The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Mock1Racer

Talking My First Big Block

Hi all,
I have had the unbelievable luck of getting a 1972 C/20 Longhorn with the 402/400 engine/trans and the Dana 60 posi. It's orange and white and mostly all original, the wood is gone in the bed but all of the bolts are there. it needs a few things, like cleaning and all but I have not brought it home yet, so a real going through has not been done.It does have power steering and the A/C is still charged but I need to put the starter back on it, do some fluid checks and the engine should fire up.
This is my first big block so forgive some stupid questions as I don't know very much about them. Iv'e built a few 350's but I really don't know what works with the 402. I don't have any plans for the truck right now cause I'm in the middle of another project. I don't think I want to chop it up and hot rod it, but more like restore it with some upgrades,(braking,exhaust, etc.)
I'll get some pics of it on here one of these days.
Mock1Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Mock1Racer

Re: My First Big Block

Are the big blocks like the small blocks where the parts can be swapped? I.E. when I'm looking for rebuild stuff do I just find "big chevy 396-454" and that will work? Or is it like a D*mn ford where only one item works for my engine? When I'm searching, is there a difference with truck engines and car engines? Do the numbers tell me if it's a 4 bolt, or are all big blocks four bolts? Are distributors universal for these? crazy that the cam gear is the same as a small block. If I rebuild the engine and bore it out .030, does this make it a 427 c.i.? how does this affect the value for restoration?
Where can I get a spec book to take it back to original as far as paint goes, (engine, trans, engine bay, ) so when it does come apart I can paint it with the proper colors.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
custom72c20

Most parts from big blocks ans small blocks are not interchangeable, but distributors are. There is a difference in some car and truck engines. The difference can be the deck height but most of the stuff you'll come across will have a 9.8 inch deck height. Motors with that deck height include 396s, 402s, and 454s. An easy way to figure out what kind of block you have is to run the casting # on the block which is located behind the driver's side cylinder head. Not all blocks are 4 bolt mains and by running the casting number it will tell you what motor you have, which lets you figure out your bore and stroke. Your bore and stroke is what determines you c.i. As far as affecting the value of your truck, if you are doing a numbers matching resto then I would keep the original engine, but if your just looking for better performance, etc... then I would build a 454. A good item to purchase for a resto would be a factory assembly manual from one of the many truck restoration companies (Brothers, The Truck Shop, LMC, etc..). I'm probably missing a few things, but I hope this helps you.

Old pic of my 72: http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0435co5.jpg
04 Silverado Daily Driver
68 GMC short step http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=379665

"I'll beat you to the gas station!!"

custom72c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Mock1Racer

Yup, helps a bunch , thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
Mock1Racer

Well here she is , this is where she's been sitting for about six years.

Not in too bad of shape but still needs a lot of work. I'm planning as close to stock rebuild as possible with the parts I can find. Right now I'm just gathering all the info I can on this truck. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanx.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Southcity

Very cool truck Mock1racer, there is a lot of info about Chevy Longhorn trucks on the internet but you should look up board member "Longhornman" I'm certain he can provide you with a lot of info regarding these trucks. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
fbird68

Nice find man! I wish I could find a factory BB A/C truck at the very least for parts.
What's the knob above the left side dash vent for?

Richard

1971 C10 Custom
1964 Impala 2dr Hardtop
1965 Parisienne CS
1937 Nash Lafayette
1947 Willys CJ-2A
fbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Mock1Racer

i don't have any idea what that knob does. I know very little about this truck. I bought it to help my friend pay some medical bills, I've never even heard of a longhorn until now. Little did I know that I got a piece of chevy history.