The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
zac

Mild cam for my '70 burb

OK, this isn't very exciting, but it's the middle of winter, so what the hey. I'm building a new 350 for my '70 K10, the block is on the stand, I'm sorting through the crank/rod options I have. This will be a basically stock rebuild. The heads are still at the machine shop, so I'm waiting on final word there, but they might be the only thing a little warmer than stock. A little. My truck has a a 465/205 combo and 3.08's with 31x10.50 tires. We use it mostly on the highway as a family driver, it tows nothing heavier than a fishing boat. I've had pretty good mileage even with a terrible engine, so I'm hoping for even better with a new one, especially with $3+ gas. I've looked at the High Energy series from Comp Cams, wondering if anybody has any recent experience or ideas with what I should look at, or not look at. I haven't bought a new cam since I had a mullet hairstyle like all self respecting kids. Hydraulic flat tappet cams are not all the rage now, are they?

I know about the Engine/Drivetrain board but like the more relaxed atmosphere here.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Average Joe

Re: Mild cam for my '70 burb

With your gears and tire size I would definitely keep your duration on the shorter side. The Edelbrock Performer cam would be a good choice for a stock rebuild. If memory serves its like 204 intake and 214 exhaust @ .050 Duration. Lift is like .420 and .443. Speed Pro sells a similar grind for less money. I used that in a 69 chevelle daily driver once and was pleased. I've had good luck with the Comp High Energy line as well. I would keep duration under 218 if you want to retain any gas mileage. Remember to use a break in addative and consider supplamenting your oil changes with a zinc addative.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

I'm a big fan of the CompCams 268 camshaft grind, and is easy/affordable to get a full kit from CompCams (springs, retainers, push rods, and lifters).

Currently my 68 K20 burb with 327, SM465, T221, 4.56 gears, and 33" tall BFG's, I run the old Erson TQ20 cam shaft that I installed back in the mid 90's. Absolutely love this cam shaft, and how it works with the combo above.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
capev86

i want to run an RV grind full roller valve train in the 406sbc going in my 72 burb c20. good throttle response, torque and plenty of vacuum for power brakes. i usually just tool around in my truck and occasionally tow things so i like efficiency over sportiness (although that big small block is fun).
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
zac

Unfortunately the full roller set-up is not in the budget for this truck. It's more of a resto anyway. I'm VERY SLOWLY moving towards a roller-cammed Vortec 383 for my '79 K20. I've been reading good things about the Performer cams, apparently Summit makes some knockoffs. The SUM K1102 was one I've seen mentioned. I'm going to try and download the software from the Comp Cams website and see what it says. The point about zinc additive is well taken. I have no idea what oil I will run yet. I'd rather run Dino oil but it appears all the high-ZDDP oils are synthetic, so I'll probably go that way. I think Average Joe's ideas are on the money. This weekend I found that last cam I ever bought ('89!) on a shelf in my shop. It's a Crower 250-HDP, advertised duration of 250 with actual at .050 in the high 190's. I remember being very happy with it's peformance.

Last edited by zac; 01-10-2011 at 02:59 PM.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote