The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Mad Viking

Need suspension advice

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I've never played with suspensions before and this is my first truck.

I have a 71' 3/4 ton with a leaf suspension. My plan is to make this into my muscle truck. I want to lower the truck either 3/5 or 4/6 but I still want to be able to tow a boat (22') or get a load of lumber.

The way I understand it, if I can put airbags on all four corners, this would be the best way to lower and maintain load capacity. As it is now, from the airbag systems I have seen, my slush account can't handle that right now. I have a lead on a set of 3/4 ton trailing arms from a 71' GMC for $150 that includes everthing (arms, spring perches, shock mounts, bolts, etc) that I can mount on my truck. I already have the proper crossmember mounted in my truck for trailing arms. This would allow me to lower the rear end and provide the ability to use airbags later.

The other rout I can go is to use a rear axle flip kit for $300 and front drop spindles for an additional $300. This will lower the truck as well and maintain load capacity. I know that with either option I will have to install a C-notch on the frame.

Here's where I need advice, which option would the forum recommend for lowering and loading? I've heard that trailing arms provide a better ride but is it that noticable, especially in a 3/4 ton?

"Stupid is as Stupid does" - Forrest Gump
Mad Viking is offline   Reply With Quote