The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Huck

cockeyed truck?

Why is it that just about every 99-2009 full size truck seems to be cockeyed in that the left rear is lower to the ground then the right side by about an inch?? The local Chevy dealer said "it was so the truck would sit straight when the gas tank was empty"---Hello??? I've measured my on several different surfaces and it is definitely lower on the drivers side ---empty!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Re: cockeyed truck?

maybe your dealer can explain the HORRIBLE fitment where the hood, fender and "A" pillar come together on the '99-'02...OMG
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
truckpoorpackrat

You all make me laugh. Here are a few reasons, 88-07 4X4 torsion bar adj., bent frame, tire pressure. The 99-07 chevy- gmc hood-fender-door. vender variables, aftermarket vs. oem, Mexican built vs Canadian built, Usually it is because of the hood hinge pivot location. Have you noticed how easy it is to move (bend, adjust) the top rear corner of the 99-07 fenders.
I work on a lot of these trucks & I hear a lot of these same comments. Thing is I have to FIX them.
James.
truckpoorpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckpoorpackrat View Post
You all make me laugh. Here are a few reasons, 88-07 4X4 torsion bar adj., bent frame, tire pressure. The 99-07 chevy- gmc hood-fender-door. vender variables, aftermarket vs. oem, Mexican built vs Canadian built, Usually it is because of the hood hinge pivot location. Have you noticed how easy it is to move (bend, adjust) the top rear corner of the 99-07 fenders.
I work on a lot of these trucks & I hear a lot of these same comments. Thing is I have to FIX them.
James.
I was talking about ones new on the lot where you could stick your fingers into gaps...OMG it was making it tough to sell replacement parts because you could never tell if there was a part issue or if it never went together correctly
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
truckpoorpackrat

I know what you are saying. The fact that they all had large gaps makes it easier to justify. When you have 30+ trucks on the lot & no 2 are exactly identical (gaps) it is easier to explain, still doesn't make people happy. The part that always frustrated me (still does) is the aftermarket fenders either are to short compared to the hood, or the hood sets up to high towards the back of the fender, or the back of the fender wont match the contour & body lines of the door (you get one or the other but not both). SORRY I COULD TALK ABOUT THIS ALL DAY. I appreciate that you spend the time to try and correct fit problems with your parts. FYI for a short time GM quit putting the bolt holes in some locations on the avalanche fenders (i still have one) guess they didn't know where the bolts or locating holes were suppose to be LOL. (no it wasn't a part defect we checked). Sorry that this thread has been hijacked. Has anyone else noticed it is in the wrong forum. James.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yep, common as dirt. On my 06 SWB CC, I took it to have a bed cover and lowering shackles installed. The installers immediately got out there tape measure and checked the height, bring it to my attention.

It seems that they had so many people complain that the shackle was causing the problem, they started bringing it to the owners attention "before" they installed the shackles.

Mine was so bad that I have one shackle set on 1" and the other on 2" just to level it out.

James- Thanks for pointing it out that this was in the wrong forum. I didn't catch it either until you said something....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 07-12-2009 at 01:17 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
truckpoorpackrat

A few suggestion about the height on your trucks, if you measure from the rear axle up to the frame on both sides (when it is setting on even ground), it will help identify if the problem is because of the springs OR spring being wore . I replaced a few 6 or 7 years ago to help troubleshoot this complaint(notice i didn't say it fixed the problem). On some 4x4 trucks just adjusting the front torsion bars help to correct the problem, just remember to check the front end alignment if you do adjust the torsion bars. Hope this makes sense. James
Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
Mykk

It's called the Chevy lean. They all do it, my '04 does it, I removed the overload spring to help with the issue. I don't haul/tow heavy enough loads for the overload to ever make contact. But, if you do tow/haul leave the springs alone
Mykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #9
dammitmitchell
the pollock

gentlemen...
back in the day when i was at the good old furd dealer****.....
we used to have NEW OFF THE TRUCK cars come in with 11-14 miles on the odo...
and incorrectly painted body panels..... seriously.. multiple colors of blue on one furd... hahahah WOW

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote