The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
jaycrew1

Windshield Wiper problems

Hey guys, its been a while but I finally have time to cruise the forums again.

I have been having a issue with my wipers. BTW I have read most all of the forums about wiper problems, without much luck fixing mine. So any help you can give would be appreciated.

Here is the deal...
I have a 1987 chevy C-20 crew cab truck that I have been working on for about three years. I have started driving it lately. It is a blast. However, I have been experiencing problems with my wipers.
The wiring harness for my truck is out of a 1990 chevy suburban. The suburban was loaded up at the factory. PW, PDL, Tilt, Cruise, etc....
I used the wiring harness, PW, PDL, steering column, fuse block, wiper motor and cruise control components from the suburban on my 87 truck body. So far everything works great except the cruise and wipers. I will get to the cruise later.

The wipers will only work when the switch is turn to "HIGH" the fastest setting. They will not work on "LOW" or delay. Also, the wipers stop where they are when I turn the switch to off.

Attempted fixes...

As I read in other posts on this site, I tried changing the motor. Didn't work.
I tested my current motor start from the battery, it has high and low speed.
I have a couple of motors here that look just like the original, I tried them too.
No Luck!

I changed the intermittent control module under the steering column (Looks like a small stereo amp) Didn't work.
I also removed the int. control module and plug the harness' straight, still didn't fix the problem.

I tried using a different steering column from another old truck I have, it is also a tilt column, with delay wipers. Still no luck. However I just laid the other steering column in the floor and hooked directly to the existing wiring harness. I didn't "Ground" the new column.

Please help. I don't want to throw a pile of money at this problem, if there may be a simple or inexpensive fix for it.
jaycrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
87Bob

Re: Windshield Wiper problems

This might help it's from my 85 service manual.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
sailed2japan
Jonny

Have you read the wire for the low speed going from the plug at the control module to the motor? it sounds like you don't have continuity there as the intermittent wipers run low speed at any interval.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
jaycrew1

Success,,, sort of.

I followed the diagram sent by 87bob. I ran a ground from the #2 terminal on the motor. Now high and low are working, however the motor will not shut off at all until the ignition key is turned off. The motor runs on low through the whole delay portion on the switch and on low speed, then high on high speed portion of the switch.

I appreciate the help. Did the 85 have delay wipers? Was the switch in the dash or on the column? I not sure if the diagram will cross reference to my truck. Just curious. Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
87Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycrew1 View Post
Success,,, sort of.

I followed the diagram sent by 87bob. I ran a ground from the #2 terminal on the motor. Now high and low are working, however the motor will not shut off at all until the ignition key is turned off. The motor runs on low through the whole delay portion on the switch and on low speed, then high on high speed portion of the switch.

I appreciate the help. Did the 85 have delay wipers? Was the switch in the dash or on the column? I not sure if the diagram will cross reference to my truck. Just curious. Thanks again for your help.
You have an open in that circuit you need to fix it and it should work fine. By doing the jumper you are intercepting or re-directing the ground. That is probably why the delay is not working it is working on low. Trace the wire connected to the number 2 terminal out and I believe that you will find a broken wire or a bad connection. My switch is on the column but I don't think it would make any difference.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
jaycrew1

Thanks, I will try this fix when I get off of work later. I will post if it works later tonight.
Is this a common problem with this era of trucks? I tried to be careful when removing the wiring harness from the suburban, but you never know when something might have gotten into a jam. I am not sure if the wipers were working correctly when the suburban was still drivable????????

Thanks for all your help. Looking forward to getting those wipers working.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
kikkegek

and?
suc6?

I have Hi and Lo, but no interval.

Yu guys have any idea how to fix it?
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
87Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkegek View Post
and?
suc6?

I have Hi and Lo, but no interval.

Yu guys have any idea how to fix it?
Have you check the delay module???????????? Do you know someone that has a working system???????? Swap modules and see if that cures your problem.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
kikkegek

nono,
over here in the Netherlands I am a raarity driving a 25 year old Burb!

so checking with somebody else is not in the question.
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

had the no shut off prob on my 87 and put a switch off it's fuse,up to the dash and back (a temp fix).
but will be doing this type of colum swap from 89 burb to 78 jimmy....just for the tilt alone.....hope wipers will work out
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote