The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2002, 09:50 PM   #1
hinz57

Post 1985 305 emissions control

Hi,
Anybody here ever use a #1400 Edelbrock? I am thinking of simplifing the emissions system on an 85 305, GMC 1500, ie:emissionectomy. Any comments? EGR, AIR etc. TIA hinz57
hinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 07:12 AM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

hinz57,

I would recommend the #1406. I have one on my 305. Emmissions is based on where you live. If you don't have any emmission testing I would get rid of all the equiptment. The carbs look very nice. See my installation http://www.geocities.com/abetterchemist/hood.html

If you have a stock intake you will need a spacer/adapting plate. I would recommend a four swirl hole 1 inch adapting plate. The four hole swirl adaptor will help increase low end torque. You will also need an EGR valve extendor. The factory EGR valve is too close to the carb. The square bore carb will not bolt up unless you move the EGR valve with an adaptor. What type of transmission are you using? The TV cable for a 700R4/350TH will not align up properly. You can use the factory bracket but I recommend a new bracket to properly align the throttle cable and the TV cable. Since you want to change the carb why not change the intake too. The Edelbrock dual planes start at about $119.00 for an emmissions type.

------------------
Gerardo
1983 Custom Truck
TX Plates: "BAD BOW"
http://www.geocities.com/abetterchemist/
Old 01-25-2002, 09:04 PM   #3
hinz57

gchemist,

Thanks for the info. Your truck looks great. I live in Kansas, no testing currently. The reason I thought about the 1400 was that you can still use the vapor canisters. I would like to delete the AIR which is stuck, belt gone. Also the EGR needs to go. I kind of like the heat riser and the intake heated air, and the fuel vapor can. At least as an idea. Do these systems need to be there? Can they be used with the 1406? I found one reference in the Edelbrock catalog that the vapor canister fitting is only on the 1400. Another idea is to use the Edelbrock Q-Jet replacement. More of a direct fit with stock equipment I think. Any opionions? Someone told me I would have very bad pinging problems with any change because of the head design of a 305, with these changes. Sounds fishy to me. They claimed that I would have to change distributors as well. Mine has vacumn advance which I believe is the correct one to use in these modified applications. Any comments? Part of me wants to get the 2101 Performer manifold and 1406 carb and remove all the extra stuff to make it more like my 69 C-20 w/350. No extras, very simple to work on. I'm just not sure about removing All the emissions controls. I guess all the street rodders do it.

I have a Turbo 350, it was ordered that way. Where do you get the new tv cable bracket needed? Is it an Edelbrock accessory? Will my cruise control work with the 1406?

Many questions. Thanks for your time.
hinz57
hinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 12:03 PM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Talking

hinz57,

The kickdown bracket is available from Edelbrock. They have a chrome and non chrome version. The bracket bolts to the intake itself onto the head. Read this post from another web site. It explains the problem with the kick down cable. http://forums.chevytalk.com/forums/F...ML/002569.html
yes your cruise control will work with the bracket. You just need three connecations to keep it.

As for the carb, the Edlebrock Q-jet is an excellent replacement. Tuning one can be a headach if you're not handy on tuning a carb. That is one reason I chose the #1406. Less hassel to tune. I did have a problem with my 305 pinging but an adjustment on the timing solved the problem. My 305 also requires the idle advance. This advance is done by connecting the HEI advance line to the lower vaccuum port. If I remember correctly is the one driver side.

------------------
Gerardo
1983 Custom Truck
TX Plates: "BAD BOW"
http://www.geocities.com/abetterchemist/