The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Thealien

My attempt at restoring/cleaning a set of seat belts

My Jimmy originally had a parchment interior. I would ruin a parchment interior so I am slowly changing everything over to black. I had been looking for a set of black seat belts for over a year and am still looking for some pieces/parts (plastic bolt covers for the rear seat seatbelts, Drivers side retractable seat belt, plastic seat belt hangers for console delete trucks. With all that out of the way I was offered these belts by NTR72GMC and I agreed

I recieved them and proceeded to take them apart. I still need a couple of the GM stickers for the pushbutton or the whole pushbutton with sticker attached (anybody have a couple?).

Here is where I started this morning

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here I am cleaning them with simple green and a scrub brush

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pretty dirty huh?

[IMG][/IMG]

I removed the tags from all but 2 of the belts. I left those two alone to compare and they were in pretty good shape after cleaning

[IMG][/IMG]

After cleaning I layed the cleanest belt over the faded belts

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the rit dye and the tub I dyed them in

[IMG][/IMG]
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: My attempt at restoring/cleaning a set of seat belts

You have done exactly what I did. Looks great! You are going to hear from a lot of nay-sayers about ruining the integrity of the belts...ignore it. Simple Green and Rit dye do no damage to the webbing whatsoever.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Thealien

Here is the buckles and plastic pieces cleaned and ready for paint/dye

A before and after picture and the SEM product used

Here is everything dyed, dried, and painted

Just the plastic parts

The rusty brackets

And those same brackets after sandblasting

I don't have the cadium paint kit and you really cant see them so I am just painting the brackets chasis black. I forgot to take a picture as they are still hanging from a tree.

I will add to this thread when I reassemble everything (and hoping somone offers up the couple of parts I need. They didn't come out perfect but are a huge improvement over what I started with. I still have to get 2 of the ends sewn and I am debating sewing the tags back on (2 of them disintegrated?)

I hope I helped some of you out that might be considering doing this. If I was really trying to restore I would probably do a second rit dye job!

Mark
Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
67ss&99ss
Andy

I cleaned my nova's black belts in a tub of warm water with woolite cleaner. They were really dirty like yours were, but afterwards, I did not have to dye them because they came out lookin new. The woolite helps preserve/restore the color in the belts.
2005 Duramax 2500HD 4x4

Last edited by 67ss&99ss; 09-14-2009 at 02:22 PM.
67ss&99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

That looks fantastic, but I'm a naysayer because of the articles I've read and the type of material used back then as opposed to today's materials. I have put belts through a dishwasher and that works alot easier and better (no soap works just as well as detergent), but after reading some articles, I just won't be putting myself or my loved ones at risk. I'll see if I can find that post I wrote last year...
Here it is: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=326621

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 09-14-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
You have done exactly what I did. Looks great! You are going to hear from a lot of nay-sayers about ruining the integrity of the belts...ignore it. Simple Green and Rit dye do no damage to the webbing whatsoever.
I don't wear them anyway! No worse than the sun dammage? I can't afford the $350 they want for the restored ones. I am into this for $20 for the belts, $5 for the dye, and probaly about $20 for the adhesion promoter and SEM paint/dye with shipping. When I am done I bet I could get a lot more than the $45 I'll have in them!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss&99ss View Post
I cleaned my nova's black belts in a tub of warm water with woolite cleaner. They were really dirty like yours were, but afterwards, I did not have to dye them because they came out lookin new. The woolite helps preserve/restore the color in the belts.
Did you see what these looked like originally? I don't think "woolite" would have restored the sun faded color? Glad yours came out good.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
nicolas72gmc

I was wondering if the same thing could be done with blue ones? I know they could be dyed but I wonder how the well the dye would work on already blue belts. I need some new plastic covers also.

"Everyone has a plan, 'till they get punched in the mouth".........Mike Tyson

1968, GMC, SWB, Project
1972, GMC, LWB, Daily Driver, 383, headers, 2.5"/3" exhaust, 200r4, 3.5/5 ECE components.
1972, C/10, LWB, 350 vortec, th350
nicolas72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
I don't wear them anyway! No worse than the sun dammage? I can't afford the $350 they want for the restored ones. I am into this for $20 for the belts, $5 for the dye, and probaly about $20 for the adhesion promoter and SEM paint/dye with shipping. When I am done I bet I could get a lot more than the $45 I'll have in them!
Exactly. You aren't going to cause any more damage to them that 40 yrs. of UV exposure hasn't done already.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas72gmc View Post
I was wondering if the same thing could be done with blue ones? I know they could be dyed but I wonder how the well the dye would work on already blue belts. I need some new plastic covers also.
I did this awhile back with my blue belts. They came out great, but the color was not the original GM medium blue. It would be hard to match it in the original color.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas72gmc View Post
I think going from blue to blue or blue to black would work OK. Rit says to use a color remover (a RIT product) when going to a lighter color?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
mclairmo

Looks awesome but I would not trust them to hold you in an accident. I bought all new 3 point belts for my Camaro and Truck. A lot of guys are doing this if they actually drive their vehicles and want to survive an accident. Old belt webbing could fail in an accident.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
That looks fantastic, but I'm a naysayer because of the articles I've read and the type of material used back then as opposed to today's materials. I have put belts through a dishwasher and that works alot easier and better (no soap works just as well as detergent), but after reading some articles, I just won't be putting myself or my loved ones at risk. I'll see if I can find that post I wrote last year...
Here it is: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=326621
Thanks for that link I would want everyone to get all the information and make their own educted decisions. This is what I did! I read that link and it seems that UV is just as bad and I don't see many people running out and changing their webbing either?

If I had the extra money (I don't and believe many are in the same boat as me) I would spend the $350 on a restored set but until then this looks pretty good.

Mark
Old 09-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #14
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
Looks awesome but I would not trust them to hold you in an accident. I bought all new 3 point belts for my Camaro and Truck. A lot of guys are doing this if they actually drive their vehicles and want to survive an accident. Old belt webbing could fail in an accident.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
Thealien

I also ride a motorcycle for 30+ years now. I've gotten pretty good at being observant and avoiding accidents. Again I want everyone to get all the info and make their own choices. When I looked for this info there wasn't much out there so I thought I would share. What YOU decide to do is YOUR decision, make that choice wisely!!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #16
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

WOW!!! Those look way better then they did when I shipped them out. And I almost threw them in the garbage a few years back. (I thought I did) I'm realy glad that you can put them to some use.
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
Thealien

Here are some pics of the finished belts, I think they came out pretty good. I installed the front ones. Still looking for some parts for the rear ones. I am looking for these plastic bolt covers here in black or? I'll dye them. I don't want to ruin a decent parchment set

Comparison of what they started as...........

Last edited by Thealien; 09-15-2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

WOW they look really good its hard to believe that they are the same belts!!
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #19
Thealien

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't done it myself. Compare those pics to the first pics and it is a big difference!!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #20
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Hey Alien, those belts came out great! I really do not believe that some Simple Green and Rit dye would have any weakening effect on your belts either, but I wonder if nearly forty years of hot sun would.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 AM   #21
Elephanthead

If you are concerned with the best possible safety, you should not drive one of these trucks. The belts look great.
Elephanthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #22
TonyJohnson

Great job! This should be in the FAQ.

Tony J.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #23
bigdon-70blazer

Beautiful, simply beautiful! I have my set of tan colored ones to do soon and this thread is helpful to me !
bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
ELToro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephanthead View Post
If you are concerned with the best possible safety, you should not drive one of these trucks. The belts look great.
So very true!!

I have alot of experience dyeing lots of materials and can tell you that RIT dye will NOT weaken any natural or synthetic fibers. The instructions call for very hot water but not boiling which definately can hurt both types of fibers. You can also safely use 10%-20% warm vinegar when dyeing to enhance the permeation of the dye. Vinegar is a mild acid that does a small amount of breaking down of natural fibers but has no affect on synthetics. Vinegar will also create a shade or two brighter color when you add it to your dye so be sure to test before using. The RIT Color remover is possibly bad for the fibers since it contains 'chelation' chemicals that actually can break apart molecules. I wouldnt use it myself.

Your main concern would be that not all the dye actually permeates the fibers and can rub off on your clean white wife-beater so be sure to wipe them down with a soft cotton shop cloth to pick up that residue.
ELToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #25
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Great write up on restoring these old belts.

I have a question, when you scrubed the belt itself, did you notice the fabric losing its factory appearance? (It's tough to explain, but did you notice the belts became a little more "fuzzy" after scrubbing?)

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote