The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
johnnye23

Vendors

So after owning our 1972 Suburban for over ten years it has finally come time to do some much deserved mods and updates on the truck.
I sat down at the computer and ordered a boatload of new goodies for the truck.It seems like there are many vendors selling the same parts so I picked a vendor that was close to me geographically. I liked their prices and since they were close the shipping should be less and save a little too.
Then I get the phone call the following day , they don't have about 50% of my parts in stock and it will be at least 14 days until they ship. I know in today's economy it costs a lot of money to have parts sitting on a shelf It's just frustrating on the consumers side to want or need something ,then order it then have to wait for the vendor to get the part from their supplier. Okay rant over .The truck is not our daily driver but after seeing and ordering all those new parts I got the FEVER !!! Time for a another cup of coffee.
johnnye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
bigcow94
Snowfighter

Re: Vendors

feel free so send some of those parts my way if you hate waiting. good luck with your burb. don't forget to post some pictures.
bigcow94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

I hear you on this.
I often make multiple shopping lists from various vendors, and each part number I read off to the order taker I ask if it's in stock. If not, I say strike that part from my order. I then shop that part from other vendors.

It is a huge pet peeve of mine, that a seller would send you a catalog of parts but do not keep them in stock. Even worse, if you order it then wait and receive the part only to find out that they ordered it from another vendor and sold it to me with their mark up.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
zac

My peeve is that the quality of so many of the repro parts I have ordered sucks. No other way to put it. There are many exceptions, of course, and some vendors are more selective about what they agree to carry than others, I believe. The result is that I end up trying to locate a serviceable used OEM part before ordering a repro part. But with an old burb there are limits to how far this will get you, of course.....
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Blue Tank

I just ran into that over the summer. I ordered things from one of the bigger southern vendors from their website. After waiting for a week or so for a confirming email i find that the stuff i really wanted is discontinued. I can see that in a printed catalog but the online stuff needs to be maintained better. The season is pretty short up here.
Blue Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
johnnye23

Ya I was just venting to you guys. Just wanting to move forward with the project but the parts are holding me back.I am sure I can find a few things to tinker with until the Fedex guy brings my new loot.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
johnnye23

Still waiting for parts to ship...
Old 10-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
johnnye23

Still waiting for my Tach conversion and new a/c panel . I cant put my truck back together until the instrument panel is back in . Thanks goodness this is not my daily driver .
Old 10-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #9
Blue Tank

If you mean the dash A/C panel there was a guy in the parts for sale section here that had a NOS one.
It must be a problem with China's central government trying to cool their economy off that they can't get the parts.
Blue Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
johnnye23

All the parts finally arrived ! Now the fun begins ...