The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
SRVBLUES64

questions on interior

Im wondering if there a custom cover that coves the back area where the gas tank use to be on a 66 chevy truck, this would bend around the edges also. Also when cutting out the tank mounts how much do you cut out and how? Thanks Jeff
Attached Images

SRVBLUES64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
gulffishin

Re: questions on interior

I'm guessing you mean carpet right?...

I was thinking about getting one of these kits for my truck. It comes with cab wall, door panel and kick panel carpet.

http://www.autocarpetonline.com/GMC_...859-25440.html

As far as the gas tank mounts, I haven't taken mine out yet, but I was planning on either taking the short bolts out, the cab mount bolts out, drilling the spot welds out and removing the whole thing. Then buying some grade 8 bolts and nuts to refasten the cab to the frame. Or just taking my cutoff wheel and cutting the bottom parts that stick out off flush with the floor.

Last edited by gulffishin; 09-06-2010 at 07:55 PM.
gulffishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
jocko

not sure if this is what you're looking for - but here is a link the the LMC page that shows the cardboard cover for the in-cab gas tanks.
jocko

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=71

AH - never mind - just re-read and now see that you are going to mount the tank elsewhere apparently. The link I posted is probably not what you need.

Last edited by jocko; 09-06-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: correction
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
TR65

I am planning to build and aluminum storage box to mount where the gas tank was using the original tank mounts. I have not done it yet so I guess that doesn't help much, but maybe an idea.

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulffishin View Post
Or just taking my cutoff wheel and cutting the bottom parts that stick out off flush with the floor.
Yeah, that's what I did....

Markeb01 has a custom panel he made for the gas tank "delete" area, perhaps he can shed some light for you.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 09-06-2010 at 08:30 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I wanted something unique, so I made my own out of 3/16” ABS plastic. 1/8” might have worked, but I was adding a lot of weight with the padding and diamond tufted upholstery, and wanted everything to remain stiff and tight. Because of the need to extend the rear panel deep into the corners, I decided to make the panel in 3 pieces, and hide the seams behind the seats. This also kept the cost down by using 2’x4’ panels rather than a single large (expensive) piece. This concept would work equally well with carpet or upholstery. I believe there are sources for ready made pleat and roll vinyl that could simply be rolled over the top and bottom to nice effect.

ABS can also be bent with heat lamps or hot water should you want to “wrap” the ends up to the door jambs. I just used smaller flat panels between the back panel and the door jambs, because I’m the only one that sees them anyway.

I believe Rod Doors use to make a 3 piece fitted wrap around panel for the back, but they have gone out of business. I suppose thin plywood could also be used, but I never add backing materials to a car body that can retain water.

The first pic shows the center panel before I tightened up the upholstery, and the last pic shows all 3 pieces installed:

I thought I had before and after photos of the gas tank brackets, but looking through my files it appears I don't.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
6863m

Mark, without pictures of the ends by the door jams I am trying to understand what you have done. Did you just put end pieces at 90 degrees to the back piece. Or did you roll it.

How is it attached, to the back of the cab and to the jam or is it just sitting there held in by being tucked into the jam.
6863m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6863m View Post
Did you just put end pieces at 90 degrees to the back piece. Or did you roll it.

How is it attached, to the back of the cab and to the jam or is it just sitting there held in by being tucked into the jam.

The plan was to do a flat rear panel and use the 90 degree side pieces. I didn’t wrap the back panel around the corner since it would have been a great deal of effort to upholster and install with the tufting. The top of the panel would have to drop as it went around the corner, and the pie shaped sides would not allow a full tuft in such a small space, although I could have finished the edges with pleats. But mainly, having the straight panel I could extend it well into the cavity effectively concealing the ends of the tufted panels.

I haven’t looked back there in over a year, so I just went out and double checked how I finished it off. The plan was to make 2 small pie shaped panels and cover them in matching smooth vinyl, and fit them between the rear panels and the back of the jambs. I remember making up and upholstering the panels, but it appears I changed my mind and left them off because there’s nothing there but the gap. Looking straight back along the side of the seats, the area appears completely finished. Since the gap can’t be seen without turning backwards and looking over the edge of the seat, I must have thought the filler panels weren’t worth the effort to install. The bottom of the rear panel touches the lower corner of each jamb, and the top of the panel is about 3” back, so it’s pretty tight without them.

I’d take pictures for a better explanation but I haven’t had the use of my right hand for about a month so it’s pretty hard to take photos at the moment.

For attaching the rear panels, I used industrial Velcro along the upper edge of the panels, and the lower edge is secured with Velcro against cheap hardware store L brackets. I just bent them to fit anywhere needed. The panels are a very tight fit, and the outer panels are an interference fit with the safety belt eye bolts, so the brackets and Velcro don’t have to work all that hard, but the panels could be removed with relative ease if needed.

Last edited by markeb01; 09-07-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
6863m

Thanks, I understand. Velcro is wonderful stuff for interiors.
6863m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
jocko

More importantly - where did you get that tonto and lone ranger picture???!!!
That is AWESOME!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
TheDark1
Intentionally Left Blank

Hey Mark, I was wondering how you attached the kick panels to the truck? I wanted to make some with some speakers in them. Thanks, Jeff
2004 Jeep Wrangler (Sold)
2013 Jeep Wrangler (Sold)
2017 Jeep Wrangler (Blacked Out on 35's)
2011 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2015 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2018 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2020 D-Max Dually Denali on 33x12.50's
1979 GMC Short Bed Step-Side 4x4 350/350 Low Miles
TheDark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I used Auveco “Christmas Tree” clips, part number 12759. This might be the supplier I bought them from:

http://www.yourautotrim.com/12759.html

They were used to mount both the door panels and the kick panels. I drilled holes in the panels, and the heads are hidden under the upholstery. The panels can be permanent or removable depending on the size of the holes the trees plug into. I considered using the heavy duty Velcro, but have read a lot of articles complaining the door panels will slip out of place without something to hold them rigid.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
More importantly - where did you get that tonto and lone ranger picture???!!!
That is AWESOME!
It’s actually a litho of a painting titled “They went that a way”, by Cameron Blagg. We picked it up at a regional art show they have in the area once a year. Here’s a picture of it.

It’s a lot of fun to study, having all kind of goofy details included. For example, the name on the fender is Bullet, guns for door handles, rearing horse hood ornament, buffalo on the front fender, arrow feather exhaust pipe, the name on the bike is Scout, name on the front bike tire is iron horse, etc.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
TheDark1
Intentionally Left Blank

Cool, thanks Mark.
2004 Jeep Wrangler (Sold)
2013 Jeep Wrangler (Sold)
2017 Jeep Wrangler (Blacked Out on 35's)
2011 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2015 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2018 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2020 D-Max Dually Denali on 33x12.50's
1979 GMC Short Bed Step-Side 4x4 350/350 Low Miles
TheDark1 is offline   Reply With Quote