The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
mdemco

Need a small rocker section

The only rust all the way through on my 71 is under the passenger door, about a 12" long strip. Where do you guys source repair kits form the rockers?

Also on my quarters right behind the tires I have surface rust, it may be through the first layer, are there small patch panels made for these sections? I will get some pics up in the morning light.
mdemco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Need a small rocker section

odds are, once you started cutting your rocker, you'll discover it is junk. However, assuming you discover an actual good rocker on there, and you just want to splice in a patch, I've heard of guys just buying a whole rocker (they are stupid cheap in reality) and cutting it up.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
mdemco

I figure the whole rocker needs changed, where can I source one from?
mdemco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
zac

I have not done rocker repair yet (that was this winter's project until my engine died), but I believe they are widely variable in quality. I may be wrong, but I believe the original sheet metal was in the neighborhood of 19 gauge. The real cheapo patches can run 23 gauge, you might as well rivet in a Budweiser can. Do some calling and checking, the guys here should know who has the good ones. On some occasions you may be stuck with whatever is available, even if it is imported from some country that doesn't exist anymore. But for very common patches like 67-72 rockers, high-quality ones should be available. I'm going to order mine from GMCPauls, I have dealt with them some and they convinced me they are picky about the patch panels they carry.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

i'm sure there is a thread or five in the autobody section that lists who sells what in the quality department
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote