the doors? We have small handles on our shop cabinets. If I can remember, I'll take pics tonight and post up tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseScrews View Post
European hinges will do the trick. Fully adjustable. Last I saw, you can pick them up at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Hubby uses Blum in his commercial cabinet shop. We have them on our kitchen cabinets. LOVE THEM!!! Are you going to have a finger opening or spring openings? If not, how do you plan on opening the doors? We have small handles on our shop cabinets. If I can remember, I'll take pics tonight and post up tomorrow.
Yep. Good call.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
rambler
MOVE OVER

got to post some pics when your done!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Piece of Work
Cultural Infidel

Blum is all I have ever used. They will have what you need.

-Mark

-Mark

1972 C-10 Fleetside 350/TH350 PS PB A/C Cab Sadly....Sold
1968 Short Fleet 350/TH400 PS PB Delivered by Fine69 Also sadly Sold!

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
A man is not complete until he is married -- then he is finished.
Piece of Work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

There are several companies that make "concealed" hinges, more commonly known as "European hinges" Here is a good explanation of how they work and how to choose them.
At they shop where I work, we use Salice, Blum, and Grass for the most part. They are easy to use and even easier to adjust for that perfect fit needed when you do a smooth "wall of doors" like you are suggesting. I linked you to a Rockler page because they make it even easier for the "joe home-owner" to install. They offer drilling jigs that make it a snap. They are definately worth the few dollars they cost in frustrations alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
BarryB

Agree with all the above, I've installed many of cabinets with those hinges. Looks good. And adjustable also.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ill give em a shot. I looked at the diagrams, still not positive how the hinged side of the door your opening doesnt hit the hinged side of the door thats staying closed considering they are flush with each other.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

They work like a hood hinge. They swing out and away as they open. Unless your really handy with building cabinets, and have the tools to do it, I suggest you shop pre-fabs.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Ill give em a shot. I looked at the diagrams, still not positive how the hinged side of the door your opening doesnt hit the hinged side of the door thats staying closed considering they are flush with each other.
They open a little different than most. They extend themselves out as they swing.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #11
LooseScrews

CG, If I can put them on, ANYONE can! I've adjusted those in my kitchen and my hubby couldn't belive I did it by myself. There is a very minimal amount of space between the doors...about the thickness of card stock or in our case, the thickness of the saw blade. This is enough to allow the doors to open. If you weren't on the other side of the US, I'd come put them in for you.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
They work like a hood hinge. They swing out and away as they open. Unless your really handy with building cabinets, and have the tools to do it, I suggest you shop pre-fabs.
Soon as you said they open like a hood hinge I got it...LOL.

If these were in the house cabinets I would have them done. But since they are garage/shop cabinets Im going to make em myself. I have a boat load of wood working tools...table saw, dual bevel sliding miter saw, routers blah blah blah but my most favorite...the super sawzall, for taking it all out when I screw it up =)
Old 05-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
BarryB

I do believe you'll need a forstners(spelling?) bit. because the ones I've installed the hinges are recessed into the door panel itself.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!

Last edited by BarryB; 05-25-2009 at 09:04 PM.
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseScrews View Post
CG, If I can put them on, ANYONE can! I've adjusted those in my kitchen and my hubby couldn't belive I did it by myself. There is a very minimal amount of space between the doors...about the thickness of card stock or in our case, the thickness of the saw blade. This is enough to allow the doors to open. If you weren't on the other side of the US, I'd come put them in for you.
CG airline ticket are very reasonable now. If I was you I would take her up on her offer.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #15
cdowns

i found the guys at lowes very helpfull with explaining and setting me up with the proper hardware i've needed in some of my home projects
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #16
LooseScrews

CG, Hubby and kid are at the Gulf fishing, so I didn't make it out to the shop. Here's pics of my kitchen cabinets and our entertainment center. Kitchen cabs are like the ones you are doing for your shop. I shot the entertainment center doors because they are inset. Both use the same type hinge, just to show how workable they are. Sorry for some of the pics being orangy....I finally figured out how to turn off the flash. The cabinets/entertainment center are unstained mahogany.

Entertainment Center doors (inset):

Kitchen Gap:

Flush wall:

By the looks of this pic, I need to adjust the doors again...it's been awhile.

And, yes, those are boat cleats used as door pulls.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
... I linked you to a Rockler page because they make it even easier for the "joe home-owner" to install. They offer drilling jigs that make it a snap. They are definately worth the few dollars they cost in frustrations alone.
Great resource Longhair!

Mark, there's at least two Rocklers in the area..a woodworker's candy store!
Be aware that there are cheaper knockoffs of these hinges and most are just that...cheap and flimsy.

IMHO-touch latches are a nice choice.
You can open the doors with both hands full plus not have cleaning problems around pulls to deal with.

LooseScrews...STUNNING KITCHEN!
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
beautimus

when you go shopping for your hinges and stuff, tell them you are making frameless cabinets. if you look at a conventional cabinet you will see a face frame made of 1x2's that the hinges fasten to. on cabinets that have no face frame and all you see is cabinet door, its a frameless cabinet. that way you and the hardware guy are on the same page. oh we want pics when your done. !!!! we love pics !!!.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #19
LooseScrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETsC10 View Post
LooseScrews...STUNNING KITCHEN!
THANKS!! I like it except for that #%@^!& popcorn ceiling. My husband designed and built the kitchen, other than me arguing with him I didn't want stained mahogany cabinets...wanted them to darken naturally. If you want, you can come live with him as he's threatening to gut the kitchen again. I don't see how people live with their kitchens tore out for a month. When he decided to redo the kitchen the first time, he drew it all up, told me on Thursday that he's gutting it and the guys are coming on Saturday AM to start. Demo and new flooring on Saturday. Sunday installed cabinets and appliances were delivered and installed Monday. Just that weekend and I thought I'd go crazy.

And I agree w/ the touch latches....arms full, use your butt to open 'em up.

Last edited by LooseScrews; 05-26-2009 at 02:55 PM.
LooseScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Here is an entertainment center that I built last fall. The doors on the inner section are "pocket doors" that slide back into the cabinet after opening. The outer sections are just standard swinging doors. All are "touch latched" there are no pulls on this unit at all. It was completely designed by the customer. Since it sits in a great-room and you can see it from above, the top is filled in up to the top of the crown moulding. It is completely flat and fininsh painted just like the front. The doors are an odd combination of overlay and inset. They are inset top and bottom and overlay on the sides.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #21
LooseScrews

Beautimous work Longhair!! We have the touch latches on the top windows of our entertainment center (that hides the electronics). Highly recommend them, CG.