The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2003, 08:25 AM   #1
dmurphy68

Question Gas tank

Ok here is my problem. just got truck running and back on the road. I went to the gasstation and filled up, i mean full. I have done this befor no problem. brought the truck home and smelled gas real bad. started looking around and it was spewing out of my filler neck. so the only way i could get it to stop was jack up the drivers side. took the cap off and it looked old and warn so got to the bone and get one. put it on let the jack down and still leaking not as bad. how to fix this?

took my seat out and it looked like it was comming back down the neck on the inside too. help I realy dont have the money right now to go to the blazer tank. but wat to drive the truck.

I smoke but dont want my truck to lol

thanks
Darren

No free man shall be debarred the use of arms
- Thomas Jefferson

Later Darren
http://www.myspace.com/dmurphy68

Last edited by dmurphy68; 04-01-2003 at 08:27 AM.
dmurphy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:43 AM   #2
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I had similar problems with a full tank on right hand bends.

1. Buy a brand new gas cap from one of the vendors on the board, about $5. The seal on mine (34 year old original) had gone porous and gas would start to seep through it after a few bends. This cured the problem. Just make sure you get the right cap either vented or unvented depending on your fuel system.
2. You can get a replacement rubber neck grommet from the same vendors to stop it running back into the cab. I have one but haven't fitted it yet, I understand they can be a bit of a b**ch to fit.
3. Don't overfill it. Gas will always expand with heat and if you overfill the tank it has to go somewhere.
4. Give up the smokes, they'll kill you one way or another, (although at least going up with your truck and a loud bang is quicker than cancer) 4 years a quitter and counting! Lecture over! LOL

Hope this helps

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:58 AM   #3
mrein3

I have two tanks. The one behind the seat and an add-on saddle tank. When I fill them both in the summer I'm usually heading out on a road trip. I like to drain the saddle tank first. What I do is run the seat tank for 20 miles - that is two gallons for me. Then I switch over to the saddle tank and run it until it is empty.

I have a brand new cap on my seat tank. It always leaks out the cap if I park it full of gas in the summer. Without a charcoal canister/recovery system the expanding gas has to go somewhere.

I already bought a 1972 Blazer tank. When I install the Blazer tank under the bed I'm going to fab a recovery system out of a charcoal canister I have out of a Monte Carlo. The '72 tank has the right amount of fuel line connections to make the recovery system work. Everybody poo poos the emission control systems on these rigs but it sure beats smelly gas all over my paint.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:40 PM   #4
1-PU70

How is the seat (or lip) on the filler neck, where the cap sits? Take a pice of 2x4 and a pice of fine sand paper. Stuf a rag in the filler neck and sand the seat (or lip). You will see if it has any high or low spots. If it does sand till they are gone. This will help your cap seat correct.
1970 CST/10 402,700R4,3:73 posi,AC,PS,PB,TLT,PW,Buckets with heaters
1-PU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:49 PM   #5
dmurphy68

the lip is fine I guess i will not fill up as fas next time. Just bothers me because at $1.75 a gal it just makes you want to cry seeing it flow onto the ground

Darren

No free man shall be debarred the use of arms
- Thomas Jefferson

Later Darren
http://www.myspace.com/dmurphy68
dmurphy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:40 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I find that as long as you don't gas up a couple blocks from home (and headed home) I never have any problems.
As for a gas cap, the dreaded Auto Zone has them. I have bought both locking and non-locking and never had sealing trouble in turns.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote