The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
coyote72

My Monster problem

I have a brand new monster 700r4 trans in my '72 Blazer. Dealing with the guys at monster was great before the sale and when I called with a few questions during the install, they were helpful. Once the TV cable was dialed in I was extreemly happy, except with the WOT shift points. They told me I could 'shave' some weight off the governor and try that. I decided to see how it towed our travel trailer before I changed the governor, and thats where the problem started. I started to smell trans fluid on the freeway and soon enough I saw smoke. Upon pulling over I could see fluid was comming out of the vent on top. The trans was not over full, even when hot, but I thought the added load of the trailer made it hot enough, so I drained about a quarter of a quart and got back on the road. about another 30 miles and the grade steepened and smoke again, so I pulled over and heard what seemed to be fluid boiling in the pan. I turned around and headed down the hill and camped close by for the weekend. Driving home after the weekend the trans functioned fine, though it was down hill all the way home. After waiting a week for a call back, or and email response, I finally got through to someone. They told me that it is "normal for fluid to spew out of the vent when towing, and to pull over and let it cool off after a while". Are you kidding me?! He told me to recheck fluid level and keep on driving. I went to a local trans shop, they said to pull the pan and see what it looked like. When I did there was metal shavings and the filter was not plugged in. The fluid smelled burnt and looked metallic. The local trans shop said that even if I had the TV cable wrong, there would not be metal in the pan, and that this is the 4th monster trans they have seen like this! I can understand a possible trans failure, but a BS response from there tech dept. is unacceptable. Any suggestions ?

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
coyote72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
coyote72

Re: My Monster problem

Just thought I would add that my TH350 had zero probs and I retained the same aux. cooler. Also I used a carb from a factory 700r4 truck, the geometry for the TV was dead on. Thanks for any help!

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
cableguy0

Were you in Overdrive while towing? 700r4's are notoriously weak regardless of whos name is on them. Especially when towing and you were towing in mountains which is even worse. Not defending monster by any means but you likely overworked the transmission and killed it. 700r4's will not handle that kind of driving for long.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
geezer#99

Did you have a big aux cooler added or not. Need it pulling a trailer.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
coyote72

I was in 3rd gear, I wouldn't have the horse power for od anyways. I do also have a big aux cooler.

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
Old 01-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
coyote72

Here are some pics when I pulled the pan
Attached Images

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Transbuilderguy

i have seen 3 fugged up monster trans on myh bench in the past 3 yrs. the ones that i seen looked like junkyard transmissions with a new band and and a set of 3-4 clutches. have fun wit hthem with warranty

Last edited by Transbuilderguy; 01-31-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Transbuilderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
cableguy0

Its trashed. You can forget about doing anything other than yanking that transmission out and having it rebuilt.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
babylonflyer

??? monster???
babylonflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
coyote72

Monster Transmissions and Performance
www.eatmyshift.com

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
Old 02-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

he he he this is funny
if not satisfied return unused product ......

Quote off their website

You Will Be Satisfied with Your Purchase

Shop with the comfort of knowing that your order is backed by a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
If you're not satisfied, neither are we. If for any reason you're not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return the un-used product within 30 days of the purchase date to our facility, along with your receipt, and all original packaging for your choice of a product exchange or your money back less a 25% restocking fee and return shipping.

100% bs

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
1968SWBBigBlock

Seems to happen a little to often with Monster
I agree with the above statement the T700 was never a great towing transmission
The 3-4 clutch packs are narrower than the 1-2 clutch packs so they can not handle the stress of the heavy load.
Did your local tranny guy have any answer as to why the fluid was spewing out of the
top.
I would think overfull which you checked - or over pressure in the case which would indicate an incorrect build.
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
shortbed70

Quote, unused product!!! Wth? Why would I be unsatisfied with a trans I've never used that's "brand new" note to self do not buy monster trans...Sorry about your luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
he he he this is funny
if not satisfied return unused product ......

Quote off their website

You Will Be Satisfied with Your Purchase

Shop with the comfort of knowing that your order is backed by a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
If you're not satisfied, neither are we. If for any reason you're not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return the un-used product within 30 days of the purchase date to our facility, along with your receipt, and all original packaging for your choice of a product exchange or your money back less a 25% restocking fee and return shipping.

100% bs
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
coyote72

It has been pretty disappointing dealing with this issue so far. Maybe I should remind them about their claim of "100% satasfaction guarantee". Right now I would just be happy with a response.

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
cableguy0

Your probably beat. More than likely they will ignore you. Post your bad experience anywhere you can think of. Keep emailing them links to you bashing the hell out of them.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
Transbuilderguy

I had a freind down here in fl who got one of thier trans it was supposed to be a race trans it lasted about 2 months behind a stockish lt1. when it was taken apart nothing of what they said was in the trans was in it. it was IMO a stock junkyard core with a new set of clutches. that whole group is part of the maddog, goodfellas, etc gang they have been under so many name sits hard to determine who they are anymore. they build these ragged transmissions give crazy warranties on them and then go out of business and then reopen under a new name to avoid lawsuits and warranty claims. Sorry to hear what you are going through my freind from what I know was taking them to court. they have been known to wiggle thier way out of warranty.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
babylonflyer

eek .... yup i see many trans being pawned off as rebuilt but only the quick fix then painted and sold ..**** i guess cali rebuilds are spreading
babylonflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
1968SWBBigBlock

I would encourage you to do the following
1 - contact the police in the town they are located in. Brooksville FL is not that big they likely know the business owner by name Ask them if they have any statues or laws that may have been broken (theft by deception comes to mind)
Likely they can not do anything for you - BUT - they can guide you towards those that can.
2 - File with the BBB
Below is a copy of their BBB report which is not bad for the number of complaints I have seen.
Business Contact and Profile for Avalanche Corporation
Name: Avalanche Corporation
Phone: (352) 683-8384
Fax: (352) 345-4835
Address: 19370 Oliver St

Brooksville, FL 34601-5532
Original Business Start Date: January 2003
Principal: Mr. Achilles J. Thomas, President
Customer Contact: Mr. Achilles J. Thomas, President - (352) 683-8384
Type of Business: Transmission (Truck, Tractor, Etc) Companies
BBB Accreditation: Avalanche Corporation is not a BBB Accredited business.
Additional DBA Names: Monster Motorsports
Monster Transmission
Monster Transmission & Performance

Products and Services of Avalanche Corporation
This company offers sales, installation, building, and modification of transmissions, as well as assists people in installing rear wheel drive automatic transmissions.

Additional Locations and Phone Numbers
Additional Phone Numbers
Tel: (800) 708-0087

Customer Complaint History for Avalanche Corporation
When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.
BBB processed a total of 1 complaint about Avalanche Corporation in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 1 complaint closed in 36 months, 1 was closed in the last year.
Product Issues
Resolved
1 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to BBB.

Let Monster know you have contacted the local authorties, the BBB and you intend to seek reinstitution.

Get your ducks in a row - write everything down before you call, make sure you have copies of ads, warranties, receipts - any emails or contact information.
You will need it all to tie them to the ground
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #19
Psycho71

Also, I'd send a message to power block tv, tell them I saw their episode using the "Monster in a Box", and decided to buy their product based on the show's recommendation. All BS of course. But hitting Monster's advertisers might have an effect. And of course, copy the letter and send it to Monster as well as all the links to the bashing threads on forums you start.

I would not let something like this rest. I would go ahead and get a good transmission in my truck, but would make it my life's mission to be the rock in Monster's shoe til they made it right.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
coyote72

Thanks for the responses, I really hope it dosen't get to the cut throat stuff. I guess its better to be prepared than not. I am still awaiting a response from Monster, I had sent them the above pics and have not yet heard back. A friend of mine said to check out the ATRA and see if there is any leverage there.

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #21
coyote72

I finally spoke with Monster today. Based on the pictures and what happened they are going to warrantee it. I have to pay to ship it there, then they will inspect and rebuild. Depending on what caused the failure I may have to come up with some money if it is deemed 'installer error" and possibly to ship it back. I am glad I got a resonable response and will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help!

Here goes round two!
Attached Images

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
Old 02-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #22
Transbuilderguy

I will put 10 dollars on it that it is deemed some kind of installer error any takers
Old 02-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #23
cableguy0

I would almost bet a paycheck your going to get blamed. They are either going to tell you that you didnt properly flush your tranny lines and cooler or that the tv cable wasnt set properly. I wouldnt plan too much on them eating the cost of the transmission. Your likely going to pay shipping both ways then get a bill for a rebuild.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #24
Transbuilderguy

from the fine shavings i see suspended in the fluid in the pics it was a overheating issue which caused a interfrerence in the pump clearnce and shaved the inside of the pump up. as to what casued the overheating is yet to be determined. could be clogged cooler lines, debris in cooler, slipping, converter issues. however this is not the first monster build I have seen like this. did you flush the cooler when you installed or did you put a new cooler in.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #25
cableguy0

The only odd thing is that the fluid isnt cooked. Im gonna guess that tiny ass stock lockup clutch in the converter cooked and it was downhill from there. The 700r4 is a bad choice to tow with but I doubt you broke it that fast. A problem that pops up that quick and isnt a broken hard part is usually a build problem. If the pump is chewed up they are probably going to say the converter wasnt seated. Im a bit of a pessimist but thats because most of these situations turn out in the customer getting blamed for something that isnt there fault.The worse part is if they tell you they arent going to warranty the unit you dont even have a core left to have someone decent rebuild it.