The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Previous Owner Stupidity

Ok y'all.
What all have you found on your 67-72 trucks that the previous owners did that makes you want to track them down and slap them so hard it makes their underwear twist around backwards on them.

For me:

1) Soda can tabs and pennies in the fuse box. I still don't know why they used them, because when I replaced them with actual fuses, none blew...

2) PO had put a CB radio in where the radio was supposed to go. Dash is now cut to accept radio. Not too big a deal, BUT! There is now a hole in the top of my cab towards the back in the middle where the antenna used to be. If I knew how to weld, I would plug it. BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE! Instead of running fresh wire up to the antenna, he cut the dome light wire, and used it. After I reconnected the wire both under the door trim, and behind the dome light, it started to work.

3) Letting an idiot at Pep-boys (or wherever) tell him what temp sending unit he was supposed to have. I bet he thought the gauge was broken. After arguing with a guy at an O'Reillys , I went through about 15 different ones at that O'Reillys, with an LMC catalog laying next to me, until I found one that "looked" right. After putting it in BOOM... gauge worked just fine. (On a side note, Autozone now lists 2 different ones. One for the idiot light, and one for the gauge)

4) I kept getting pulled over for License Plate lights not being on. When I finally lay down underneath the truck to figure it out, the PO had cut the wires up to use them for a trailer light harness...

And that's just SO FAR on my 72 c-10. You don't even WANT to hear about the crazy stuff I found on my 70 Chevelle that caused me to blow the motor.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Previous Owner Stupidity

Yet more horror stories of things we have found. It is amazing how many people will do things to em not knowing just how dangerous they can be. Up in smoke for shotty electrical work. Maybe while the owner sleeps. Brake and suspension failures due to makeshift or questionable work too.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
cdowns

complain all you want about the previous owner BUT if he wasn't a previous owner you wouldn't have a truck
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Shyguy

The '71 C-10 wasn't too bad, a bunch of live wires underneath the dash that were at one time maybe hooked up to a radio and CB radio. The rear lighting harness had been cut so trailer wires could be tapped in using wire nuts.

The '67 was a little worse, well it might have been worse than I realized because mostly all that we used from the '67 was the cab, front clip, bed and 4 speed compound transmission. When I got the truck the PO said he could never get the l6 250 to stay running so it is being stored for now. We used a running one we had from another truck.

The PO tried to hook up the carb linkage using wire from inside the cab hooked to a little pulley deal at the carb. There were two carbs laying in the seat, one from a F*rd. The cab on the engine is not original, still don't know what it was supposed to be on before the PO tried to use it on the engine. The dash had been cut for some kind of radio, maybe a CB. At one time it must have had a CB with the mike mount to the roof because there were holes in the inner cab roof and one of the holes went all the way thru to the outside. The key was missing and still is.

The running boards had holes cut in the same place on both which looked like at one time it had stacks for exhausts.

What makes these old trucks interesting to me is the stuff that was done to them by the previous owners and trying to figure out what the heck they were thinking, what was found in them and the history of the trucks.

I am sure there might have been other problems with the '67 if we had not just used part of the truck.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.

Last edited by Shyguy; 09-27-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Adding information
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
brad_man_72
the boat guy

lets just say my ls swap has less wiring than when it was runnin a smallblock.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Old license plate glued over rust hole in floor.
Edges were bondoed and sanded flush to the floor.
Seat welded to floor.
Vice grips for battery terminals.
Soup can and hose clamps for exhaust repairs.
Here in hillbilly heaven we see it all!
Attached Images

and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

My blazer had fiberglass covering the holes in the floor..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Ben IV

My panel truck was previously owned by tulsa public schools here in oklahoma. it spent its whole life on the buss lot with a generator and a compressor in the back. It had a big vent in the roof and a hole in the side where the exaust exited. Never had a radio but holes for switches and stuff in the dash. Apparently at some point the pass side window crank broke so they made one of steel and welded it onto the regulator. it had a 69-70 chevy hood on it and a huge battery box for a semi battery or sompthin. But only 9888 original miles when i got it but they were hard miles.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Stew215

my 72 was a wreck !

first the interior was painted with a hand brush and had stroke marks and didnt even paint the whole thing.. with a little bit of acetone it came right off ... and the original paint was spotless!

next there are random wires straight off the battery just hanging there.

thermostat wires are all cut and hanging around

tailgate was welded shut for no reason ... when i cut it free it works fine.

used masking tape and left it on some moldings so now its dried on there

guessing all the PO did was burnouts ... there is like 2 inches of rubber under the wheel wells

PO ripped out all the accessories in the engine bay like washer fluid tank and stuff like that

he also got the car painted for like 200 bucks so now i gotta dig into the paint to find all the rust he covered .... and there are runs and cracks all over the truck

he tried to tow the truck by sticking a hook under the front bumper... so now the bumper is all bent out of shape and has little dings from the hook

And the one that really got me was he took off the bowtie on the grill !!!

Last edited by Stew215; 09-27-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Stew215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
mbgmike

Remember back then trucks were used as trucks and most did not get a lot of respect Heck we used to use them to herd cows, bend rebar using the bumpers. Screw all kinds of brackets,radios,ac convertors,open beer bottles,
Haul way more than it could carry.pull down walls, etc and yes some got rigged when they needed to be fixed. Trucks were for working. If you wanted something nice you had a car back then.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I don`t complain about 40 years of comprimises in upkeep.Anything seriously wrong just prevents me from buying the thing.We hear members now say,"These aren`t muscle cars,who cares about originality?" I do,at least I look for as unmolested as I can find or well done work.When I`ve found something that got by me I give myself a kick in the but.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-27-2009 at 12:29 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
R.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
Remember back then trucks were used as trucks and most did not get a lot of respect Heck we used to use them to herd cows, bend rebar using the bumpers. Screw all kinds of brackets,radios,ac convertors,open beer bottles,
Haul way more than it could carry.pull down walls, etc and yes some got rigged when they needed to be fixed. Trucks were for working. If you wanted something nice you had a car back then.
Amen to that brother, I grew up on a farm and my dad's old 67 was used for everything and I've seen the bumper dragging the pavement more times than I can remember he even disked a 10 acre patch one time when the tractor laid down on him.
He sold that truck in 94, I wasn't home to save it or I'd still have it. It wasn't rusty but boy it was beat up and wore out.
The old truck I have now wasn't cobbled up too bad just used and let things run down, guy didn't do too many repairs he just drove it let things go.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Sinister
Between Trucks...

My '69 wasn't too bad, though the PO had drilled about 30 holes in the bed and bed rails. Holes ranged from 3/8" to 3/4" and served no purpose that I could see.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
Legolas894
Chemist under the hood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retodd7711 View Post
Old license plate glued over rust hole in floor.
Edges were bondoed and sanded flush to the floor.
Seat welded to floor.
Vice grips for battery terminals.
Soup can and hose clamps for exhaust repairs.
Here in hillbilly heaven we see it all!
Vice grip battery terminal clamps!!

I feel your pain. I still can't get the PO smell out of my '67 truck. I think he must have had a chinese food delivery service and set the boxes on the middle bench. The middle of the bench seat oozes some sort of wild funk each time I shampoo it. I've shampooed the seats three times and still more brown gold comes out of the middle!!

Then the owner was "selling" it, he had the bed full of old carpet and tack strips and the cab was full of coffe cups. Maybe only one working dash light, no speedometer, two wheel cylinders working (one of front and one on back), no turn signals, trailer harness nightmares etc.

It's mine now and that's all that counts.

Current fleet:
2013 GMC Sierra, 5.3L, 4x4
1988 GMC Sierra, 305, Auto
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8
1997 VW Cabrio, 2.0L
2017 Toyota Rav4, 2.5L

Stuff I wish I still had:
2013 Toyota Matrix [RIP]
1967 GMC 910 Fleetside, 283 V8 [1st Love-SOLD]
1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4, 4.0 I-6 [SOLD}
1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 5.7LV8 [SOLD]
1995 Chevrolet Astro AWD, 4.3L V6 (RIP)
1998 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4, 5.7L V8 [SOLD]
Legolas894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
big_al_71

I honestly cant remember as we took my truck completely apart within a week after I got it...I know that the next owner of my truck wont be able to pick one half ass rigged as the next owner of my truck is my one year old son......

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #16
jkeady

I have the benefit of having a pretty well-maintained '70, so I don't have too many horror stories there, but man, I have a '72 F-100 (shhhh...) that has seriously been beaten up and down.

Ended up making a custom wiring harness for it because the PO tapped the main ignition wire for... ta da! Fog lights! So lots of melting there. I replaced the dome light because there wasn't one, but later found the original had been screwed to the firewall above the fuse box, presumably so the PO could more easily see the wiring harness melting.

And of course, the obligatory holes drilled in the roof for clearance lights, looks to have had about 5 different styles of mirror over the years, holes in the bumpers, hood, etc for all manners of lights, and the worst offense I've found: a hitch welded to the rear frame, which by itself isn't terrible, but they must have been drunk when they did it because it's crooked.

'70 Custom Camper / 20
jkeady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #17
RW71

He took a torch to it so the spkers would fit.
Attached Images

RW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
dfwright

My family has owned our truck since it was new, so I have no comment...

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
jkeady

Of course the are things that I've done a year ago, two years ago, and come back to them going, "WTF was I thinking?"

'70 Custom Camper / 20
jkeady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #20
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeady View Post
...looks to have had about 5 different styles of mirror over the years,...
I have found that to be one of the most irritating things that people do. Its always fun to find that 'perfect' door only to find about a gazillion holes in it for every type of mirrior they ever made.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #21
70c10-08

On my truck the previous owner did a ****ty job replacing the floor he rivetted and cualked the repalcement panels and didnt bother to replace the cab braces i think if ur gonna replace a panel do it right weld it now i either have to buy a whole new cab or a whole new floor

Last edited by 70c10-08; 09-27-2009 at 07:34 PM.
70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
clinebarger

The thing about a 40 year old truck is you dont even know it was the previous owner it chould have been the 1st 2nd 3rd on and on. So when you buy a old/used truck,car,motorcycle,house its YOUR responsabillity to look at everything. The seller is trying to make money, you have to make sure you dont get screwed.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #23
mr48chev

My uncle had my 71 for about 25 years before I got it from my aunt. It has the cb antenna hole drilled in the middle of the roof, 30 something holes drilled in the bed rails and he drilled a hole through the inside of the box and through the fender and used a long bolt to hold down a tool box. Add to that about a dozen holes in the doors for different mirrors. One of his buddies welded a reinforcement plate on the rear bumper to mount The trailer ball and took out the license plate light.
I've got to go out now and figure out the extra wires that were put on it as there a break in the wiring somewhere and it won't start off the key. I had to jump across the starter Friday to get back from a road trip. Still it's a good solid old truck and It was free for going and towing it home with a rod out. That cost me a hundred bucks in gas and Pepsi for my buddy who towed it for me though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #24
Big-Blue

Heck, it's only the steering column. How important can that be?
Attached Images

Big-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #25
Big-Blue

Yep, just like the wiring schematic shows in the manual...
Attached Images

Big-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote