The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Wyosonny

1990 v3500 dash

well here is the idea. Smooth steel dash like my old 58 had. may have bitten off more had I want to chew.

Plan is to TIG on backing material to both fill the holes and work as support. Once that is done, thin coat of mud, and paint Anyone want to throw in their .02 on the process
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
pig rig

Re: 1990 v3500 dash

thats what I was thinking of doing with mine but then I thought way to far into it and came up with not having that 1/4" of foam and vinyl would make a big differance in the way it fit. so I made my own and scrapped it. how dose it fit with it stripped down?

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Wyosonny

my truck is still in paint prison, hope it will make bail by the end of the week. Right off the bat it is amazing the differences in hole size and placement. There was no laser or robot stamping these out. There is easily a 1/4" difference in the two defrost cut outs alone. The gauge bezel is probably the one place that makes me think this is a bigger project than I want right now. While I am sure that I can get it right given enough time and malted beverages, this may be moved to a back burner. When i get my truck back I will post up a couple of glamour shots, and a dry fit on the dash in case there is someone else thinking about this little venture. It may save somebody 6 hours of scraping and sanding.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
pig rig

haha I was just thinking I'd get after it with a wire wheel and see how big of mess I can make. after looking at yours I might look at cuttin all the flat away and replace it and just use the radius parts
and talking about being inconstant I'm thinking after making 20,000 parts a week a guy is going to lose intrest fast

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote