The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
71jimmy

Got my first Hickey

Bought a Hickey Sidewinder Winch this weekend. It works and has all the parts except the plastic cover for the solenoids. Did some research on the www and found some interesting stuff. The original patent to Vic Hickey and his partner, User Manual and a cool ad for the winch. I'll be refurbishing the winch and mounting it on my Jimmy. It came of a '72 Blazer so mounting should be easy. In the day, they were thought of as quite good winches. I know the new winches of today are much better, but I don't see myself wiching out of the Rubicon, just a cool piece of nostalgia. I like the fact they are hidden behind the front bumper.

Here are some pics.
Attached Images

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:39 AM   #2
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

Re: Got my first Hickey

Neat; can't wait to see it installed!
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
sleepertruck72

Cool advertisement there !
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
lks dcvn

got a better picture of that ad - looks like it is winching a truck up a tree and hanging there -
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
71jimmy

yes I do have a better pic of the ad. It's just when I shrink it down to fit this forum it came out like that. Let me try again hopefully it will be better.

Well, ain't getting any better. Send me your email, I'll send you the full size ad.
Attached Images

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
Old 08-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Congrats on the purchase.

There is a board member, baja1000, in Tacoma WA area that knows more about Hickey stuff than just about anyone. He has an original Hickey race truck, two Blazers and various other stuff.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

That`s a great find.I love era 4wd accessories.I remember that add.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
cleszkie

71jimmy -

Can you e-mail me those pictures of the winch so I can enlarge them? I have a Sidewinder and have been trying to figure out how to fab up the mounting plates for my Blazer. I want the plates as close to original looking as possible. I could probably figure it out by looking at yours. Also, If you need any spare parts, let me know. I have a box of leftovers (practically another complete winch) from mine. My solinoid cover is metal and stamped with the "Sidewinder" and "Sperry". Unfortunately, I don't have a spare one of those for you. Thanks.

Craig
cleszkie@ch2m.com
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
71jimmy

just emailed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
71jimmy -

Can you e-mail me those pictures of the winch so I can enlarge them? I have a Sidewinder and have been trying to figure out how to fab up the mounting plates for my Blazer. I want the plates as close to original looking as possible. I could probably figure it out by looking at yours. Also, If you need any spare parts, let me know. I have a box of leftovers (practically another complete winch) from mine. My solinoid cover is metal and stamped with the "Sidewinder" and "Sperry". Unfortunately, I don't have a spare one of those for you. Thanks.

Craig
cleszkie@ch2m.com

Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
swyfor5

Awesome find dude! More pic's please!
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
swyfor5

Oh, wait a minute, I think I have an old Hickey brochure with that k5 up a tree! It is a full page pic if I remember right. I'll try and dig it out and scan it to post up!
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
71jimmy

[QUOTE=cleszkie;3481810]71jimmy -

Craig, did you refurb/rebuild your sidewinder before mounting it? I've finally taken mine apart and am wondering if any of the seals and bearings are available somewhere. My insides actually look pretty good considering the age of this thing but if these parts are somehow available it wouldn't hurt to replace them. The bearing on the worm gear is the worst. The oil inside the winch was all dried up and quite a bit of dirt had found its way inside along with water at some time, but really not too bad for 35 plus years. I would guess it had never been taken apart before.

I really like the way you've mounted yours, I think it looks better than they were originally intended to be mounted. I may ask you for some detailed info when I get mine together again.

thanks