The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
nrb's70gmc

best repo fenders

i am in need of 2 new front fenders for my gmc and was wondering what company makes the best quality--i have never bought sheetmetal (body panals) from any company yet but i was thinking about goodmark.
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: best repo fenders

Since you are located in CA (I'm in So Cal) I would go with used fenders as they will likely fit better than any repros out there. I have tried the repro stuff and it's often is not worth the trouble. Good used sheetmetal is usually best. However, I have heard that Goodmark stuff is great fitting and the few Goodmark parts I bought look great.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
GASWAGON
AMERICAN IRON ADDICT

Personally I would look for a solid set of originals. The aftermarket stuff is very thin and really fits poorly. If your not fussy that might not bother you, but the body lines are really tough to get with aftermarket panels. I have a friend who bought a couple of goodmark fenders for a Camaro. They fit poorly and they wieghed 22 pounds compared to the 40pounds of the NOS ones he bought to replace the goodmark pieces. I bought a hood for a 67 c-20 I had it was poor to say the least. Just my 2 cents.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASWAGON View Post
Personally I would look for a solid set of originals. The aftermarket stuff is very thin and really fits poorly. If your not fussy that might not bother you, but the body lines are really tough to get with aftermarket panels. I have a friend who bought a couple of goodmark fenders for a Camaro. They fit poorly and they wieghed 22 pounds compared to the 40pounds of the NOS ones he bought to replace the goodmark pieces. I bought a hood for a 67 c-20 I had it was poor to say the least. Just my 2 cents.

Thats cause goodmark changed their supplier of sheetmetal. The quality is not the same . They sell a lot of Golden Legion parts now I think.You have to buy quality reproduction parts. The best although not perfect is made by Triplus. same gauge as OEM. Yes their hoods are not for show trucks without work I will give you that. Daily drivers you can usually make them work. I agree overall though if you can get a good oem part obviously that is the way to go.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
nrb's70gmc

well i dont know the sheet metal history on my truck but i cant get the cowl to line up with the fenders then the gap between the hood and the cowl (sides) is tight.

does anyone else know what im talking about? and with my cowl (on the passenger side) the cowl sticks out maybe 3/4 of an inch past ware the a piler is supposed to line up with the cowl
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
Old 04-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrb's70gmc View Post
well i dont know the sheet metal history on my truck but i cant get the cowl to line up with the fenders then the gap between the hood and the cowl (sides) is tight.

does anyone else know what im talking about? and with my cowl (on the passenger side) the cowl sticks out maybe 3/4 of an inch past ware the a piler is supposed to line up with the cowl

We do this kind of work all the time. Its are job. Its hard to diagnose a vehicle over a description. pics help. Without knowing its history. The first thing we tell people is make sure the the front is lined up correct. It takes measuring not eyeballing. Many times seeing it in person the answer is readily apparant. getting the frame straight also helps even though most people do it after the fact to save a dime.
If you have repop fenders on there now sometimes you will have to cut some off the top of the brace where it bolts onto the pillar. Not always but sometimes. It will not allow the cowl to lay flat. If you are talking horizontally you may not have things shimmed correct. I would check the squareness of the front end first.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
nrb's70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
We do this kind of work all the time. Its are job. Its hard to diagnose a vehicle over a description. pics help. Without knowing its history. The first thing we tell people is make sure the the front is lined up correct. It takes measuring not eyeballing. Many times seeing it in person the answer is readily apparant. getting the frame straight also helps even though most people do it after the fact to save a dime.
If you have repop fenders on there now sometimes you will have to cut some off the top of the brace where it bolts onto the pillar. Not always but sometimes. It will not allow the cowl to lay flat. If you are talking horizontally you may not have things shimmed correct. I would check the squareness of the front end first.
maybe i will get a picture up this week so you can see
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
67/72junkie
Account Suspended

Man you are in CA the land of good sheet metal.Contact Bill in Fremont if you want to buy without hunting the pick n pulls or just keep scanning craigslist.There is also a guy name Dave who has lots of parts has ad on los angels craigslist regular and another lives in campbell has ad on san fran craigs list.
67/72junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
nrb's70gmc

i was looking at goodmarks website the list some fenders for $70.00 (they must be real winners) lol

and then they list better quality fenders for $199.00 obviously i would buy the better quality (if i had to)

my question is what is the main diffrence for the diffrent prices? thicker metal or are they supossed to fit better?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrb's70gmc View Post
i was looking at goodmarks website the list some fenders for $70.00 (they must be real winners) lol

and then they list better quality fenders for $199.00 obviously i would buy the better quality (if i had to)

my question is what is the main diffrence for the diffrent prices? thicker metal or are they supossed to fit better?
Not sure on the quality diference, but if you go Goodmark try to find a local goodmark dealer. My local dealer said he could get the "best" fender for $170 with no shipping. I ended up ordering a tri plus from MBGMike, I'll post pics and any problems once it gets here.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote