The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
AlaskaMatt

double cardon in rear

Anyone run one on a 4x4? I've been fighting driveline vibes due to angles and am just about ready to go a whole new direction and get the double cardon setup.

Just to answer questions, I have been through the whole driveline. All u joints are good (new), tires are balanced, pinions bearings are solid etc.

I am going to try to pick up some shims tomorrow and try one more time to get it right (rear pinion is too high) before giving up. Shims are cheap.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 04-25-2011 at 01:33 AM.
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Burt4x4

Re: double cardon in rear

I run one, my diff is pointed right at my xfer..well minus 2deg cus I have a bit of axel wrap..self canceling hahhaa
But ya works great for me. Oh I also switched too flange mount at the xfer too
Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
turp mcspray

My blazer has a 6" front, 8" rear skyjacker lift. I had a new driveshaft made with a joint on the transfercase end. Zero vibration. If you do run a joint, the other end of the shaft needs to be straight in line with the pinion. Mine is a little down (like 1 degree) so the u-joint has some movement. Is you blazer lifted, or stock height?
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
AlaskaMatt

skyjacker 2.5 lift front 4 rear (all spring). Before I pulled the shims that skyjacker has in place from the factory my pinion was straight up at my t case (they appear to be 6 degree shims). With no cardon joint you can imagine how out of phase it was. I pulled the shims and it helped a bunch but it's not gone. I still need to drop the pinion a few more degrees to equal the angle at the T case. However simply reversing the 6 degree shims would be too much.

I did pick up some smaller shims today and will give it a go. I am hoping I end up with about -1 degree total pinion angle when I am done. Right now I am sure if you subtract the t case angle from the rear pinion you would end up with a positive number. Wishing I had one of those gravity angle finders right now. But you can see it even by eye.

If it doesn't work, then cardon joint and put the original shims back in to point it at the T case once again.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 04-25-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
vtblazer

Yep, from Jesse @ High Angle Drivelines.
Attached Images

vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
AlaskaMatt

Total failure today. Installed the shims and had all sorts of new rumbles. Still had the same rumble at cruise. It kicks in at 55 and is most pronounced at light load. Yanked them back out.

Back to square one. I may pick up a gravity angle finder and try for some exact measurements but I think I had to be within 2 degrees of correct just through trial and error of some different shims.

Frustrated and thinking this really may be from somewhere else. I just cannot imagine what else to check, I've really been through everything twice.

My rear end is not great, but everything I have ever read says they don't vibrate they whine and then go bang.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 04-27-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
72k5mike

I have one in the rear and it is great!

I did a 63" rear spring swap with a bit of a shackle reversal. The shackle reversal pointed my pinion up straight at the transfercase. I ended up bringing a spare front driveshaft to the d-shaft shop with my rear shaft, and they mounted the double cardon joint up to my old rear shaft.
72k5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
bigbadchev72
People know me

Just out of curiosity what tires are you running? aggressive mud tires?

I bought a High angle driveline chasing my tail on vibes while running boggers, i never got them with my 39.5 boggers, but my 35s were horrible. Might want to check that out.

Also I do not regret buying the high angle shaft one bit, it is total beef!
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
AlaskaMatt

No boggers just BFG AT's. I am going to pull the rear shaft tonight and drive to work tomorrow in front wheel drive. That should help isolate the issue.

I did that once before but it was winter and the roads were crap, so not a very good test.

Matt

My Website
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
Mike C

I had a double cardan shaft made for the back of my Jimmy about 15 years ago. This is a good mod. My original shaft was worn out and almost too short. Actually without lifting the truck I probably would have had to replace it sooner!

Mine is a Tom Woods shaft and was about $350 with shipping at the time. When I did the SF 14 bolt swap I had to drill the perches and shift the axle back in order to not have to shorten the shaft, but that had the added benefit of centering the tires in the wheel well.

Just because all of your joints are new doesn't mean the slip joint is not worn out and that the shaft is not bent.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
kilomanjaro

Driving in fwd may help isolate if it is the rear end making the vibration.....it may not make the vibration unless the rear end is under load though....just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device
00 Ford F-350 Super Duty 7.3L
09 Dodge Challenger SRT-8
10 Ford Expedition Limited
kilomanjaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #12
AlaskaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilomanjaro View Post
Driving in fwd may help isolate if it is the rear end making the vibration.....it may not make the vibration unless the rear end is under load though....just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gee thanks for being a downer John! Ha!

We can hash it out over the campfire tomorrow night.

For everyone's update. Totally smooth in FWD. There is still some things going on, but I think they have another source and are an altogether other issue.

Matt

My Website
Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #13
AlaskaMatt

Well threw new u joints in and vibes are tamed for now. The "old" ones were new in in february when I had the new drive shaft built so whatever is tearing them up is still there, but i bought myself some time.

90% settled on doing the double cardon, just need to squirrel away the cash.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 05-01-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #14
69TowRig

I noticed a lot of vibration in mine when I first bought it. As it turned out the u-joints were out of phase (and the joints were trashed). The driveshaft had apparently been pulled apart at some point and put back together with the u-joints out of line with each other. Once I pulled it apart and re-assembled it correctly all the driveline vibration disappeared.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote