The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
laplander

Question Best drop for a daily driven 'Burb?

I'm getting ready to start ordering parts for my '72 Suburban and need some real world advice on a drop. Is the 4/6 too much to be driven every day, or is a 3.5/5 a better option? The roads out here aren't the greatest and am concerned about that and the speed bumps. I'd like to avoid C-notching the back if at all possible too. Does anyone have any pics of theirs and or any special things I need to think about before doing it? Thanks.
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
AzDon

Re: Best drop for a daily driven 'Burb?

I prefer lowered, but I can appreciate ANY choice a guy wants to make for his own vehicle.....
There's pics of mine here somewhere....
I personally think that the lowest "mild" drop is achieved by using 2.5 inch spindles and trimming one loop off each coil spring. I used 2" lowering blocks in the back.
The truck is tastefully low, but handles well and does not bottom out in most normal situations. I do hafta go slow thru dips and avoid the tallest speed bumps. Any lower would probably be a disaster anless it was a bag job.
AzDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by capev86 View Post
the answer is: NO DROP.....
WOW! That's a rather biased opinion. I guess all the times I pulled car haulers, or loads of equipment didn't count because my trucks were lowered and had air bags on them. I was to busy laying low and hauling loads to notice how impractical it was.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 07-05-2010 at 11:39 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
wild4wheels

I think cape has had a bad day..2nd post I've seen from him tonight slamming somebodys truck. I say try the 2.5" spindles with the stock springs first, then decide if you want to cut your existing springs or buy new ones. I tried the "safe" 2" drop springs and ended up w/ zero drop as the old ones were..well just that..old! Hope that helps.

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
jorgensensc

Personal thought here. I have a 3/4 burb and I've decided on air bags. I really can't lower it much because of the wheel offset and rubbing, but if I coud come down about 2" in front and about 3-4" in back I would be happy. If you use bags you can still tow/haul and raise the vehicle up if necessary. Jmo.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by capev86 View Post
the answer is: NO DROP

this is a truck.....unless you live in a flat place like texas or so cal and dont actually plan to use it as a truck. i bought my 72 burb 3/4 ton 2wd in stock trim and plan to keep it that way. it is awesome having all that ground clearance and being up high in relation to other drivers. it isn't so high off the ground that i need a step ladder to get in. there was a method to the madness when GM originally built their trucks and to drop it is to make it less than perfect. but if you must drop it to fit in with the "cool" crowd, i suggest you just go with a 2" all around. the chevy ss / 90's street truck scene comes to mind. now its all about how low / impractical you can make it and how many thousands did you spend on your fancy air bag system......
The OP did not ask you for an opinion of whether or not to lower ...nor did he request yet another rant from you about how a truck is a truck and how horrified you are by all the "impractical" lowered trucks out there...
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
chris mc bride

quick question why does everyone lower the rear quite a bit more than the front? This is number wise .I've never noticed chevy trucks having a lot of built in rake. Maybe its just the ones Ive read the numbers on.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Mulk

I have a 68 3/4 ton that I use as my daily driver (although it's currently parked waiting for a new brake booster). I used 2 1/2 drop spindles and 3 inch springs in front, and 5 inch TRUCK springs in back (Early Classic Ent said it would achieve about a 6 inch drop with the extra weight of the Burb). I did not notch frame, but did remove about an inch of the bump-stop. I do have to slow for those neighborhood intersection dips, and speed bumps, but don't have any issues with regular driving. Actually it's very pleasant to drive, with MUCH less body roll compared to the old worn-out springs. However, I wouldn't be able to tow much more than a hammock and some mosquito net. As you can see, it still has a slight rake, but not too much.
Attached Images

Mulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
wild4wheels

Mulk, the Burb looks tough! Wish I woulda made a power play on a sweet 3/4 ton Burb that was running around here. If ya don't mind my askin, what size tires are you running?

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Mulk

Sorry this took so long, I kept forgetting to check...

The fronts are 225/75 16's... And the rears are 255/70 16's
Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Heavy Evy
born to lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulk View Post
I have a 68 3/4 ton that I use as my daily driver (although it's currently parked waiting for a new brake booster). I used 2 1/2 drop spindles and 3 inch springs in front, and 5 inch TRUCK springs in back (Early Classic Ent said it would achieve about a 6 inch drop with the extra weight of the Burb). I did not notch frame, but did remove about an inch of the bump-stop. I do have to slow for those neighborhood intersection dips, and speed bumps, but don't have any issues with regular driving. Actually it's very pleasant to drive, with MUCH less body roll compared to the old worn-out springs. However, I wouldn't be able to tow much more than a hammock and some mosquito net. As you can see, it still has a slight rake, but not too much.

Just a quick question where did you find 2 1/2 drop spindles for 3/4 ton?

'67 Chevy Belair Wagon 283 Powerglide
'68 Chevy II Nova 2 door 350 TH400 Sold!!
'71 Chevy C20 350 TH350
'71 Chevy C10 Burb 350 TH350 stolen totalled gone....

Burb Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475155

Nova Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498979

Wagon Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543052

Not giving a truck.
Heavy Evy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
Mulk

I got them, with the entire conversion from Performance Online. If I fo it right, here is the link: http://www.performanceonline.com/196...-8-LUG-DELUXE/
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

'68 C20 Suburban, Bagged with Suicide 3rd Door, and Loaded with a 396 - Under Construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=403690
Old 12-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulk View Post
Man,... you have a COOL 'burb.
I don't understand the above statement?

I understand you're not going to put a skid loader on a trailer and go to work with this truck,... but they can very easily be built to tow a trailer.

Swap out those rear drop springs for some double convoluted air bags (with schrader valves) and tow any 16 ft. car trailer all day long.
Most cases the air bags are cheaper than the drop coil springs.
I just bought some new 7" Dominator bags from board member way2lo2 for $45 each.
Most can be bought anywhere for $75 each.
You can still have a low truck and pull a trailer,... you just have to drop it, with that in mind.

Again,... I love your burb,... and keeping it a 3/4 ton makes it stand out from the crowd!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
Mulk

I was just referring to it's set-up at that time, and lack of clearance with the C-notch. However, ive since notched it, and have pleanty more rome for it to squat under load.

I totally understand its abilities with some bags out back. With the 396 and gearing, I could tow a house.

Thanks for the props. I love 8-luggers lowered. Completely against the norm
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

'68 C20 Suburban, Bagged with Suicide 3rd Door, and Loaded with a 396 - Under Construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=403690
Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
1956cameo

Mulk, It is good to see a dropped 3/4 ton burb. I also have a 3/4 ton burb and have been wanting to lower it without converting it to a 1/2 ton. The pics of your burb are really inspiring me.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry

Last edited by 1956cameo; 12-05-2010 at 06:12 PM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
72k5zl1

looks great! im in the process of lowering my 71 3/4t. lolife99 turned me on to yours. i am sick of making calls and getting laughed at when i say i want to lower my 3/4 ton and keep it an 8 lugger. now i know how jan brady felt, "the middle child".
72k5zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #17
LuckyScott

I did a 3 inch coil spring drop in the front and a 4 inch in the back. The back was too low and would bottom out on the frame all the time.
I could not afford to C Notch the frame, so I put the 3 inch in the back.
That is how it is now.

Rides good, does not cause any problems, and I do drive it everyday.
See my ride in the picture thread.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #18
flomofo

For the disc conversion, is it cheaper to just get a used setup from stock disc truck if only doing a mild drop?

I keep looking at a 70 GMC Sierra Grande longbed 3/4 ton simply because the thing is loaded and needs paint but not a lot of body work.

I just need to find a way to have my heavy duty suspension and my lowered weekend cruiser cake too...

Anybody tried doing accuair on a 3/4 ton yet? I've only searched build threads where it was used on converted 1/2 ton suspensions.
flomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #19
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by flomofo View Post
For the disc conversion, is it cheaper to just get a used setup from stock disc truck if only doing a mild drop?

I keep looking at a 70 GMC Sierra Grande longbed 3/4 ton simply because the thing is loaded and needs paint but not a lot of body work.

I just need to find a way to have my heavy duty suspension and my lowered weekend cruiser cake too...

Anybody tried doing accuair on a 3/4 ton yet? I've only searched build threads where it was used on converted 1/2 ton suspensions.
I highlighted two key words.
They really don't go together.
I would call Accuair products the best in the air ride business.
Expect to pay for that quality product.
Accuair is just the air management system for your truck.
It will work fine on a 3/4 ton truck.
Even with a mild drop,... I would lower the front with drop spindles, so disc brakes will be required up front.
You also need quality shocks and a set of rear shock relocators, (I'm assuming your truck has rear coils springs) otherwise adding a set of drop rear leaf springs is a good idea.
An adjustable panhard bar is also a good idea.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 06-19-2011 at 08:03 AM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote