The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2001, 02:58 PM   #1
sagasta

Post Overheating

Small problem and just want to know if Im thinking right. I have a huge 4 core radiator that could cool a tank and while Im cruzing around does just fine. My problem comes about when I turn my engine off. Say Iv been driving around an hour and decide to stop and get a coke, (or pepsi whatevers your prefrence) as soon as I turn off the engine I see my temp gauge shoot up. Now ,unless I plan on going in there and staying an hour, when I come out and turn my engine over it will give me fits unless I gun it for a minuite and let some of that nice cool Arizona air flow over it. Ive been thinking of putting an eletric fan on. Will this keep this from happing? ( Would like to get the duel fan I saw someone on here has, but I forget who that was. I thought it was cool though.}

------------------
77 Chevy Stepside 4x4. Edelbroch Carb and Intake.
MSD Ignition & distributer
Old Beater on the outside, big heart on the inside
sagasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 07:31 PM   #2
DBLSPRT68

Question

SOUNDS LIKE A PRESSURE PROBLEM TO ME. IF IT COOLS JUST FINE WILL IN MOTION AND RUNNING, WHEN YOU TURN YOUR ENGINE OFF ALL RADIATORS BUILD UP PRESSURE. NORMALLY A SLIGHT RISE IN TEMP WILL HAPPEN, BUT YOURS CLIMBS HIGHER? WHAT POUNDAGE RADIATOR CAP DO YOU HAVE. CHECK TO SEE WHAT THE STOCK CAP IS SUPPOSED TO BE. DOES YOUR COOLANT RECOVERY SYSTEM WORK? NOT SURE WHAT IT COULD BE BUT IF IT COOLS WHILE DRIVING THEN I'M GUESSING IT'S NOT A FAN. DAVID

------------------
NEW TRUCK: 1982 3/4 LWB CHEVY 350-TH400-2WD W/89 SUBURBAN FRONT. TOYOTA CELICA DAILY DRIVER. PROJECT:1965 BEL AIR 2-DOOR.
MEMPHIS, TN

PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 01:51 AM   #3
bigd65

mine was doing something like that. i spent about 300.00 bucks fixing it. put the 4 core in, new water pump, thermo, etc... well it was the fan clutch. i had taken it off and put a flex fan on. these trucks dont work with a flex fan. as far as yours, is it really getting that hot or is it just picking up heat somewhere. if its hard to start maybe its just your starter is getting old and cant handle heat.if its not getting hot while you are driving or the engine is running, it might not be a heating problem and you might just have a slight short somewhere. if i sit with the radio on for sometime the gauges will rise a slight bit but when i start it they go back down. that is just the way the GM gauges work. good luck i hope i may have given you something more to try or look at.

------------------
85 C10 350/700r4
HOLLEY STREET DOMINATOR IANTAKE
EDELBROCK 1406 COMP. SERIES CARB.
HYPERTECH POWER COIL
FACTORY HEADERS
MAGNAFLOW CAT/MUFFLER/3in. EXHAUST
3.42 REAR GEARS
PROTHANE SUSPENSION-TOTAL KIT
and still going
"thats my toy"
Jeff Dodson
Angleton,Tx.

Old 03-16-2001, 11:06 AM   #4
sagasta

I think you might have nail'ed it, Big65. The fella that had it before me replaced the clutch fan with the flex. It never crossed my mind. I knew it was different, but I dident think it would make a difference. Thanks Ill start from there.

------------------
77 Chevy Stepside 4x4. Edelbroch Carb and Intake.
MSD Ignition & distributer
Old Beater on the outside, big heart on the inside
sagasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 09:50 PM   #5
tibbarkcaj

My 76 sub gives me fits kinda like that, It will get hot when you shut it off and then don't like to start, or runs like crape when started back up. I found that it wasn't a cooling prob, My timing was a little off, A little reajustment and no prob, for awile, I've been running a flex fan [17 inch] for about 6 years now on my 454 with no prob. Good luck
tibbarkcaj is offline   Reply With Quote