The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
slick78

Dropped shock or regular?

So i lowered my front end on my '78 chevy stepside. I got 2 1/2 spindles and 1 inch coil. My question is do i need dropped shocks? And if i do what do u guys recommend? Or can i use my stock shocks? And for the rear i only got two leaf springs (thats how i got it when i bought it) can anyone tell me what size dropp that is? Thanx!
slick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Dropped shock or regular?

The spindles have no effect on the shock length, so as far as the shock "knows" you only have 1" of drop. Running stock length shocks is fine.
The 2 leaves in the rear might be a problem. Someone has apparently removed the rest of the pack to get it lower. There are 2 issues with doing that. First is in weight carrying capacity, it is certainly compromised. This will keep you from loading nearly anything into your truck or towing with it for that matter.
A lot of guys wouldn't care about that part, but....It also weakens the spring's ability to control the rear axle itself. You will get what is known as "axle wrap" or "spring wrap". This occurs when you accelerate from a standing start. The pinion tries to "climb" up the ring gear, rather than moving the truck forward. "Soft" springs allow this to happen, until it snaps back....this is not only hard on the springs, but everything else in the differential. It can break spider gears,axles, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
grinch4om
dang its hot

if you want to remove spring from the rear for lowering purposes it is best to remove the rear half only.(I used a cut off wheel and left 2 springs rearward, 5 forward) This keeps the pack on the front half of the spring thus inhibiting spring wrap. I did this and clamped the front half pack(ala old mopar drag trick) a good heavy sway bar and this thing leaves flat with no wheel hop ever. also took out overload spring. This lowered the truck roughly 2 "

Last edited by grinch4om; 05-02-2010 at 08:40 AM.
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
slick78

Ok. So which shocks do guys recommend? And how many leafs spring should i have if i only got 2 on each side? Its a 1978 chevy half ton.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
johnsrob

I just bought a 73 that was lowered and they did it wrong lowered on to the bump stops and a terrible ride and some of the rear leaf spring were missing. Bought a new flip kit from belltech part number 6850 6 inch drop in the rear and new leaf springs. Some of our years came with different leaf springs count 4, 6, and 8. I bought new one's, paid way to much but I wanted the new stuff. I bought the new belltech street performance shocks little pricey but they work very well better than their nitro shock. I have 2 or 2 1/2 drop spindles in the front. I spent a lot but my handle and ride is good for a lowered truck.
johnsrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
johnsrob

I used the new BELLTECH STREET PERFORMANCE shock and yes it was a drop shock. they have shocks made exactly for what you have. Give the website a try it was very helpful to me. I was at the same fork in the road
Old 05-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
johnsrob

I bought drop shock from belltech
Old 05-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
johnsrob

Not really sure if this will help but this is where I started my research from

http://www.belltech.com/productfinder/

http://www.belltech.com/productfinder/
Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
slick78

those shicks look pretty good and for the price their not too bad.looks like i might go with those.thanx for all the help guys.