The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
jocko

i'm moving to the desert... so, back to an a/c question

Interested in your opinions out there - and we've discussed some of the options for a/c install before - but my question is geared primarily toward the interior set up.

While I like "stock" or at least stock-looking a/c vent and knob set-ups, when I look at the stock 66 chev set-up, it does kinda protrude out into the interior a bit - so I asked my self (I said, "self...") do I really like the stock look just because in the back of my mind I know it's stock? I kinda said yes.

In other words, I've seen a few folks do custom set-ups for their dash louvers, etc.

I'll probably be buying a vintage air or old air set-up for the working parts, but when it comes to how the interior will look, I essentially have these options for the interior:

1. Use the plastic louvers in the kit
2. hook the new system to the stock a/c vents (when I find some - there are some on ebay right now, by the way)
3. install a custom looking (yet-stock appearing) setup.

I'm kinda leaning toward #3, but the idea of cutting any "new" holes in my dash makes me cringe...

While I know the basic answer is "it's your truck, do what you want!" - I am interested in your thoughts since you all know and appreciate these trucks much more than the average joe that happens to be in my passenger seat.

This first picture is what I'm thinking of doing - the 2.5" outer louvers are only $14.95 and could easily be plumbed from a stock kit with a little extra piping. To me, it preserves the clean look of the original non-a/c dash (i.e. I'm starting to think that the factory a/c dash is a bit cluttered in the center - maybe just my imagination, but I like my current, clean dash with minimal switches, etc....)

The next 2 pics are of the stock set-up and the final is a typical kit set-up.

I saw an interesting thread on here about "hideaway" vents that rotated out of the way, and that would be a consideration, but I'm not sure I want to do that either. Anyhoo, thanks in advance for your 2 cents!
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 02-19-2011 at 12:43 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
Slow Build

Re: i'm moving to the desert... so, back to an a/c question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
2. hook the new system to the stock a/c vents (when I find some - there are some on ebay right now, by the way)
If so they are very well hidden.

I think a combo of the top two pictures would be cool. Both of them being 3 spoke design works for me. I like stuff that people have to question themselves, "Is that stock ? Looks stock".
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
blown240

where in the desert are you moving to?
blown240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
darkhorse970

Does anyone know where I can get some vents like the first pic in this thread?

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Rich 5150 69

Here ya go guys, I know several people that used used the smaller rectangle units vertically they seem to fit the truck better, but its all your own opinion.

http://www.yogisinc.com/index.cfm/pa...at/cat2504.htm
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

The set-up in the first picture you posted is no doubt the cleanist.. very nice.

The stock center vent just doesn't flow (no pun intended) with the flat dash design of the 64-66.
Attached Images

lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Rich 5150 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
The set-up in the first picture you posted is no doubt the cleanist.. very nice.

The stock center vent just doesn't flow (no pun intended) with the flat dash design of the 64-66.
Thats my opinion as well......
Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
jocko

Thanks for all the great input - I tend to agree with your all's thoughts, including the center vent in the first pic not being "quite right".

Slow Build, interesting idea about using a combo, you're right, they do look like similar vents (i.e. the outer custom ones with the factory center ones). I double-checked on the set-up on ebay, it had 5 days left as of yesterday, and now this morning I see it has ended. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT I guess the guy sold it outright. So much for that idea, I was gonna bid on it too!

Blown240, I'm moving to Ridgecrest in a few months, you nearby?

Darkhorse, here's a link to the vents in the first pic: http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/dash-vents-77.php (Rich 5150 posted a different link to Yogi's above also - thanks Rich - and good point about vertical vents, that gives me something else to think about!)

Lakeroadster, like I mentioned above, I agree with you and Rich 5150 about that center vent - I was tossin around the idea of rigging up a horizontal vent that would be exposed when I open the ash tray... but that's still in the "hmmmm..." stages for now.

Another option is a hybrid - something like mounting below dash but putting it in a minimal sheetmetal enclosure so it looks "semi-stock". I have seen other members on here build very nice enclosures - but for my personal taste, I wouldn't want to add metal all the way across the bottom of the dash - but it does give me some more ideas. Would be nice to preserve the dash as is.

Thanks all!

Last edited by jocko; 02-19-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

How about a recessed or flush mount vent in the stock ash tray opening. Then use velcro to attach the ash tray door at shows or events.

Do you really need to cut any opening in the dash? Wouldn't under dash concealed vents and the stock defrost vents be good enough?

I am a windows down fresh air guy though... but then again it never really gets all that hot up here.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
jocko

Lakeroadster - yep, I'm starting to think the ash tray might be a good idea. And like you, I'd really rather not install a/c at all (I don't like what it does to the engine compartment either...) but the place I'm moving is hot. Like Africa hot. In Jul-Sep, it's miserable to drive a car WITH a/c, let alone without. I've lived there a few times before, so I know what I'm in for. So, not installing a/c would be me #1 choice - but circumstances may dictate the need. On the other hand, I know I'm only gonna be there about 3 years, and the next place I move to won't be the desert, so maybe, mabye I should just leave the window rolled down and breath in the 115 deg air and enjoy it for 3 years and then when I move again I won't be doing it with holes in my dash or $1K in a/c installed for nothing if I move north! (Lord knows I could spend that $1K elsewhere. On the truck of course, but elsewhere - disk brakes, etc etc)

Last edited by jocko; 02-19-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Maybe buy an inverter, install an ice machine in the bed and duct that cold air in through the removed back window?

Just kidding....

I agree with adding it if the temp's are going to be that hot!

So you got a day job going on down there in the heat for a fixed period of time? Where you headed, Phoenix?

Last edited by lakeroadster; 02-19-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
Rich 5150 69

I`m like you Jocko, I resisted the tempt for air, I have other areas it would be better spent.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
jocko

Quote:
Maybe buy an inverter, install an ice machine in the bed and duct that cold air in through the removed back window?

Just kidding....

I agree with adding it if the temp's are going to be that hot!

So you got a day job going on down there in the heat for a fixed period of time? Where you headed, Phoenix?
HA! You might be onto something there with the ice in the back of the truck.... On my way to china lake, ca - only reason I know it'll be for 3 years is because it's mil orders. Seems like an eternity because most of my recent stints have been 12-18 months in once place, so looking fwd to being "semi-settled" for a few years. After that, who knows! That's why maybe I'd be better off holding off on the a/c til I move to a 'final' spot - if I eventually settle in North Dakota, I might feel like I wasted my $ on a/c!

I've lived there before though (china lake, that is), and had a 65 impala ss (with original a/c that didn't work) and i seem to recall it was pretty miserable (the heat, that is) - enough so that you never saw many of the old car nuts, including myself, out on the road in the dead of summer unless they had an a/c kit in their cars. And I don't want to sweat out my nice seat cover, if ya know what I mean.

Last edited by jocko; 02-19-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
shrunken66stroker

It's got to be phoenix or vegas. Either way let us know what you figure out and how the unit works. I'm about to buy one myself.
shrunken66stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
I`m like you Jocko, I resisted the tempt for air, I have other areas it would be better spent.
Yep. Along with the potential for interior mods (but I think I have some ideas for workarounds from the discussions above), I'm also concerned about "modernizing" the engine compartment. While there are ways to hide some of the stuff, I can't really hide the compressor... I've got an old offy dual quad intake with dual wcfbs that I'm rebuilding and gonna install on the 283 in my truck this summer hopefully. When it's all said and done, it should look like I swapped in a few year earlier vette engine in the truck (or at least that's the plan). And a fat little sanden a/c compressor just won't look quite right hangin there next to a purdy little glass bowl fuel filter if you know what I mean!

But who knows. If it's too hot to drive it in the summer, I've kinda defeated the whole purpose - i.e. to drive it!

Last edited by jocko; 02-19-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
blown240

Quote:

Blown240, I'm moving to Ridgecrest in a few months, you nearby?
I live in OC, but I work in Blythe, Salton City, La Quinta, and Indio.
blown240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Maybe get one of those Nascar cool suits? Just not the Jeff Gordon one...
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
towersddg9

Jocko, I bought my 2.5inch vents from nostalgicairparts.com 14.99 Im going to fab in two into the ash tray area and then 1 on each side of the dash
Attached Images

towersddg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
jocko

Quote:
Maybe get one of those Nascar cool suits? Just not the Jeff Gordon one...
Now that's a good idea!! Ha - I'm only in Lemoore for a few months, I just moved out from 18 months Maryland, DC for 12 months before that, so THERE'S a temp comparison I'd like to see! Maybe I'll just drive naked. That should also keep me from getting any tickets, if I get pulled over...
Old 02-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
...... I don't want to sweat out my nice seat cover....
Quote:
..... Maybe I'll just drive naked...
Uhmm if you're worried about getting sweat on your seat you might want to rethink that driving naked idea...

Last edited by lakeroadster; 02-19-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #21
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by towersddg9 View Post
Jocko, I bought my 2.5inch vents from nostalgicairparts.com 14.99 Im going to fab in two into the ash tray area and then 1 on each side of the dash
thanks towersddg9 - that is a good idea - that would look like the outer panels on the very fist pic I posted, but make for a much nicer - and somewhat stock looking - center set of vents. GREAT idea. The 2.5 round vents kinda emulate the big center factory balls, so it will look nice in the center of the dash. I am interested to see how it turns out for you. I thought Nostalgia Air had a nice selection of vent options, etc - posted above. They have a lot of cool stuff. Is the last picture you posted just of what you've done to the firewall? Is that little circular hole in the top of the dash just your defrost vent I assume? (my truck's in storage right now for a few more weeks, so I can't go look at it to answer my own question...)

The wheels are a turnin... what about a diverter valve in the piping to the defrost vents that let one run a/c when desired and defrost when desired!? Probably wouldn't cool the interior down very quickly since it wouldn't be blowin me in the face. Maybe I need to just reconsider Lakeroadster's ice in the bed approach...

Last edited by jocko; 02-19-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #22
jocko

Quote:
Uhmm if you're worried about getting sweat on your seat you might want to rethink that driving naked idea...
Good point. Scratch that idea.... so to speak.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
Rich 5150 69

Just happened to run across this thought I would share it...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_5077wt_1167
Old 02-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
jocko

HMM. Exact same price they ask for on their website. Guess they are just advedrtising on ebay also. Nothin wrong with that!
http://www.classicautoair.com/64_66_..._Chevy_AC.html
Old 02-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #25
Tfish

I like the combo of the three spoke side vents and the stock ac vent in the middle. I am interested to see how towersddg9's setup comes out though. I have never really seen the need for an ashtray in any of my vehicles... they end up just getting stuffed with straw wrappers. I personally love the look of the stock ac vent and knew the first time I saw one it had to be on my truck! I can see others point how it doesn't "flow" but it looked so damn cool I didn't care haha! Good luck and I hope to see some cool progress as I will be faced with this same decision in the future.
Tfish is offline   Reply With Quote