The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
grs

Cup holder installed

I got this idea from someone else. Got the cup holder from Pep Boys. I made the brackets, and bolted it to the seat. Thanks for the posts men. I would not have thought of the idea. The cup holders work great. Grady
Attached Images

grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Cup holder installed

Without intending to seem sarcastic, this reminds me of my friend, Sean and his Harley bagger. It has a windscreen to keep the wind off his face, an intercom so he can talk to his wife when she's on the back without shouting and two cupholders so they can have their coffee while they ride. When we ride together I ride my chopped, slammed, stretched American Ironhorse...no windscreen, no bags, no intercom and absolutely no F'n cupholder. I tell him he might as well stay home with his backside firmly planted on his Laz-y-Boy in front of the TV 'cause riding anything equipped that way is like driving around in his family room!

It's an old TRUCK, not a barcalounger. It's supposed to be old, rusty, loud, dusty, uncomfortable and most of all, an embarrassment to the rest of your family!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
nrb's70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz View Post
without intending to seem sarcastic, this reminds me of my friend, sean and his harley bagger. It has a windscreen to keep the wind off his face, an intercom so he can talk to his wife when she's on the back without shouting and two cupholders so they can have their coffee while they ride. When we ride together i ride my chopped, slammed, stretched american ironhorse...no windscreen, no bags, no intercom and absolutely no f'n cupholder. I tell him he might as well stay home with his backside firmly planted on his laz-y-boy in front of the tv 'cause riding anything equipped that way is like driving around in his family room!

It's an old truck, not a barcalounger. It's supposed to be old, rusty, loud, dusty, uncomfortable and most of all, an embarrassment to the rest of your family!
amen
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

lol but what if I get thirsty!

looks good I need to do this! is the plastic thin? it looks flimsy (lol its plastic!)

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
67Slider

I disagree. Amenities in an old truck is like a beer with a coozie. They were meant to be together but took some time to evolve. Good job. I am thinking of doing this project for mine. After: Paint, drop kit, etc, etc......
67Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
nrb's70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Slider View Post
I disagree. Amenities in an old truck is like a beer with a coozie. They were meant to be together but took some time to evolve. Good job. I am thinking of doing this project for mine. After: Paint, drop kit, etc, etc......
im not against modern things in old trucks (heck im going to put power erything in mine) but i love the bare bones rat rod look as well
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
johnnytuff

why not ditch the ashtray and put an aftermarket cupholder in there
johnnytuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
big_al_71

Looks great!!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
capev86

i like the in dash cup holder....you don't actually have to modify anything....just plug and play and you can change it back to the ash tray for car shows and when not drinking stuff. i plan to get one eventually....

but this floor mount unit is certainly a neat idea too, especially if the middle spot on the bench doesn't see passengers often....
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
leddzepp

I like the cup holder. Easier than holding a beer between my legs while driving

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
dznucks

Fitz, i totally agree with your point of view on things.

Quote:
It's an old truck, not a barcalounger. It's supposed to be old, rusty, loud, dusty, uncomfortable and most of all, an embarrassment to the rest of your family!
.......thats awesome and well put.

but after having to turn around to change clothes due to my coffee flipping out from between my legs and staining my pants and shoes on the way to work, on more than three occasions..... i think thats a great upgrade and a very clean install. nice job. whats funny is it never happens with a beer. i usually keep a hand on that and drive with the other.

Last edited by dznucks; 04-20-2010 at 08:14 PM.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
dfwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
It's an old TRUCK, not a barcalounger. It's supposed to be old, rusty, loud, dusty, uncomfortable and most of all, an embarrassment to the rest of your family!
This may be true for you, but not for me. Our truck has been in our family since new, and we always had cup holders of one kind or another in it. Either the old kind that stuck on the door, or a console sitting on the bench, or something.

I fondly remember driving the back roads of Texas on a warm summer evening in our truck with the windows down, a large ice tea, good tunes, and nowhere particular to go.

I'm going through my whole rebuild just be able to do that again.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
dan42

Cupholders are cool. Sipping on something cold is always nice when you're taking a cruise on a hot day. That one looks like my shift lever would hit it though.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Without a cupholder where would I put my spit cup during the winter when it's too cold to roll with the windows down and spit out the window ?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
capev86

ok.....that is just disgusting......i have enough coworkers that indulge in chaw.....

can we keep this a clean discussion?......
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
johnnytuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Without a cupholder where would I put my spit cup during the winter when it's too cold to roll with the windows down and spit out the window ?
dashboard cupholder wouldn't work. too far away for accurate spitting
Old 04-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
RichardJ

johnnytuff wrote, "why not ditch the ashtray and put an aftermarket cupholder in there".
I have to agree and have done that in my '67. I found a toyoto camry cup holder that is the same height and only slightly wider than the ashtray. When you pull it out, two arms drop down to support the bottom of the two cups. I closed up the hole for the lighter, but the switch for the twin fuel tank relay will go there when I get the tanks ready and remove the cab tank.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #18
grs

Our trucks are not to be old, rusty, and a pile of garbage. I love old cars and trucks. I love to upgrade them, and make them better, and more comfortable. A cup holder holds the cup so I can hold the wheel. Some people have over $40,000 in an old pickup truck, and some have under $5,000. Some have rat rods. I like rat rods too. I try to get along with everyone. I don't care how big they are, how ugly they are, or what color they are. I say let us do what we want to with our cars, and trucks. I put $35,000 in a 1950 Mercury. If I had keep it I would have put a cup holder in it. I am an X-drunkard that God has saved. Gos bless you all. Grady
Old 04-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #19
mclairmo

This reminds me of my mother who would buy a little plastic waste basket for every car in the family and then insert a nicely trimmed paper bag liner. Nice install but stuff like that is for old ladies, no offense. If it don't make it go faster, I leave it off. My truck has no heater, no a/c, no radio, manual drums all around, old bench seat, no cup holder and no gosh darn waste basket.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #20
johnnytuff

have to agree with mclairmo. previous truck was 85 s10 4x4. ugly but went anywhere. no cupholder
Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 AM   #21
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Nice cup holder, that's the same one my dad has in his little euro ports coupe, cause the cup holder they put in it was supposedly designed for 2oz espresso shots lol.

And Fitz, hell I had a 107ci rigid frame chopper that I was always trying to find a clean place to put a cup holder for my coffee I got enough flack for smoking while riding low speeds around town, man if I had a cup of joe too, that would be too sweet

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #22
beebster

Location: Aurora,Il ..born,raised and still live in the same house

Hey Grady, just saw this one today at meijer store (local superstore for those not from the midwest) this looks like a great idea.
for now i just rest my iced coffee in between whatever is next to me on the bench seat, i just jam it in between magazines,jumper cables, hand cleaner, etc.. ha ha.
beebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #23
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Good point

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #24
grs

Hey beebster, are you going to the JC Whitney car show in Lasalle, IL.? I think it is May 2nd. I think I might go. Thanks all for your comments on my cup holder. Who would have thought a cup holder would have caused so much trouble. Grady
Old 04-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #25
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwright View Post
This may be true for you, but not for me. Our truck has been in our family since new, and we always had cup holders of one kind or another in it. Either the old kind that stuck on the door, or a console sitting on the bench, or something.

I fondly remember driving the back roads of Texas on a warm summer evening in our truck with the windows down, a large ice tea, good tunes, and nowhere particular to go.

I'm going through my whole rebuild just be able to do that again.
Don't mind me. I'm just having fun.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote