The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
samstheman

front lower spring cut ?

I want to know how much coil to cut for a 1/2 to 3/4 in drop > I already have a 3'' drop spindle and removed a 2'' lower spring from cpp that rode really bad they sold me one that was for a car. And put in a 1 1/2" lower western spring that rides great but didnt drop it where I thought It was going to be it sits a little high now .
samstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
1LowToy

Re: front lower spring cut ?

Pics man pics. I did the same to mine but put a new stock spring in and it's a tad high. 3" spindle and one coil off a stock spring is too low for practical use. I should have went with a half coil cut. Keep this in mind, all springs are different. Cuttin a half of of one does not mean it wil work for another. If I were you I'd let those 1.5 settle in for a few miles and I think you will be happy. If not roll those springs north to me.
Attached Images

1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
Altec
Getcha Pull

I agree with 1LowToy. Give them more time to settle. Pay a fat chick to sit on your core support while your not using the truck. That'll sag the springs a bit!
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
1LowToy

Set her down and take off a couple of spark plug wires. OOPs I didn't say that.

I need to rework my rear springs as I have the chevy lean. The pic above is with 3" spindle and one coil and it's just not practical. So now I have new moog stock springs and yeah now it's too high. But until I get the back where I want it by reworking the springs then I'll do some front spring massaging.

For your truck with the 1.5s in it check your alignment and let it ride for a while.

Oh yeah Post pics!!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
samstheman

[quote=1LowToy;4578306]Set her down and take off a couple of spark plug wires. OOPs I didn't say that.

I need to rework my rear springs as I have the chevy lean. The pic above is with 3" spindle and one coil and it's just not practical. So now I have new moog stock springs and yeah now it's too high. But until I get the back where I want it by reworking the springs then I'll do some front spring massaging.

For your truck with the 1.5s in it check your alignment and let it ride for a while.

Oh yeah Post pics!![/qu

Well these are the pics of 1.5 drop spring and I nipped a 1/4 coil plus 3'' drop spindle=4.5and a 5'' flip in back
Attached Images

Last edited by samstheman; 03-27-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: no pics
Old 03-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
1LowToy

Nice Stepper Sam. Looks to me you hjave the suspension right. Your sterring drag link is about 1 inch above the tierod on the spindle and that is correct for steering. I think you may have a lot of wheel diameter holding the truck up. Are those 19 or 20s?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
samstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LowToy View Post
Nice Stepper Sam. Looks to me you hjave the suspension right. Your sterring drag link is about 1 inch above the tierod on the spindle and that is correct for steering. I think you may have a lot of wheel diameter holding the truck up. Are those 19 or 20s?
Thanks there 20/8.5 front 20/10 rear I have a brand new truck full size and I leave it parked I love driving this old truck Im just trying to work out all the bugs.