The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
vectorit
What?

Garage floor coatings

Currently my garage floor has a coating on it, but the PO of the house kept dogs in there and the urine ate away at the coating. (I know, gross).

Is there a stripping method to get the old off, and surface prepped in a way that a new coating can be applied that will remain durable?

I figured a wire brush would do for the surface stuff, but what about the pores in the concrete? I just want to make sure that the new coating will adhere properly.

These photo's are of the worst area, 99 percent of the rest of the floor is in good shape.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Attached Images

vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
HarrolLS1

Re: Garage floor coatings

You did't say what the "new coating"or the old coating is and I am not sure of the solution but you might try looking in the flooring section on Garage Journal... lots of floor coatings and solutions there.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=20

1968 SWB
1968 SWB 4x4
1969 Suburban
1970 LWB
1970 Blazer
2002 Tahoe
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened
HarrolLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrolLS1 View Post
You did't say what the "new coating"or the old coating is and I am not sure of the solution but you might try looking in the flooring section on Garage Journal... lots of floor coatings and solutions there.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=20
You are right, I didn't.

Mainly because I have no idea what is on there currently, since it was applied by the PO of my house. To me, the paint looks like the stuff a home owner would buy at a place like Lowe's.

The current coating looks to me like a paint, pretty durable paint for that matter. But it is thinner than the really nice coatings I have seen on garage floors.

My current line of thought is to just find similar floor paint from Lowe's, and then just repaint the damaged/repaired areas. Or is this just so far gone, that it would just make this situation worse?

If so, I will just live with it until I can afford a pro to come in and redo the whole garage floor.

Thanks for the link, I will research further on that page.

Last edited by vectorit; 09-14-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
HarrolLS1

I bought the "EpoxyMaster" from Costco. Gray in color and not to Pricey like some of the other floor coatings you will see on Garage Journal. It has been to hot to install... hope to get it done in the next month. Most threads I see on Garage Journal say that preperation is the most important part of the process. Weather you do it yourself or have it done, that forum will help you make the best choice for your situation.

1968 SWB
1968 SWB 4x4
1969 Suburban
1970 LWB
1970 Blazer
2002 Tahoe
Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
pbmagnet

Talking Re: Garage floor coatings

I used to do floor prep for a living. I usually used 12 grit sandpaper and a heavy duty grinder to remove garage floor coatings. If it epoxy based paint it won't be fun. I am in the southern ca area, so if you need more info just pm me and I will be glad to help.

Jeff
pbmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
82GMCShortBed

I've been considering coating my floor with something like UCoat-It but wonder how it holds up to abuse from jackstands and jacks sliding around on it(like scratches, peeling or flaking).

Anybody have any suggestions for a reasonable priced product for a home garage?
82GMCShortBed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
vectorit
What?

The stuff that is on my floor looks like a home owner applied set up.

I can tell it's thin, but it is durable.

I have been working on the floor with jack stands, 3/4 ton brake drums, and heavy floor jacks. I haven't chipped any of this paint or what ever it is off the floor, though it does stain with stuff like brake pad cleaner or carb cleaners.

Since you can see the spots where I sprayed those cleaners on the floor to pull up some tough stuff stuck to the floor, but liquids do not soak into the finish like water base or petroleum based stuff.

That's why I'd be happy with just getting more of the same do it your self stuff in the same color to repair my damage, the floor is really nice and would be happy with just getting this ugly damage fixed.

Personally I really like just getting a bucket of simple green, and mop to wash the floor from all the remnants of a project on my burb. It shines up nice, and it looks pretty darn good.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
HarrolLS1

Here is a link to some info on UCoatit... I've never used it so I can't say personally.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...hlight=ucoatit

1968 SWB
1968 SWB 4x4
1969 Suburban
1970 LWB
1970 Blazer
2002 Tahoe