The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
rjn72

smog removal ?

I am going to remove all of my smog pump system. I have a 87 4x4 dually with a 454 and th400. Are there any sensors that this removal will affect? The truck has no cats and I will plug the holes in the exhaust manifolds. Any other suggestions you guys have would be appreciated
Old 10-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Re: smog removal ?

First, does your state do inspections on vehicles? It would suck to do this and render the truck useless b/c you can't pass inspection.
Second, check the legality of this in your state / county.
Third, there may be vacuum controlled items on the truck you don't want to stop working.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
wyattglock

If you are able to go to all the trouble of plugging the ports in the manifolds, why not just swap them out with headers? My truck has a very similar setup, only the smog system was rendered useless before I bought the truck. Like the previous comment stated, you do need to check with your local and state laws before you do that otherwise you won't have a streetable truck.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

It's as easy as unbolting everything and removing all the unwanted piping and hoses. We welded up the manifolds for a quick fix, but eventually replaced with headers. Just be sure to keep it all, just in case.
Oklahoma does not have smog testing or any sort of safety inspections, so it was a no worry situation for me on my '87.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
rjn72

In Arkansas we don't even know what smog is, lol. We don't do inspections and i am not even sure what a smog pump does other than make whining noises off and on. Are there any options specifically that the smog pump controls. My knowledge of it is that it pumps air, not a vaccuum, am I wrong?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Number21

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyJay View Post
Second, check the legality of this in your state / county.
*Technically* speaking it is illegal everywhere in the united states to remove any emissions equipment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn72 View Post
My knowledge of it is that it pumps air, not a vaccuum, am I wrong?
Pretty much. I've had two trucks that somebody else removed the smog pump from, as far as I know they just ripped it off and plugged the holes. In my '79 they just kinked the air lines in half instead of plugging them.

You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill,
and I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe de Ville.
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My state does not do smog checks. The Government does impose penalties to a commercial shop that is caught removing smog equipment or catalytic converters, but the home mechanic can do what he wants without penalty.

I removed the smog garbage from my truck and my Son's truck and it was just as simple as taking out the connections and installing plugs or putting on headers. I have not seen any adverse problems in well over 12 years of operation without the garbage.

Last edited by piecesparts; 10-24-2010 at 09:02 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
jensenstage1

Sorry to bring back an old thread but, i've recently removed the smog controls from my truck and plugged all the holes except for the exhaust ones due to me buying headers later this week, now my question is, when I fire up the truck, it will idle high then when it drops down to normal idle it just keeps dropping till it dies, and the exhaust smells rich. Do I need to retune the carb after removing emissions or is it just cause my emissions tubes at the exhaust are open?
jensenstage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenstage1 View Post
Sorry to bring back an old thread but, i've recently removed the smog controls from my truck and plugged all the holes except for the exhaust ones due to me buying headers later this week, now my question is, when I fire up the truck, it will idle high then when it drops down to normal idle it just keeps dropping till it dies, and the exhaust smells rich. Do I need to retune the carb after removing emissions or is it just cause my emissions tubes at the exhaust are open?
Did you install an EGR blockoff plate?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
jensenstage1

oooohhh right...... that would've been a (im taking this to work tomorrow to make one) idea and left it unbolted to the manifold..... so lets say i install the block off plate, then would i need to retune the carb? :P Sorry guys, im coming up on inventory at work and its balls to the wall almost 24/7 for me right now
jensenstage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

With no ERG valve on the intake, and no plate you would have one heck of a vacuum leak, and the truck wouldn't run well, if at all. You can make one up pretty easy with they right tools, or buy them pretty cheap. May even find them at a parts store??? Try that and I think your truck will run ok.