The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
tonypaul

a rotor swap question

I read most of this thread a week or so ago while searching for info on some new rims for my truck. And forgive me if this was brought up already and I missed this info.

My truck still has the drum brakes up front which has to go. I found this : http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/product...3&dept_id=1035

Would this solve the problem to get these wheels to fit, by changing the rotor to a different bolt pattern?

Two days ago I purchased a whole suspension clip out of a 1980 5/8 ton truck, with plans to swap it over to over to my 68 GMC swb. I putting in a
8.1L (vortec496) with the 4t80e and thought this would be better for the extra weight I will be carrying now. So, does anyone know if a rotor from a chevelle (like in the above link) will just slide on the 5/8's spindle and give me the 4.75 bolt pattern Im wanting?

The reason Im doing this mainly is that Im putting in my beefed up `10 bolt
s10 rear axle to give me a tubbed look.
Thanks in advance for you input on this situation.....
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Got some new wheels: Boss 338's in 20x10 and 20x8.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypaul View Post
I read most of this thread a week or so ago while searching for info on some new rims for my truck. And forgive me if this was brought up already and I missed this info.

My truck still has the drum brakes up front which has to go. I found this : http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/product...3&dept_id=1035

Would this solve the problem to get these wheels to fit, by changing the rotor to a different bolt pattern?

Two days ago I purchased a whole suspension clip out of a 1980 5/8 ton truck, with plans to swap it over to over to my 68 GMC swb. I putting in a
8.1L (vortec496) with the 4t80e and thought this would be better for the extra weight I will be carrying now. So, does anyone know if a rotor from a chevelle (like in the above link) will just slide on the 5/8's spindle and give me the 4.75 bolt pattern Im wanting?

The reason Im doing this mainly is that Im putting in my beefed up `10 bolt
s10 rear axle to give me a tubbed look.
Thanks in advance for you input on this situation.....
That kit utilizes your current 68 drum brake spindles. Swapping the '80 parts over to your '68 is pointless unless you want the updated a-arm bushings or there's some other reason. That being said, I would guess those would not have an interefence problem because they're only 11" car rotors (which is down-grading from 12" truck brakes).

Also.... You state you want to use a 10-bolt S10 rear housing for a tubbed look. These wheels are a great deal only if/when they fit w/o extra mods ($$) required. They come in only one back-spacing so that along w/a 4" narrower rear housing is going to put the wheels waaaay inside the wells & will give that 'too much' look. You'll need wheels w/less back-spacing so they'll set within the wheel well properly & still give that killer big lip look you want.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
That kit utilizes your current 68 drum brake spindles. Swapping the '80 parts over to your '68 is pointless unless you want the updated a-arm bushings or there's some other reason. That being said, I would guess those would not have an interefence problem because they're only 11" car rotors (which is down-grading from 12" truck brakes).

Also.... You state you want to use a 10-bolt S10 rear housing for a tubbed look. These wheels are a great deal only if/when they fit w/o extra mods ($$) required. They come in only one back-spacing so that along w/a 4" narrower rear housing is going to put the wheels waaaay inside the wells & will give that 'too much' look. You'll need wheels w/less back-spacing so they'll set within the wheel well properly & still give that killer big lip look you want.
I really should have mentioned that I wasnt really going to use the Boss rims in this thread, it was more of a rotor swap question. I just do such a bad job of explaining things sometimes. I think Im going with these for the back: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bille...item20ad2d04a3
I have the s10 rearend up under the truck now. Just laying on the floor under the rear end thats in the truck now. From what I measured so far these will be a perfect fit.

So the fronts are what Im trying to figure out now, I need to redo everything on the front suspension on the truck now. I just got the 5/8's ton suspension a couple days ago. I really want to just rebuild all the 5/8's tons suspension on it and put it on the '68. The problem is I dont know if I can slide on a rotor from a chevelle, if so I will for sure get a larger drilled rotor upgrade. Just though I would pick someones brain on this. I guess I will run down to Autozone and buy a cheap rotor and some bearings and see if it will work.
Thanks for your responce!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
I really should have mentioned that I wasnt really going to use the Boss rims in this thread, it was more of a rotor swap question. I just do such a bad job of explaining things sometimes. I think Im going with these for the back: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bille...item20ad2d04a3
I have the s10 rearend up under the truck now. Just laying on the floor under the rear end thats in the truck now. From what I measured so far these will be a perfect fit.

So the fronts are what Im trying to figure out now, I need to redo everything on the front suspension on the truck now. I just got the 5/8's ton suspension a couple days ago. I really want to just rebuild all the 5/8's tons suspension on it and put it on the '68. The problem is I dont know if I can slide on a rotor from a chevelle, if so I will for sure get a larger drilled rotor upgrade. Just though I would pick someones brain on this. I guess I will run down to Autozone and buy a cheap rotor and some bearings and see if it will work.
Thanks for your responce!
In that case.... no, the Chevelle rotor will not work w/the later model GM truck HD disc brake spindle. There is a Lt.Duty GM truck spindle that utilizes 12x1" 5x5 pattern rotors that you can swap the Camaro 1Le 12x1" 5x4.75 rotors on to.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-19-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
In that case.... no, the Chevelle rotor will not work w/the later model GM truck HD disc brake spindle. There is a Lt.Duty GM truck spindle that utilizes 12x1" 5x5 pattern rotors that you can swap the Camaro 1Le 12x1" 5x4.75 rotors on to.
Thanks!!!! Back to the drawing board...... Also do you have any idea if there is a rotor that I can use to swap, maybe like a caprice with hd brakes? Im just reaching here.....

Last edited by tonypaul; 12-19-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: forgot something.....
Old 12-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
djracer

what is a 5/8's ton truck?

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
tonypaul

[QUOTE=djracer;3682823]what is a 5/8's ton truck?[/QUOTE

Its a HD model between the 1/2 ton and the 3/4 ton trucks. Supposed to have heavy duty brakes, swaybar, ect. I got the whole suspension still mounted on a frame thats cut about three feet back down the frame for $100.00.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

POL (PerformanceOnLine.com) has a rotor that will bolt on your 80's truck suspension and has the 5x4.75 bolt pattern.

http://www.performanceonline.com/sto...at=1086&page=1

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
tonypaul

Re: a rotor swap question

Thanks for the move, Im really sorry I dont know what I was thinking..... I get the wheels turning upstairs and forget that I was is someone else thread... Sorry again....

In short what I need to know is does someone make a disc rotor form a 1980 Chevy 5/8 ton that has the bolt pattern of 5x4.75?

Thanks in adavance
Old 12-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks for the move, Im really sorry I dont know what I was thinking..... I get the wheels turning upstairs and forget that I was is someone else thread... Sorry again....

In short what I need to know is does someone make a disc rotor form a 1980 Chevy 5/8 ton that has the bolt pattern of 5x4.75?

Thanks in adavance
Go to POL (the provided link) & ask them specifically. It looks like they do according to the info provided in that link. There is no direct swap available from your local auto parts place if that's what you seek w/o getting the specific lt.duty spindles as mentioned (which are different from the spindles on the 5/8 ton swap parts).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-19-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:

In short what I need to know is does someone make a disc rotor form a 1980 Chevy 5/8 ton that has the bolt pattern of 5x4.75?Thanks in adavance
Once again,...
YES.

Ask question,... read answer,...

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Once again,...
YES.

Ask question,... read answer,...
I didnt want to seem to be repeating myself but I got a PM from a moderator stating that I need to ask the question again in this forum. Its not a fact that I didnt read, I just wanted to make perfectly clear what I was after my other post were a little scattered in thought. Plus the link provided does not give a clear answer if this is something available. But thanks for your concearn.....

Last edited by tonypaul; 12-19-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 12-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

The fact that POL sells a rotor with a 5x4.75 bolt circle only starts the problems.
Most wheels that have the 5x4.75 bc don't have a big enough center hub opening. These are Chevy passenger car wheels.
Keep us posted on your progress.
I don't know of anyone running these rotors, and I'd like to see how they work on our old trucks front suspension.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 12-19-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
I didnt want to seem to be repeating myself but I got a PM from a moderator stating that I need to ask the question again in this forum......
I pulled your thread from the original post since it had a life of it's own. Your good to go now...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote