The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
BowTieMan

Something shorted out when I went to start my truck.....

....and now I need some help to figure this out. I went to start it and it sounded like the battery was low and it wasn't wanting to fully crank over. Then I noticed some smoke under the hood and when I poped it I saw that a small 14 gauge or so wire that ran from the negative battery post to the core support had burnt up. From that same spot on the core support is another small wire that connects to the frame and it didn't burn at all. My negative cable is attached to the alternator bracket with a normal large cable (6 gauge or so) and there is another larger (again I think 6 gauge) wire that goes from the block to the frame in another spot. My question is why do I need these extra smaller wires that go to the body? And more important why did just that one burn? I am assuming there is a short in the starter but never ran into this so I could use some help or advice to trouble shoot this.

BTW its on an 85 C/10 with a 350 if that matters at all.
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Last edited by BowTieMan; 11-15-2010 at 11:22 PM.
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Something shorted out when I went to start my truck.....

clean up all your grounds one is not making good contact..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
rjn72

Sounds like the starter is hung up. The smaller wires are body grounds and yes you do need them. They make the lights and such work. If the starter is hung up, to much power goes through the wire with no were to go and the wire gets hot. Small wire = weak link. Replace the wire, check the starter. Try again.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
BowTieMan

Ya that's what I figured, the problem is in the starter and its just going to the weakest link. We put a jumper wire off the battery to a ground and it was fine with the key in the on position but once I went to start it the wire started to coil up right away. I am working from dark morning till dark night all week lol so Its gonna wait till the weekend to get looked at.
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

You've probably got a bad battery ground cable. There's a bunch of resistance in it for whatever reason, electricity follows the path of least resistance (which was that little wire to the core support), it couldn't handle the current and burned up. Same thing happened to mine a couple winters ago, put a new ground cable from the battery to the motor and been fine since.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote