The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
framedragger01

Seat upholstery

Hey guys im looking to re-upholster my bench seat in my 86 and looking at some kits and they label them as black and silver vinyl/velour. But I dont want silver, why dont they just sell black velour seat covers. Does anyone have a picture of the covers that are labeled as black and silver vinyl/velour.
framedragger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Seat upholstery

I can't offer any pics, but welcome to the forum framedragger01.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Not a great pic through the window at night, but this is the LMC upholstery in black vinyl and silver velour.

swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

There was an article in this months Custom Classic Trucks showing seat upholstery in a square. The pictures look like it almost matches the factory upholstery, and it shows the seat covers coming from LMC. Has anyone seen them in person?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
nbpro
Account Suspended

can't offer any pics
site Vendor That can make you just about anything you would want.
Specializing in Custom Interiors
Stitch@the***************.com
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Rons86

Why not take the seat to an upholstery shop, pick out what fabric you want and have them do it for you. I'm all for doing it myself, but not when the cover and padding from LMC is easily twice what a shop will do it for you. A shop will build up the foam as needed and fix any broken items.
Rons86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
Stitch
Account Suspended

I don't know about easily twice. If you want a quality job you are going to have to pay for it. We recover bench seats in cloth for anywhere from $500 on up. So LMC is not easily twice the price. But an upholstery shop should be able to make it right and no what to do to fix the seat if there are problems.

On a side note, I can make you a cover for your bench seat for $250 in cloth but it'll be exactly the color and material you pick out not just what LMC has in stock or available
Posted via Mobile Device
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
jrcaprai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
I don't know about easily twice. If you want a quality job you are going to have to pay for it. We recover bench seats in cloth for anywhere from $500 on up. So LMC is not easily twice the price. But an upholstery shop should be able to make it right and no what to do to fix the seat if there are problems.

On a side note, I can make you a cover for your bench seat for $250 in cloth but it'll be exactly the color and material you pick out not just what LMC has in stock or available
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey Stitch, what would you charge for a Leather Bench?
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
Stitch
Account Suspended

Before I answer that let me make a statement that is true in most cases. Leather seats, even ones from the factory, are leather on the surface where your body touches and vinyl on the trim and everywhere else. The only main exception to the rule is european cars like Mercedes, BMW, and Audis. If you want me to make the sear cover with a leather surface and vinyl trim you can add $400 to the price. If you want everything leather add $100 more to the $400 extra. Also, I can tell you that the technology in the process of making vinyl now is phenomenal. The vinyl looks and feels like leather. The only thing you miss out on is the leather smell and usually that's gone within a few months anyways. Also vinyl wears better, cleans up better, and won't shrink up and draw up like leather will.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
framedragger01

thanks guys. That picture is exactly what I was expecting. The truck is going to be flat daytona blue with white rally wheels and I really wanted all black interior and the silver is just not gonna work in my opinion. Stitch I may look into getting some seats from you. I considered all vinyl seats but I keep thinking back to my 72 chevelle vinyl seats and all the times it felt like I burnt my legs and back on the hot ass vinyl.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
jrcaprai

So about 650.00 with seating Leather and back and sides vinyl
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Stitch
Account Suspended

Framedragger-I can do them cloth with vinyl trim If you'd like. Or I can do it all cloth. Depends on what you want.

Jr.- that's exactly right
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
framedragger01

stitch do you have any pics similar to what it may look like, color doesnt matter.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
Stitch
Account Suspended

Nope sorry. But I can tell you that of you want me to sew up your seat cover there are a multitude of different ways the seat cover can be put together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
framedragger01

Ok cool cause im looking for a low key look but a little old skool look. ill definitly hit you up when the time comes to get some. hopefully sooner than later
Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #16
Stitch
Account Suspended

No problem. Just let me know. To get a simple old school look we could do like a 1 1/2" wide pleat across the surface of the seat in cloth and do vinyl trim with a cord between the surface and trim
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #17
tucsonjwt

If you want excellent custom work you will have to pay for it. However, as mentioned above, if you just need a driver quality seat a local shop can come very close to stock fabric and look for less money. I think stock square seats are not very comfortable, so if I had to do it over again I would look for 2000 and up Silverado or Sierra seats with a factory center console or get Sebring convertible seats with console. You can get those seats for $250-$500 and sometimes the foam and fabric or leather are still serviceable. Just need to fab up the brackets/electrical, since seat belts are integrated.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #18
1986swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
If you want excellent custom work you will have to pay for it. However, as mentioned above, if you just need a driver quality seat a local shop can come very close to stock fabric and look for less money. I think stock square seats are not very comfortable, so if I had to do it over again I would look for 2000 and up Silverado or Sierra seats with a factory center console or get Sebring convertible seats with console. You can get those seats for $250-$500 and sometimes the foam and fabric or leather are still serviceable. Just need to fab up the brackets/electrical, since seat belts are integrated.
I agree about the custom work. You get what you pay for. I am not a fan of LMC as they are like the IKEA of truck parts -- some nice stuff but the quality is poor (and customer service). Classic Parts of America is much, much better but I digress. I took my square bench to an upholstery shop and wanted an OEM look but all black vinyl. He recommended two types of vinyl finishes: one to match the finish of my interior panels and the other to offset by using a finish that resembled leather. Incredible outcome and the shop was able to reuse my existing foam (seat and back) but reinforced the bottom foam with a jute material so that the spring wires would not cut into the foam. I think it turned out great. See pics below.And yes, in one of the pics, it is an LMC replacement plastic interior door panel. Squeeks like there's no tomorrow as it rubs against the metal door so I'll be remounting it shortly with Dynamat or similar. What a poor purchase decision on my part but I just put my big girl panties on and dealt with it.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...hp?albumid=977
1986swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
tucsonjwt

Looks nice. My local upholsterer added more and firmer seat foam to try and make it last longer - raised the seat height about an inch but hopefully it won't flatten out as quickly.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #20
1986swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Looks nice. My local upholsterer added more and firmer seat foam to try and make it last longer - raised the seat height about an inch but hopefully it won't flatten out as quickly.
Yes. True. My upholstery shop did the same for my bench. I sit a little higher but this bench should last another 25 years without a problem.

If you have a photo of your bench, it would be great to see it. I always like to see what others have done with their upholstery.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #21
tucsonjwt

I covered mine up with a Walmart close to OEM color fabric seat cover, and don't want to pull it off for a pic (lots of hooks and straps to keep it tight). But it looks just like your seat only with OEM style fabric. Door panel is just painted over stock with local upholsterer insert and carpet bottom. I like your Huskyliners, like mine, but I added Walmart treadmill mat to protect the hump and under the seat (outside).
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #22
rayfinseats

Some upholstery shops will do your seat for what it costs for a kit that is made in a sweat shop and you have to put it on yourself.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #23
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinseats View Post
Some upholstery shops will do your seat for what it costs for a kit that is made in a sweat shop and you have to put it on yourself.
One thing for sure you get exactly what you pay for in a shop or a do it yourself kit. Quality is something you pay for $$$...Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #24
1986swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
One thing for sure you get exactly what you pay for in a shop or a do it yourself kit. Quality is something you pay for $$$...Vernski
Ditto!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #25
InLimbo

Hey Stitch, have you ever done any seat covers in "mexican blanket"? And where are you at in SC - I am in the Charleston area.
InLimbo is offline   Reply With Quote