The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2003, 08:50 AM   #1
Ryan Flowers
No Brakes Club

Question I need help for 1/2 Ton to 3/4 Ton

Help Please,

I bought some 3/4 Ton Axles to go under my 90 GMC 1/2 Ton 4x4 Suburban. I got a real good deal on them ($500 for both with 4:10 Ratio). I have a few questions:
  • Has anyone done this?
  • Should I order a lift for 1/2 or 3/4 Ton?(I'm going with 10" springs, front & rear)
  • I know I need to do a steering cross over but is there anything else or other modifications I need to do?
  • Any advice that might help?

Thanks,

01 Chevy Suburban 2x4 350
Click here to email me
Click here to visit my web site
Ryan Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:16 PM   #2
TX_Mudder

I haven't specifically put 3/4 ton axles under a 90 burb.
Yes it can be done.

I didn't know they made springs with a 3/4 ton rating in a 10" lift. Regardless, your burb is only 1/2 ton and I'd buy the 1/2 ton rating.

Crossover steering will definetely help to retain most of your stock truck steering. Have you looked into it for a balljoint axle? The biggest PITA is finding a set of flat top knuckles to have the machine shop machine so you can put a steering arm on the passenger side. Check out offroaddesign.com

Advice...
Ok, make sure you REALLY want 10" springs. The big huge lift with tires sitting far away from the fenders look is out like chrome and show bars. If you are building a mud truck only, then it may be OK since you'll be keeping the body further away, but I still don't like it - I hope if you do go ahead and do it that in 2 years you still like it, but I'm not sure that you will.

You do realize you'll need new driveshafts front and rear? And the front isn't going to be happy with that much lift.
Anyway, good luck!
My best recommendation would be to reconsider the lift height and maybe go with a 6".
-- Mike

Last edited by TX_Mudder; 03-05-2003 at 12:18 PM.
TX_Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 02:41 PM   #3
blazerboy72

what size tires are ou putting on it? and you need to use 1/2 ton springs but get the 3/4 ton u bolts when you order it. I just order my 8" kit for my blazer i am making 3/4 ton.
blazerboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:13 PM   #4
orionwy2002

lift

I put 3/4 ton axles under my K10. My advice on the mods is:

When you order your lft kit make sure to tell whoever is taking your order that the lift is for a Sub and not a pickup. The rear springs will be different for a sub than a pickup due to the extra weight of the body. I think the only difference between 1/2 and 3/4 ton lift kits is the size of the U-bolts.

You might want to investigate doing a shackle flip in the rear. Look around at ColoradoK5.com . A shackle flip in the rear will let you run springs with less arch which will improve ride and save some $$$.

If you really want a 10" lift, buy good springs for the front with lots of leaves so it rides better. The thinner the leaves and the more of them the better it will flex and ride.

A 10" lift will also require new driveshafts. The front shaft will have really crappy angles unless you rotate the front axle. BUT rotating the front axle will kill your ?caster? angles. Not sure if that is the right term, but something in the steering will get messed up if you rotate the axle for better drive shaft angles.

A crossover setup will not solve these driveshaft issues. Crossover steering will help bumpsteer though. Like TX mudder said, it is a pain to get flat top knuckles for a dana44 and get them machined for a steering arm. If you do a crossover you must change both knuckles on the d44.

Also, with a 10" lift you will need to do something about your swaybar in the front. You can add disconnects which will raise the swaybar mounts on the U-bolt plates or lower the mounts on the frame, or do like me and remove the swaybar completely. I don't notice tje difference any more. And it rides a lot smoothe.

And don't forget longer brake lines. Cheesy brackets that come with some kits wont cut it on a 10"lift. Ypo will need longer lines.

That is all I can think of for now. This is kinda long and I'm not trying to turn you away from a lift, but you should know what it takes to do it right. Good Luck!!!

80K10Scottsdale 350/th350/205 d44/14bff locked 35's
97 blazer 4x4 daily driver
orionwy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 10:01 PM   #5
jerry moss
Born Psycho

you can have your front axle housing cut and the pinion rotated upward to help with driveline angle. there are also some new u-joints available called Cornay CV Joint that are designed to run at nasty angles- up to 30 degrees.
one other thing to check on, you don't have your location listed, but most states now have some sort of height law, be it frame height or bumper height or headlight height. in calif it's frame height and it depends on the g.v.w. of the vehicle. even though you're putting in 3/4 ton axles your truck is still classified as a 1/2 ton on your title.
just a couple things to consider before a big lift.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote