The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
allthrottle,nobottle

exhaust question

i am considering redoing my whole exhaust
my truck is a daily driver so i want to put in exhaust cutouts and some pretty quite mufflers so i can go back an forth between quite enough to drove on the highway at 75 and open headers. i also want to install a "X" pipe

what do yall suggest for mufflers that will have a good quiet tone?
and what do yall think of the idea over all?

thanks in advance for the help
allthrottle,nobottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Re: exhaust question

Some Turbo mufflers. Idea sounds good.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
allthrottle,nobottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Some Turbo mufflers. Idea sounds good.
can you be more specific about the mufflers please?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Turbo mufflers, plenty of companies make them. I'm running some from Summit. Nice mellow rumble.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
allthrottle,nobottle

ok thank you...
any other suggestions???
Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
hartleymetalworks

im kinda an expert in the feild of high performance exhaust systems and i can tell u this, u get what you pay for. Turbos are cheap. Most are junk and will only last a few years. Flowmaster makes a really good product. you could go with a 50 or 70 series for a low to moderate tone. as for the cut outs, the good ones are kinda expensive. i would go with electric tho, the heck with cabled ones or gettin on the ground to uncap them. hope this helps
hartleymetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Fitz
Account Suspended

Try Magnaflow 8 in ovals 18 in long. Very mellow sound. I like them better than blowmasters. Dougs Headers has a really slick set of stainless electric cutouts too...LOUD
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
allthrottle,nobottle

im only in highschool so i dont have the money to buy electric cut-outs, but being in high has its perks, like i have access to the school multi-million dollar machine shop where i am going to make my own set of cut outs. im not exactly sure how i am going to do so yet, but im an engineering student so i will come up with something clever

and thanks for the additional muffler suggestions
Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
allthrottle,nobottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartleymetalworks View Post
im kinda an expert in the feild of high performance exhaust systems
since you are an expert can you tell me what you think of my planned exhaust layout?

Red- 3.0" diameter pipe
Green- 2.5" diameter pipe
Blue- Exhaust Cutouts
Black-Mufflers

and i want the exhaust to exit with some chrome tips in front of the rear wheels

oh and another question. someone told me exhaust tips have an effect on the sound. is this true or do they just look good?
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
hartleymetalworks

Tips will effect sound a little bit, but the louder your exhaust is, the more effect tips will have. Since you are going with quieter exhaust, tips will not effect sound that much. Also you shouldnt go from bigger to smaller pipes, it should be the other way around. from the headers you should go from smaller to bigger. start out like 2 1/4 and go to 2 1/2 or 3. BUT( this goes for your x pipe too) unless you have a 500 hp or more this is pointless. if you have a fairly stock engine a H pipe will do just fine and any pipe size over 2 1/2 is a waste. Also do you plan to do this exhaust urself or take it to a pro?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
allthrottle,nobottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartleymetalworks View Post
Tips will effect sound a little bit, but the louder your exhaust is, the more effect tips will have. Since you are going with quieter exhaust, tips will not effect sound that much. Also you shouldnt go from bigger to smaller pipes, it should be the other way around. from the headers you should go from smaller to bigger. start out like 2 1/4 and go to 2 1/2 or 3. BUT( this goes for your x pipe too) unless you have a 500 hp or more this is pointless. if you have a fairly stock engine a H pipe will do just fine and any pipe size over 2 1/2 is a waste. Also do you plan to do this exhaust urself or take it to a pro?
i have a 350hp engine, but i plan on making it 500+ in the next year so thats why i chose the x pipe

should i go with 2 1/2 pipe for the whole thing?
if i use 2 1/2 am i fine using 3 inch headers with a reducer?

and yes. im doing everything by myself, but i have a welder and a metal band saw, the only thing i dont have is a mandrel bender. so im going to buy some prebent pipe
Old 02-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
hartleymetalworks

yea it will just fine with 3" header collector to 2 1/2 reducer. one other thing, u said that u were guna run tips in front of the back tire. if this is the case things are guna get really tight. i mean the x pipe guna take up alota room, then u want cut outs, and most performance mufflers(like the 50 and 70 series flowmasters) are fairly long. u may consider a letting a pro run the pipes for you. save some money buy the mufflers or materals urself. just a suggestion. dont know what your skill level is.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthrottle,nobottle View Post
i have a 350hp engine, but i plan on making it 500+ in the next year so thats why i chose the x pipe

should i go with 2 1/2 pipe for the whole thing?
if i use 2 1/2 am i fine using 3 inch headers with a reducer?

and yes. im doing everything by myself, but i have a welder and a metal band saw, the only thing i dont have is a mandrel bender. so im going to buy some prebent pipe
Don't know how good you are at fabrication but when I went to a shop they wanted $1400.00 to install doug's electric cutouts, 14 in stainless magnaflows and 3 to 2.5 in reducers at the headers. I did my own. 2.5 in" stainless all the way and I tucked it up into the frame the way the "pros" at the muffler shop refused to do. Couldn't get an X pipe in but when the rear axle is on the bump stop NOTHING touches and my truck is dropped 2.5 in in front and 4.5 in in the rear.

My advice? Learn to weld. Save you a bundle.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
allthrottle,nobottle

not trying to sound cocky or anything but im pretty skilled and extremely creative. and anything i cant do my dad can.

if i run a "H" pipe instead of an "X" will it be easier to dump in front of the tires?

those pics look great.

Last edited by allthrottle,nobottle; 02-22-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
glider_6969

This is one I ordered and going to put in my 68 , check out the web site. Its from Magna flow and all stainless. A friend of mine has is it and it looks great.
Name:  exhaust.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  45.7 KB
glider_6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #16
allthrottle,nobottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider_6969 View Post
This is one I ordered and going to put in my 68 , check out the web site. Its from Magna flow and all stainless. A friend of mine has is it and it looks great.
Attachment 550774
how much it that?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #17
glider_6969

It cost me just over $500 bucks, shipped to my door. That's because I have to pay currency exchange and taxes. It would have cost me over a grand for some to do it for me. I'm going to install it my self.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #18
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

You can just run headers and dual 40's and kick em out in front of the rear tires like mine, although I am still trying to find some of the fillings my truck has shaken loose lol.

Good luck with the install, sounds like you are getting some good advise.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
glider_6969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviticus View Post
You can just run headers and dual 40's and kick em out in front of the rear tires like mine, although I am still trying to find some of the fillings my truck has shaken loose lol.

I let my Harley do that........
Old 02-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #20
allthrottle,nobottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviticus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider_6969 View Post
I let my Harley do that........
yeah... thats how it is now. at 70+ mph i cant even hear myself think. and since its a daily driver thats why i am putting much milder mufflers and exhaust cut outs for when i want to set of car alarms and other fun things like that

Last edited by allthrottle,nobottle; 02-22-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #21
'72customdeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthrottle,nobottle View Post
im only in highschool so i dont have the money to buy electric cut-outs, but being in high has its perks, like i have access to the school multi-million dollar machine shop where i am going to make my own set of cut outs. im not exactly sure how i am going to do so yet, but im an engineering student so i will come up with something clever

and thanks for the additional muffler suggestions
da hell? I'm jealous, our welding/metal shop is crap and the teacher is a scrub. I would go with an h-pipe purely due to space constraints and ease of fabrication, you're not going to get that racey/exotic tone out of a sbc with an x like you would an lsx car. I have headers and 2.25x14x4 magnaflows on the way along with all the other crap to get my soon to be goodwrench 350 up and running. Will be installed with an h-pipe and turned out under the steps. Even the quiet flowmasters drone and you will want to shoot yourself on a trip. And I can't see where you would put the large case ones, atleast on my stepside. Magnaflows along with dynomax ultra flos are mellow and resonation free, until you get on it. They get loud at wot. I don't see why people love flowmasters. I mean uh, they're great, i'll have some original 40 series available soon
Old 02-23-2010, 04:14 AM   #22
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

I am ruuning Headers with all 3 inch mandrel bent Y pipe Single Exhaust system The muffler is a ProTurbo Round Muffler by bullet performance. In my opinion its kinda quiet but it sounds mean when I get on it. Now with the QTP Electric Cutouts I installed its a different story LOUD REALLY LOUD. But its Bad A$$ when I roll up on some one and they rev their engine on me All I do is smile Look around for any police and hit the switch open Headers.
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #23
dznucks

Maybe these pics will give you some ideas.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=380456

This system has the racey/exotic tone that '72customdeluxe is alluding too.

Last edited by dznucks; 02-23-2010 at 07:59 AM.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #24
hartleymetalworks

the main reason you put in an X or H pipe, is to equalize each side of your exhaust. in theory the shorter you can make the H pipe, the better. basically the shortest, best flowing, most equalizing H pipe, is so short it becomes an x . So to answer your question yes an H pipe will suffice. Also magnaflow makes great products. Ive had a few customers complain about magnaflow, they say over time they get a little louder. I have never had them on any of my own trucks, so i cant say one way or another.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #25
allthrottle,nobottle

i just want to clarify... im not exactly sure what yall mean by "racey/exotic" tone??? are yall talking about the sounds that a honda civic 4 cylinder makes when a exhaust system is put on it?

cause i want it to sound like a classic hotrod with the lope
i just want to make it much quieter, i understand it is going to be loud when i hammer the gas but if its idleing or if im just driving around town or im cruising i want it to me mild enough that i can talk to the person in the passenger seat.