The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2002, 06:01 PM   #1
worldofme

Post starter bolt

I've been so lucky to have one of the bolts that holds my starter in to snap off. My question is, how easy is it to remove a broken bolt? I'm thinking I can just drill a hole in the center of the bolt, insert another screw/bolt into the drilled out hole and screw it back out. If this isn't correct please let me know. I refuse to put down a bunch of money to have a professional do it when my truck isn't worth a whole lot to begin with.

by the way, this is for a '77 Chevy Blazer 4x4.
Thanks for the help.
worldofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 07:16 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

worldofme,

How far out is the bolt broken? If its flush or less drilling is probably the best way to go. If the bolt is sticking out then I would weld a nut on it and screw the bolt out. I've never done a starter bolt so I'm sure its not going be fun.

------------------
Gerardo
1983 Custom Truck
TX Plates: "BAD BOW"
Old 04-14-2002, 10:16 PM   #3
worldofme

the bolt broke off right below the surface I'm going to have to drill it. I went out and bought a bolt extracting kit so I should be good to go.
worldofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:30 PM   #4
Desert Rat

Hey i had both shear off when i was in a bad neighborhood and no cash,really sucked.Every since then i make sure to avoid the situation and have that $5 front starter brace bolted to the block.My starter bolts were drilled and easy-outted but my maintinence man stepdad came up and rescued me,Hes a supervisor in maintinence at a lead plant so hes good at riggin up stuff.I had no electricity or nothing where i was and i wasnt gonna be the only whit guy in the neighbor hood knocking on a door and asking if i could plug in my extension cord in their house-most probably didnt have electricity anyway!!!!!
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 03:11 PM   #5
steelsoldiers

Exclamation

Drill and extract is about the only way to go, but make sure you buy a high-$$ extractor. I had a starter bolt snap off, so I drilled it and then used an extractor. I thought the bolt was starting to break free, but it was only the extractor twisting in half. I had to use a bunch of diamond tipped burs to get a hole started in the extractor and then drilled beside it until I could get another more $$ extractor to bite and get the bolt out. It sucked real bad so be careful. Good luck.
Sincerely,
Chris

------------------
webmaster, www.steelsoldiers.com

1984 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer w/ 6.2L diesel (maybe a Caddy 500 soon) and a 1970 M35A2 2.5-ton 6x6 cargo truck w/ 478ci multi-fuel straight-six engine. Both in desert tan CARC paint from Operation Desert Storm.

1984 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer w/ Caddy 500 big-block and a 1970 M35A2 2.5-ton 6x6 cargo truck w/ 478ci multi-fuel straight-six engine. Both in desert tan CARC paint from Operation Desert Storm.

steelsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 04:32 PM   #6
powermad
Hillbilly Hotrod

I use a left hand drill bit and usualy it will bite and back the bolt out.
If not then a GOOD easy out is needed.
I have a Snap-on set that will take alot of twisting. These are a straight design not tapered. This set also came with drill pilots so the hole is centered.
If you do use a tapered ez out be careful, as stated above they will break real easy and then you are in for a good time.
If the bolt does not move with a little force applied then stop.
It does not take much for them to snap off in the hole.

------------------
78 K5 on 3/4 ton axles.