The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Roadhammer

What i thought was the start of my 63 lwb build

Never done picture before hope this works...

Last edited by Roadhammer; 08-25-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: im an idiot
Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Re: What i thought was the start of my 63 lwb build

Outstanding!!! Welcome to the board!

Mac.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Roadhammer

HAHA i did it! OK so heres my truck. I live these trucks pretty much anything 87 and older is awesome but i like this specific truck. I bought it on my 16th birthday and parked it behind my parents house hoping to get to it someday.

4 years later I decide to buy 1979 Scottsdale thats been in my family since it was new. Get ride 12 hours out to BC to get it and drive straight back 12 hrs and 15 minutes away from home i get hit my a drunk drive and now its all smashed up

So the ajuster comes and says thats its basically an old piece of junk and their going to write it off and i'd be lucky to get 2500bucks for it. So whilst i waited for the insurance company to finish the claim and report i decide to drag my old 63 over to our shop and tear it down and start a quick resto job and put the drive/power train underneath the old 63 and be on my way. Take note that im intending on using this truck for a daily driver.

So i take a week everyday after work im workin til midnite trying to get it ready to changeover.

I pull the whole front end and box off wirewheel/sandblash the frame/firewall/and front end and prep for a coat of black rust inhibitor. (which is done now no pics sorry)

Yesterday i get a call from the insurance company and the rep that took over my file looked at the picture and liked the truck so much he dicede that they would fix it.

OI!
SO no i guess i just finish up and put it back together and park it out back...Good greif
Old 08-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

That's funny!

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Hmmmm......Flow-Thru Ventilation. I think this guy will fit right in.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

or since now your DD is going to get fixed. You can slowly work on the 63 till you get it where you want it!

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Well now that you've got started on the '63 just keep going. Except now you don't have to hurry.

BTW welcome to the forum
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Roadhammer

Their going to fix it, then their not, then they are....Finally its done they ARE NOT going to fix the 79. 63 Build is back on the rollers.

Im looking at ordering a ton of parts from LMC ie. Floor pan/fenders/fender wells/ lights and a whole bunch of small detail things. brake lines Tank kit roll ban carpet floor armrests mirror ext ext big long list about 2500 bucks in parts.

Anyone have issues with LMC? Are there better options? Opinions welcome here. It will be my first time ordering parts from somewhere so i lack expirience here.

Tried my hand at patching the corner of the door last night heres how it came out...

Hows it look to you guys. Newbie here i think it turned out of for my first time.

Roadhammer
Old 09-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Vernski

Thumbs up Re: What i thought was the start of my 63 lwb build

Hi Roadhammer welcome to you in the great white north!

Roadhammer Quote:
Anyone have issues with LMC? Are there better options? Opinions welcome here. It will be my first time ordering parts from somewhere so i lack expirience here.

There are lots of vendors out there just depends what you are looking for, you can google for what ever you are looking for. I like www.classicparts.com as LMC tends to be a little spendy on some items, but there are lots of others out there.

Roadhammer Quote:
Tried my hand at patching the corner of the door last night heres how it came out...
Hows it look to you guys. Newbie here i think it turned out of for my first time.

Looks better than some of my early stuff with an arc, but after I got a wire feed it it improved a little lol. Happy Resto!
Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
ruffrida2005

I've heard a lot of people have had problems with them not fitting right and they cost a bunch. Classic parts is good, Brothers trucks, theres a bunch just check them out!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
Old 09-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #11
63sbssbbw
UCA63

Nice start RH
Sweet truck
LL your starting out with more than most of us(exc those ca and az guysLOL)
For panels,I'd call Scotts supertrucks in Penhold AB,between ups, duty and shipping it'll be cheaper and faster
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
Roadhammer

OK looked at a few other places for parts and it seems that LMC will be ther cheapest because they offer free shipping over $1000 no one else seems to do that and im order a lot of large parts. In comparision to other places i find it much easier and have piece of mind thta im in fact getting the correct parts because they have good descriptions and pictures.

63SB i looked at Scottssupertrucks parts list and it didnt instill confidence in what i was ordering. Ive got a real specific list of 40-50 parts so i wanna know im getting what i want. Also they were way more expensive. I have my stuff shipped to sweetgrass and i go pick it up free shipping there and i pay 5% tax at the border. It does hel othat exchange is good right now too.

Here are some more progress pics.

Cut out the patch for the gas tank hole

Allso drilled the welds and pulled off the rocker panels

Passenger side

Driver Side

Weldingthe driverside floor support

Door bottom looks like someone left tools in the door and slammed it a thousand times

PAINTED FIREWALL NO WINSHEILD

RUSR RUST RUST

ok thats what ive done so far Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
Chevy Fleetside

Check out www.truckandcarshop.com . I bet if you metion about the free shipping LMC has they might match that. Good luck in your build.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
Roadhammer

UPDATE

Pulled the 350 out of the 79

Pulled the Crossmembers off both trucks

Got an eye full for this from my wife LOL

RALLYS

Then Welded the fuel filler hole i really need to get better at welding (oi)

BEFORE

AFTER

Suggestions/input/ thoughts/ snide remards welcome...

Roadhammer
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
ruffrida2005

looking good, I would say you need to get that welding a little better on the thin metal.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You have way too much weld on there. You want to do just a series of tacks, being careful not to get the area too hot. Too much weld = too much heat= warpage.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #17
Roadhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
You have way too much weld on there. You want to do just a series of tacks, being careful not to get the area too hot. Too much weld = too much heat= warpage.
Thanks for the comments guys. I figured there was something amuck with my welding so my dad came over and gave me a crash course in welding(you can only learn so much over the phone) so things should look a little better now.

Floorpans are coming in the mail so ill have a chance to get a little practice doing those.

Also Captainfab or anyone else who would know. When attaching the 79 front crossmember to the 63. It all went pretty well...little drill here little grind there. But Im not sure about the right way of attaching the steering component "bar thingy" (opposite attachment as the power steering box) to the frame.

Anyone have measurements or pictures showing where it needs to be because it obviously doesnt line up with the old one and i imagine its fairly important for steering.

Roadhammer

Last edited by Roadhammer; 09-15-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #18
skidder111

Roadhammer - Hello from just west of you. If you can afford it, look for a 110 volt mig with a gas kit (Princess Auto?). It will save you money and frustration in the long run. You'll be much happier with the results. Good luck!

Last edited by skidder111; 09-15-2009 at 10:42 AM.
skidder111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
ruffrida2005

You must be talking about the Idler arm. Sorry man I cant help you. I put rack and pinon on my truck, But Capt Fab would be the man. Also if you haven't you will need to get his adapter bracket for the gear box

Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #20
Roadhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
You must be talking about the Idler arm. Sorry man I cant help you. I put rack and pinon on my truck, But Capt Fab would be the man. Also if you haven't you will need to get his adapter bracket for the gear box
Already paid for and waiting on the power steering bracket and the brake booster bracket.

Currently surfing the web looking at engine chrome (drool)

Last edited by Roadhammer; 09-15-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #21
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. I figured there was something amuck with my welding so my dad came over and gave me a crash course in welding(you can only learn so much over the phone) so things should look a little better now.

Floorpans are coming in the mail so ill have a chance to get a little practice doing those.

Also Captainfab or anyone else who would know. When attaching the 79 front crossmember to the 63. It all went pretty well...little drill here little grind there. But Im not sure about the right way of attaching the steering component "bar thingy" (opposite attachment as the power steering box) to the frame.

Anyone have measurements or pictures showing where it needs to be because it obviously doesnt line up with the old one and i imagine its fairly important for steering.

Roadhammer
coming along nicely!!!

the "bar thingy" you are referring to is your idler arm...after you get the gear box mounted, you will want to line up your center link (the long bar in the middle that the tie rods hook to). It will need to be parallel to the ground (level if your truck is level, it needs to be the same distance below each of the frame legs) and the same distance from the front of each legs of the frame (or find something that is in the same location on both sides of the frame to measure from) so it is perfectly perpendicular to the frame. clamp the idler shaft to the frame, mark the holes to drill it after you verify (at least a couple times) all the measurements are correct....make sense?

Last edited by joe231; 09-15-2009 at 10:43 AM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #22
Roadhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
coming along nicely!!!

the "bar thingy" you are referring to is your idler arm...after you get the gear box mounted, you will want to line up your center link (the long bar in the middle that the tie rods hook to). It will need to be parallel to the ground (level if your truck is level, it needs to be the same distance below each of the frame legs) and the same distance from the front of each legs of the frame (or find something that is in the same location on both sides of the frame to measure from) so it is perfectly perpendicular to the frame. clamp the idler shaft to the frame, mark the holes to drill it after you verify (at least a couple times) all the measurements are correct....make sense?
Just the answer i was looking for...that makes sense i just really had no idea how it works. Easy....i can figure that out.

THANKS JOE!

Jory
Old 09-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #23
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
coming along nicely!!!

Here is a pic. It's not much help, but gives a little visual. Measure twice and drill once. The level is on the center link. The frame is level as well.

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
joe231

No problem Jory,

glad it made sense, kinda sounded like rambling to me
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #25
Eagar1

Yep I just did that here is a link to the thread, its the very last set of pics.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=357183
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote