The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
TopNotchSWB

Need help with suspension and steering :2WD 1985 SWB

Just got my account validated but I have been lurking on here for a while searching for answers to my problems but to no avail and now that I finally bought an 85 C10 SWB 2wd I got a couple questions.

The truck had horrible suspension done by chopping the springs in the front and they removed leaf springs to drop it in the back. Front suspension I got fixed with 3in lowering springs and adjustable competition engineering shocks and 2 in spindles on the way but for the rear I need help.

Do I need to buy new leaf springs and what kind of kit should I get? I am wanting to fit the biggest tire on the back without tubbing it on a 15x10 rim. I am thinking like a 5/6 or 5/7 drop or something like that. The truck will be used as a bracket truck / cruiser and is going to get a blow through set up on it by the summer but for now the centerbolt cammed out 355 will do for now to move it around.

One other thing, the steering has CRAZY play I mean I feel like I am driving a boat or something and it is not safe! I am going to try and adjust the steering box and then its off to get all new bushings, pitman arms, inner outter tie rods, etc etc etc. But someone told me about some kind of bracket that holds the steering box in place and its missing on my truck, none the less I will post up pics later tonight and you all tell me what you think? I really appreciate the help and can't wait to get this truck on the road terrorizing the streets.
TopNotchSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
benoit454
Chris

Re: Need help with suspension and steering :2WD 1985 SWB

never heard of a bracket that holds on the steering box, it bolts directly to the frame, and that area is bad for cracking. We just bought 3 ball joints(4th in the new control arm we bought) 4 tie rods, an idler arm, for $85 shipped, you could add a pitman arm for about 95 more total and the adjuster sleeves were cheap too. We got it all from rockauto.com realy cheap on the parts and fast shiopping we had it in 2 days, they even sent four left tie rods, or I should say four inners and we called them up because it was supposed to be 2 inner and 2 outer, they sent us 2 outers for free and told us to keep the other 2 inners and dipose of as we saw fit.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
TopNotchSWB

Thanks bro I appreciate the reply and info.

How big I can go on the rear tire set up with a 15x10 rim without having to tub the rear? I am willing to roll the fenders but no tub on this truck. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction with a link or something.

And what is a good flip or drop kit for the back so that I don't have to notch the frame?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Try this site to get some ideas....to convert width of tires take the first number (eg. 295 whicxh is the width of the tire in millimetres) and divide it by 25.4 to get the measurement of the tire width in inches.

That's how (edit: made sure the ones suggested to me would fit my space, which they will for sure!) last week before I ordered.

http://www.tirerack.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopNotchSWB View Post
Thanks bro I appreciate the reply and info.

How big I can go on the rear tire set up with a 15x10 rim without having to tub the rear? I am willing to roll the fenders but no tub on this truck. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction with a link or something.

And what is a good flip or drop kit for the back so that I don't have to notch the frame?

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969

Last edited by Gordonr1973; 11-15-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
benoit454
Chris

sorry man I aint no help on tires, but IMO you want a 295 or wider, maybe 315 or 325 or whatever to fit the 10 inch wide wheel, but as for height not sure, maybe a 50 since it's more low pro sidewall and not as tall. From what I've seen you can do a flip kit and not notch, but if you have anything kinda heavy it might hit. You do have to remove the bumpstop though. If not then a hanger and shackle kit, it'll get ya about 4 inches.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
TopNotchSWB

Thanks once again for the info guys. I am not going to carry anything in the back of this truck, it will have the fuel cell mounted in the bed or under (haven't decided yet) if it is mounted under the bed then the only thing it will carry is a sports bike if anything at all. I think I will be going with a flip kit then. Probably a 7inch drop.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Your max width will be controlled by your desire to maintain a 10" wheel width. You can squeeze a 315 on a 10" wheel buts that about the limit. If you decide to tub it, you can run an 18.50 M/T with stock frame rails but you will need a 12+ wide wheel.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-15-2010 at 12:12 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
TopNotchSWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Your max width will be controlled by your desire to maintain a 10" wheel width. You can squeeze a 315 on a 10" wheel buts that about the limit. If you decide to tub it, you can run an 18.50 M/T with stock frame rails but you will need a 12+ wide wheel.
Awesome bro thanks. What kind of backspacing would that require?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
Acrophobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Is there a build thread on this truck? Would love to see more of that rear suspension set up.
Acrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote