The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
meter swinger

opinions on a 68 gmc i'm looking at

i'm considering getting this GMC. as you can somewhat tell by my crummy cell pics from this morning it has issues. it's for sale locally on a car lot, i know the guys fairly well and have bought from him in the past. anyway, i've always wanted a 67-72, but have never jumped on one. this would be the first. ive had three 55-59's and two square's but i don't know much about this series. funny thing about the rig is that it's leave springs in the rear, and 5-lug all the way around. makes me wonder if it's not the original frame or if its really a 68 or a 72? has 454/400 in it. bed floor is beat up, passenger door bottom skin (outer) is rusted out, floor pans look ok. i'm sure ther has to be more rust in it though. overall its pretty rough shape. he's in it for 2300. and wants 3k for it. the price is not so much a concern to me as the condition. at any rate you guys expertise is first rate and i want to know what ya'll think?
jump on it? or pass on it?
THANKS!
Attached Images

meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Shyguy

Re: opinions on a 68 gmc i'm looking at

I would have to look it over real good and check the body with a magnet.

Since it is a GMC the leaf springs are standard.

$3000 seems kind of steep for around here.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I've seen a lot better bodywise for 3 grand.But it does have a big block and some other nice pieces.The suspension isn't stock if it's 5 lug.It may be a good disc conversion or not.The BB may not have the factory stands,I think you can do better for the $$ at least around here,maybe not where you're at.Try looking thru the classifieds here on the BB abd see if there's something there comparable.The more research you do the better you outcome will likely be.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Ackattack

I think you can do better for that price.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

If it's a factory BB shortbed it's kinda rare. look for the high hump, remote PS resevoir, BB motor stands, 4 row radiator etc.
Does it have the SPID on the glovebox door? Check the VIN on the door post, should tell ya if it was a v-8, 1/2-3/4 ton. Check the numbers on the frame rail on the drivers side next to the motor, also think it should have the fatter drive shaft.
Check the body mounts at the frame for rust damage. Also check the rear end for a 12 bolt or Dana 60 (3/4 ton).

Beat em down on the price..good luck!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Just noticed the inner fenderwells are missing...go over that suspension carefully..could be a cobbed up mess.
All this can be fixed for $$$$

Use all this to drag the price down....then buy it.

Here's a pic of my slammed BB 70...very cool look.
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
m6z

I think 3k is fair for a running/driving short bed truck with a big block. Like other have said, check the body over real good and locate all the problem spots. Check over the frame and make sure it hasn't been shortened. Check the SPID if it has one to verify it was an orginal short wheel base truck.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
m6z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I think you can do better for that price.
Can you please point me in the direction of a running and driving short bed with a big block truck for 3k? You are even semi local to me. I look all the time and haven't had any luck finding a decent priced running and driving short bed. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Just wondering where everyone is finding these sweet deals on these trucks.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....

Last edited by m6z; 08-09-2011 at 04:43 PM.
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
BMERDOC

He made one mistake. He told you how much he has in it. I'd get it. I paid $700.00 for my inliner and had to spend another $800 to get it road worthy. As long as he knows your interested let him itch. Let him come down on his own price. Pay as little as possible without being a D. Shorty BB's ain't falling off the trees so I'd try to add it to my collection!
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Frkypunk70

Looks to me like someones unfinished project. They seem to put the money into the drivetrain, then decided to dump it....definetly look at the body. Like someone said check it out with a magnet, otherwise you might be opening a can a worms. Look at the floor pans, floor supports and inside around the front window. If you are too excited about it have someone else look at it. Just my advise.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
big_al_71

I think it is worth the 3k all day long specially in my neck of the woods. bb swb dont come around too often. just saying.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
nightmare

454's did not come come from the factory in these trucks. Engine has definitely been replaced.

Agreed, looks like someones unfinished project. check the SPID (on the glove box door), check the drivers door B-pillar, and the frame (by the power steering gear box) for the VIN. If they match, the frame is original to the truck. The 5-lug stuff could have been swapped in, or could be original.

Another place to check is under the cab. check the inner rocker panels as well as the cab mounts.

I'm sure you could get something better elsewhere, but with a big block and short bed, I'd offer $2k if it runs and is road worthy.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
dubds10
Stalker Nate

BB SWB GMC dead is a $1500 truck. Alive is deff worth $3gs so the price isn't a concern at all. That truck would sell fast all day long up here at $3gs. I'd just check the cab mounts and windowshield lip/roof area as those are PITA to replace. Any other rust repair is easy for the most part. But I'd make sure it's a true SWB truck and not a cut up hack.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
tonypaul

That truck looks almost like mine did when I purchased it, maybe mine was a little more worse shape. All it takes is money and time, if you got that- you can have a killer truck.
Name:  truck12-23 020sm1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  61.4 KB
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote