The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
2FastEddie

Leaf to Coil Shock Mount - How to hook em up?

Changing from leafs to coils on a '72 Cheyenne Super LB, using the CPP Totally Tubular kit ( http://www.classicperform.com/Store/.../6372TRS-K.htm). Despite the advertised picture and explanation of what I'm doing to the rep, there is nothing in the kit to mount the upper shocks to. Can I use the shock mounts from an original coil set up off another truck? Are there after market mounts? Thanks for the help.
2FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Leaf to Coil Shock Mount - How to hook em up?

Anyone?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I don't know the details on a leaf spring truck.

On a coil spring truck the shocks (in stock form) mount to tabs attached to the crossmember that is over the axle. It looks like that kit has fairly standard shock relocators for that purpose but I don't know the stock upper mount location for a leaf spring truck.

If you have a picture of that part of your truck we should be able to noodle it out (or maybe someone who atually knows will drop by with an answer!)
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Mr-Jack
Beer Drink'n Knuckle Dragger

are you talking about the upper or lower shock mount?

i know you can either fab your own or diy4x.com has a bar that you can order to place your own, but it's more geared towards 4x4...might be able to make something like it work
Mr-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
JW76

Have you spoken to Jeff specifically. Perhaps he could advise. On their image online they show a piece of tube steel spanning between the frame rails with the upper mounts but I can't remember if that piece is 73-87 specific.
JW76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Mr-Jack
Beer Drink'n Knuckle Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW76 View Post
Have you spoken to Jeff specifically. Perhaps he could advise. On their image online they show a piece of tube steel spanning between the frame rails with the upper mounts but I can't remember if that piece is 73-87 specific.
it says to call and that they can make them custom length or at least work something for you...worth a shot
Mr-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #7
2FastEddie

Thanks all for the input. Jeff and CPP have been no help despite knowing what I was trying to do when I dropped big buck on the kit. Seems like a pretty big detail to have left out. The bar that the upper shocks mount to in the ad doesn't exist. They put it in for the ad only!?!?!?!? FYI, the cool blue color of the kit in the ad doesn't exist either. It ships a not-so-cool grey. I'll try to get some pictures posted to better explain my problem. Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I would think you could just scavenge the crossmember off a coil spring truck or make one.

I'm in the process of restoring my frame. I just put that part back in. You can see one of the shock mounts sticking out below the crossmember in this picture. If it helps.. I could get more detailed pictures tonight when I get home.

68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....

Last edited by panhandler62; 04-08-2010 at 07:38 AM.
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandler62 View Post
I would think you could just scavenge the crossmember off a coil spring truck or make one.
Exactly..... Sounds like you just need to get a shock c.member.

I wouldn't expect CPP to supply these in the 'kit' since they aren't needed for guys w/coil trucks that purchase the CPP coil suspension drop kits (which is what the Totally Tubular kit is). Did the kit have the shock relocation brackets?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-08-2010 at 09:49 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
CPPJEFF
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FastEddie View Post
Thanks all for the input. Jeff and CPP have been no help despite knowing what I was trying to do when I dropped big buck on the kit. Seems like a pretty big detail to have left out. The bar that the upper shocks mount to in the ad doesn't exist. They put it in for the ad only!?!?!?!? FYI, the cool blue color of the kit in the ad doesn't exist either. It ships a not-so-cool grey. I'll try to get some pictures posted to better explain my problem. Thanks again.
Ok super thanks to the member he sent me this post, keep in mind if i am not aware of the issue i cannot help. I will get with Danny right now but the info on that upper silver shock crossmember being not included is valid, we dont give you that with the kit as all it does is support are roll around display as we are simulating what it would look like on a truck. I will have our engineer chime in A.S.A.P. on this issue. Thanks
CPPJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
CPPJEFF
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPJEFF View Post
Ok super thanks to the member he sent me this post, keep in mind if i am not aware of the issue i cannot help. I will get with Danny right now but the info on that upper silver shock crossmember being not included is valid, we dont give you that with the kit as all it does is support are roll around display as we are simulating what it would look like on a truck. I will have our engineer chime in A.S.A.P. on this issue. Thanks
Ok i think there was some confusion on this sale and i appologize we dont make an actual 63-72 leafspring to coilspring conversion kit. I have sold customer numerous individual components from this package to do what you are doing but i have never been asked for the shock crossmember. According to danny the shock crossmember from a coil truck will not work on a leaf truck as they are different, appears we will need to fab up a crossmember, if i sold this to you under the assumption it was a leaf spring to coil spring kit, then my deepest appologies!!! Last but not least we sell those silver color parts and most guys love them, sorry you were disappointed.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPJEFF View Post
Ok i think there was some confusion on this sale and i appologize we dont make an actual 63-72 leafspring to coilspring conversion kit. I have sold customer numerous individual components from this package to do what you are doing but i have never been asked for the shock crossmember. According to danny the shock crossmember from a coil truck will not work on a leaf truck as they are different, appears we will need to fab up a crossmember, if i sold this to you under the assumption it was a leaf spring to coil spring kit, then my deepest appologies!!! Last but not least we sell those silver color parts and most guys love them, sorry you were disappointed.
1/2 ton 2wd leaf frame vs. 1/2 ton 2wd coil frames different? Not from what I've measured/investigated (I had one of each sitting in my driveway @ the same time so it was pretty obvious).

The frames curve identically where the coils would mount. The leaf frames have some formed 'beads' in the frame areas where the leaf hangers would mount that the coil frame didn't have. They also had a c.member between the hangers that the coil frames don't have.

The leaf shock mounts are independent to each side vs. the coil frame that has the crossmember that runs from side to side w/the mounts on the bottom.

I can't think why the coil shock c.member wouldn't work on a leaf frame w/some holes drilled? Please ask Danny what specifically doesn't allow it to work....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
CPPJEFF
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
1/2 ton 2wd leaf frame vs. 1/2 ton 2wd coil frames different? Not from what I've measured/investigated (I had one of each sitting in my driveway @ the same time so it was pretty obvious).

The frames curve identically where the coils would mount. The leaf frames have some formed 'beads' in the frame areas where the leaf hangers would mount that the coil frame didn't have. They also had a c.member between the hangers that the coil frames don't have.

The leaf shock mounts are independent to each side vs. the coil frame that has the crossmember that runs from side to side w/the mounts on the bottom.

I can't think why the coil shock c.member wouldn't work on a leaf frame w/some holes drilled? Please ask Danny what specifically doesn't allow it to work....
I actually misunderstood danny, there are alot of subtle differences on the frame but he is not sure on the shock crossmember. Oops.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:11 AM   #14
2FastEddie

You guys have been a great help figuring this out. I think Panhandler and Scoti are right, that the cross member from a stock coil truck should work and that's what I will try. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Thanks a 1/2 ton!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
CPPJEFF
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FastEddie View Post
You guys have been a great help figuring this out. I think Panhandler and Scoti are right, that the cross member from a stock coil truck should work and that's what I will try. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Thanks a 1/2 ton!
Thanks and keep us posted!~