The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
Project77

Stereo help

okay friday i am going to look at getting a stereo for my truck its a 77 chevy silverado. i already know of a few things that i need but dont know if its everything i have to get all new wiring because the guy that had it before me had removed everything that was hooked up to the radio

the stuff i know i need is:
speakers
subs
amp
stereo
stereo installation kit

but what about rewiring?
do they have rewiring kits? if so, where?
Project77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: Stereo help

Truck" Audio some good help there for Audio
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
sixshooter798
Desert Rat

If there is nothing there for the stereo, you will need to re-wire it yourself. It seems like a big deal, but it really isn't. The factory harness coming out of the aftermarket stereo will likely be labeled, so you can use it as a guide to determine how to wire it all up. Of course, you will probably be able to skip things like "power antenna".
I don't know if a complete wiring kit exists, but I know it would be cheaper to buy speaker wire and do it yourself.

Good luck!
sixshooter798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
oldblue72c10
LIGHT' EM UP!!!!!!!!!!

Its really easy all you need is a ground (black wire) a positive from the fuse panel (red wire) and a antenna. And then hook up your speakers. The yellow wire can go to your ignition but if your not worried about presets just tie it into the positive (red wire). Just pm me for ore help.

BONDO IS YOUR FRIEND WOULD YOU EVER USE YOUR FRIEND

1972 custom 10 longbed
current 360 building a racing 355
oldblue72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

IF you are going to install amps and a subwoofer, then I recommend going with a large gauge wire (with a heavy duty fuse inline before the entry point on the firewall) from the battery to the inside of the cab and then use a fuse block to seperate the wiring out for the amplifiers. That way you are running a full 12 volts to the amps and not off of your factory fuse block in the cab. The radio can be powered from the fuse block but the power needs to be "Clean" for the amps. The blue or blue and white striped wire will be the "Trigger" wire for the amps to turn on. It will be marked on the radio schematics. If they are of a good quaity the amps will have a connection for the trigger, power and ground wires. The yellow wire on the radio will need to go to a constant 12 volt source (Not switched on and off) to control the memory in the radio.