The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
rjn72

Alternator question

I have an 87 v30 with a 454 tbi. My problem is when the truck is idleing at a stop in the yard with nothing on it does fine. I turn on the lights and put it in gear and take off down the road, still fine. I come to a stop sign, not fine anymore. The lights dim, the alt gauge drops from about 15 to about 10.5 - 11, and a belt starts squeling like crazy. I think the alternator belt. When I leave the stop sign the volts on the alternator won't come back up and the lights won't brighten up unless I stop and turn the lights off and let it run in park for about 1 - 2 minutes. I can speed up the process if I turn off the heater and radio also. The truck has 22 lights that come on when the light switch is turned on, not counting interior lights, so I know they draw quite a bit. I think it is probably an alternator that is not putting out enough, however I am not positive. Has anyone else here had a similar problem that they could have another idea or second mine if you think a bigger alternator would fix the problem. Thanks in advance for all the advice.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
qu1cks1lver56

Re: Alternator question

sounds like you need a new alternator.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
sailed2japan
Jonny

try spraying some belt dressing on the alternator belt, if that doesn't work, it may be time for a new belt. If the belt that is on there now looks well worn I would try a new belt before I put on a new alternator.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR

Last edited by sailed2japan; 02-12-2011 at 11:21 PM.
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
wyattglock

While you have the belt off, spin the alternator slowly and feel if it is grinding. If so, not matter what the output says, replace it. Mine was putting out 14.5 volts at idle, and when I took it off the truck I have never felt and alternator grind so bad! It sounded and felt like sand was in the bearing race. If it feels fine and the belt is good, test it with a multimeter. You can check across the battery while it is idling. You should be getting 14.4 volts roughly, if not it is in need of replacing. Shut the truck off and check the battery also, you should get 12 volts, plus or minus about 1 volt. Any more than that and I would replace the battery also.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
glhman222

this sounds normal, when the alternator slows down it cannot provide enough power to run all these things at once, so the battery helps in and thus the lights dim because the battery is like 12.6v while the alt when running can produce as high as 15v normally, if this still bothers you try finding a smaller diameter alternator pulley to swap on there
Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id have the alternator bench tested including the internal regulator

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote