The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
MalibuSSwagon

1996 NV3500 5 speed

So my gf and I have been looking for a 4 or 5 speed trans for her 80 Z28, of course I have found a few V8 T5's from 80's camaros but the price is too high for what could easily be a broken box.

Then I found a guy parting out a 96 S10 4.3, he is selling the 5 speed for 75 bucks. The 4.3L is 285ft lbs factory, and V8 S10 guys are using these units with no problems. Should be good enough for our 3.8L V6 turbo engine.

My only hangup is going to be if these trans have an electronic speedo output only, if there is no mechanical speedo output this option is kaput. Can someone confirm or deny this?
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
raycow

Re: 1996 NV3500 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
My only hangup is going to be if these trans have an electronic speedo output only, if there is no mechanical speedo output this option is kaput. Can someone confirm or deny this?
That's an awfully tempting price if the box is in good shape. I don't think you will find a better deal anywhere.

Unfortunately, all the NV3500s I have looked at had an electric speedo drive. You are probably already aware of the fixes for this: Either run a Cable-X (about $300) or install an aftermarket electric speedo for a lot less, if you don't mind the non-stock appearance.

Ray
Old 11-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
MalibuSSwagon

Re: 1996 NV3500 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
That's an awfully tempting price if the box is in good shape. I don't think you will find a better deal anywhere.

Unfortunately, all the NV3500s I have looked at had an electric speedo drive. You are probably already aware of the fixes for this: Either run a Cable-X (about $300) or install an aftermarket electric speedo for a lot less, if you don't mind the non-stock appearance.

Ray
Bummer dude. Well the guy emailed me back today, its a 4cyl trans, so it wouldn't even bolt up. Thanks for your help.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote